Sign in to follow this  
Alliexx

island maker looking for model maker :)

Hi all,

I'm at the moment busy trying to create a new island for arma2.

The project begins to take shape, but my problem is that i do not have the right buildings and some plants.

The default objects from bis are not enough to finish of the map, to give it its final touch.

Is there any of you model makers that is interested in joining my project, and maybe want to have a "platform" to distribute your addons.

The objects i'm looking for have to do with buildings for an airport (entebbe uganda) and African Jungle like plants and trees.

A good Island needs new specific objects fitting the surrounding, and a good addon needs the right surrounding to show its true wonders.

I do not know if it is a problem i'm asking that here, but i really need help, the Visitor tool on its own, the placing of the objects is more then enough work, i do however try to build things myself, but i noticed that learning to use O2 is going to take quite some time for me.

I still have more then enough to do on the island itself, still enough errors and bugs, object placing and road laying to do.

Please anybody interested, drop me a line.

Thanks,

Alphons

Overwhelming response on this article..

Come on guys, isn't there anyone who is in for some fun in designing some great buildings for the better of the Arma community?

The buildings/houses etc. we are looking for are African of nature and there are not a lot of buildings like that to be found in the standard add-ons.

Marc.

Indeed the response has been just something I'd expect for my own post similar to this. Its good to know that I'm not alone, but its sad to see how little response there is for interesting project like this.

I personally cant model good enough to offer anything viable. Sure I can make some houses with few boxes, but that's as far as I can go.

No buildings, but I found these trees by Berghoff pretty nice:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=news&id=937

original thread:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=70;t=73931

The readme states one could use these models in Maps for ArmA or VBS2 but the files need to unmodified so I take a guess if asked nicely he will allow reconfiguration for ArmA2.

They're binarized but I could load them into Visitor 3 so I guess (again :p ) they could work in ArmA2.

For more palms, you can use ArmA1 objects, there are about 5 different ones.

Edited by Icewindo

Icewindo : I use A1 stuff, but I'm unable to open Berghoff's from his beta. All textures missing, lod1 problem, plant height from ground problem etc... I've contacted him, we'll see.

Alliexx: any luck ? I have problems finding buildings for larger towns, suburbs and villages are almost done :)

Making models is extremely time consuming. Most modellers get much more satisfaction out of making a vehicle. Some model builders here, such as myself, might be keen to help but I know myself - I'd want to see screenshots and test builds of the land before i committed any time to help make buildings or vegetation.

Rocket: even if you would make closed buildings out of basic shapes? Textures could be done by us?

Whoooo, and then suddenly something happens here :)

At the moment our project, that is Marc and Me, has come to a hold.

This is because we have to start learning the O2 modeling ourselfs.

I did have some experience with AutoCad, so i started to make a model, this ended with the problem of getting the model over to O2, this lead me to 3Ds Max, and what a luck somebody on this forum released a toolbox for 3Ds Max.

So i started with the cool video tutorials, well that was a bummer, his tutorials start when the texturing and UV mapping is already done :(.

So here we are now, i have to learn to operate that 3dsmax up to where his tutorials start.

But to get to the point, here is some idea:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9969/idea.jpg

Later,

Alphons

Whoooo, and then suddenly something happens here :)

At the moment our project, that is Marc and Me, has come to a hold.

This is because we have to start learning the O2 modeling ourselfs.

I did have some experience with AutoCad, so i started to make a model, this ended with the problem of getting the model over to O2, this lead me to 3Ds Max, and what a luck somebody on this forum released a toolbox for 3Ds Max.

So i started with the cool video tutorials, well that was a bummer, his tutorials start when the texturing and UV mapping is already done :(.

So here we are now, i have to learn to operate that 3dsmax up to where his tutorials start.

But to get to the point, here is some idea:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9969/idea.jpg

Later,

Alphons

The reason the videos only display the workings of the toolbox is because the internet is literally littered with tutorials on modeling, uv mapping and texturing, in addition there are great books and training dvds all of which would give you a more solid and better understandings of the basics. Just look :)

Wow Alliexx! Well Done!

Thats looking pretty good!

I might have to have a go myself... I need a couple of simple closed whitewashed cottages and some "mysterious standing stones" for my Scotland island - coz we have lots of that stuff here... shouldn't be unbelievably difficult... should it?

hehe - Yet another Famous Last Words.....

B

Hi all,

Its indeed not that difficult, you just need to sit down for it, and watch some youtube video's about it.

Making closed buildings is very easy, the texturing of closed buildings seems to be straight forward too.

I want to make all Open buildings, thats a bit more work, but like i said it is not that difficult.

Tonight i hope to be at the stage that i can texture it, and then i can start where the tutorials for the toolbox begin :)

It seems that when you have the hangof this programm you can indeed import autocad models 1 to 1 into 3ds max. You might have to rearrange some polygons, but it mostly imports perfectly.

I did start making the models in 3ds now, but it works almost the same as AutoCad.

About 2 night fooling around and you will be able to model some stuff with it.

I hope to be able to post some result soon.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/323/towerii.jpg

Later,

Alphons

Edited by Alliexx

If you are seriously interested in modeling, then I highly recommend modo. It is just so awesome in all aspects. There is so many tutorial videos for it you'll spend week just watching them through.

My excuse to use BIS objects on African island that I'm making is that the country is an old British/Dutch/French/Spanish colony with buildings made under a "huge European influence" ;)

If you are seriously interested in modeling, then I highly recommend modo. It is just so awesome in all aspects. There is so many tutorial videos for it you'll spend week just watching them through.

Im really quite interested in modo, i had a pretty good look at the 30 day trial and saw some great features and its very reasonably priced.

Even though I think there are probably more things I dislike about max, like the fact that with each release they just add more plugins into the old core and advertise them as new additions, and that the latest version is always the buggiest, the only thing I didn't like about modo was the lack of any sort of a modifier stack like in max or a history like in maya, forcing a destructive workflow, but its constantly seems to be coming out with great new features and updates so hopefully they implement some sort of history stack thing, i'd definitly like to spend more time with it.

On the subject of simple buildings, i'd reccomend adding a second UV channel for AO lightmaps, its pretty easy to setup and it adds a lot visually, im working on some western european sort of buildings at the moment, they're still very wip at the moment, theres still alot of work to be done on them but i'd be happy to donate a few to map makers

manaisland5.th.jpg

buildingtest12.th.jpg

buildingtest5.th.jpg

Edited by mikebart