Sign in to follow this  
Solomani

2S6M1 Tunguska

URThis addon puts the teeth back into the Tunguska. This re-worked Tunguska models the 2S6M1 and the 9M311-M1 SAM. I based the AI gun burst modes and missile engagement ranges on published data. The 2S6M1 will engage any enemy air target within 10km given LOS.

Features:

Re-worked AI gun range/mode and missile ranges

18km detection radius

Missile range: 2.4 - 10km

Gun range: 0 - 4km

Gun: Increased hit and dispersion to better simulate 2 x 30mm cannons

AI will engage any air target within 10km if it has line of sight (LOS)

http://64.237.124.3/pub/2S6M1_Tunguska_v1_1.zip

Edited by Solomani
URL update

good one, PMed leopard ;)

Nice, always wanted something to make them a little more threatening. Thanks for this man. :D

Man, now I have to be careful when flying an A10 when one of these guys are present. Thanks man! Downloading now.

Yep, great "fix" man. :)

Together with Myke's F16 with warning and flares it gets pretty awesome. Remember - those flares cant be counted on TOO hard. :D

Thanks.

Alex

Solomani,

Thank you for the AddOn fix for it will undoubtedly put the spotlight on who knows how to conduct SEAD from the air and who does not, because there's a method to the madness of being a successful "Wild Weasel" pilot. It's a fact, that stock ArmA 2, in the interest of game balance, does not provide us with the benefit of true modern day real-time satellite imagery, or a JSTARS aircraft, explained here at http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jstars/ , nor does it give us the E-3 AWACS for air-to-air targeting. So, we have to utilize the primary role of ArmA 2 to its fullest to defeat threats like the Tunguska.

So, those who love to fly in ArmA 2 have to "improvise, adapt, and overcome" to complete the suppression [of] enemy air defense (SEAD) missions by supporting the ground war, for it's the eyes and ears of those on the ground relaying to their air-support counterparts the locations of SEAD objectives, and the troops on the ground can, even without air support, complete the SEAD mission by destroying them with shoulder-launched AT, armor, a surreptitiously [sneaky/stealthily] placed mine or C-4, or by using the laser designator and a coordinated laser guided bomb run.

So, many thanks again for AddOn boost which will not only put teeth back into the Tunguska, but that it's bite will tear the wings off any pilot who blatantly tries to prove that they can win the SEAD mission without the help of the warriors on the ground, for that's why teamwork is so important in our cooperative missions. HOOAAH!

Here is an improved config mate:

http://pastebin.jonasscholz.de/266

I would advise you to drop the script for multiple reasons:

* if at all, you need to use XEH or you break addon compatibility

* no sleep in the loop => bad performance impact

* no exit condition for the loop

* does not handle savegame load, vehicle dead and respawning

* _vehpos = _this select 0; - if the vehicle moves, this is no longer true

So again I suggest you to drop the script or release it separately

to let mission makers use it wisely if needed.

Take care.

Okie doke. I will look into integrating this with CBA/XEH. I will also update the script to address the issues that Kju noticed. When I have it all sorted, I will release both a pre-loaded and a standalone 2S6M1. This way mission makers can either call the script or use the ready-to-go editor icon.

Edited by Solomani

Sounds great. Kju have tons of experience so it will just be for the better. ;)

Cant wait for new version.

Fair and good points. Too bad you removed your explanations Solomani.

An additional vehicle to the replacement might be the best mix.

In the end your release posts wasn't clear enough, so I had a closer look.

Anyways, your effort is very much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and constructive comments. It is much appreciated. :)

Ahh...Kju you read my babbling prose? lol After reading up at your site, I felt I needed to do more learning and less commenting. :D

Here's is a refreshed explanation of my methods:

My intent for this mod was to give the Russian faction a more up to date and effective weapon system. To the credit of BIS, the Tunguska's config is spot on for a 2S6 with the exception of AI engagement ranges and the missile tracking speed. When I changed the engagement ranges, I noticed the AI still did not engage targets beyond visual range. This is where the script came to be (i.e. the "teeth"). The script seemed to work nicely, so I spec'd out the AI gun ranges and missiles for a 2S6M1.

The targeting script (named ata.sqf) simulates radar and other external inputs (like AWACS) by grabbing all "Air" objects within 10km. Throughout my testing, I used just about all of the "nearXXX" commands before I tried nearEntities. This new Arma2 command doesn't seem to suffer from performance loss in a loop like nearObjects does. I started off using nearOjbects, but this command at 10000 meters was painfully slow even with 6 seconds of sleep time in the loop. To my amazement, nearEntities runs flawlessly in continual loop. After looking at my code again, I see that I can now add the suggesting wait interval without ill effects of AI behavior. There are a couple of behavior modes that I am trying to avoid; missile spamming and crazy turret traversing from conflicting commands.

Stay tuned for an update...

Edited by Solomani

Right now this is a standalone addon. The config has been altered such that it now matches a 2S6M1 and not a 2S6M. In addition, I am using a script to "aid" the AI in engaging targets at longer ranges. So, the config and the script compliment each other and are interdependant.

Unfortunately, I made a beginner error and began using the tag (SOL_) which was already in use. I am awaiting my login at OFPEC so that I can register (SOI_). Once this is complete, I will release my updated and signed version. This change will break any missions that were made using version 1.0. My apologies for this.

I am pleased to announce the release of version 1.1 of the 2S6M1 Tunguska.

The newest version can be found here:

http://64.237.124.3/pub/2S6M1_Tunguska_v1_1.zip

Thanks to Kju for setting me straight on the whole event handler subject.

This new version addresses some of the shortcomings of version 1.0. The script now exits properly and will re/start upon entry into the vehicle. I have integrated XEH into this addon as well which means CBA (Community Base Addons) is now a required addon for this mod. The good news here is that the event handlers for this addon should now be in their own sandbox.

I have changed the class prefix for this addon to SOI_

SOL_ was already registered with OFPEC so I have chosen this tag as my own. As a result, I have signed this addon and have included the public key for SOI_

Lastly, I noticed during testing that the SAM's where falling away after ~8.5km. To address this, I have increased the thrust time and reduced the drag coefficient for the missiles. I now double dog dare you to cross the 10km line. :)

Change Log:

Ver 1.1:

- improved missile performance (missiles were dropping off after 8km)

- hardened acquisition script (proper loop exit, init/getin event handlers)

- added XEH compatibility

- changed prefix tag to SOI_ (SOL_ was in already registered)

- signed addon

Ver 1.0

- Initial release

Can we have a replacement version so we can just shove it on the servers addon folder so the defualt Tunguska is more deadly then having to use a full addon or will this do that in anycase?

Hi first of thanks for this very cool little mod. I hope this will work nicely with the 1.05patch and is there a way to intergrate it into a mission? It would be nice if i could make a PvP mission where every player has the benifits of this addon

Edit: Ow i see now that its a "seperate" unit you place on the map? Maybe i can place the modfiles in the mission folder before i >.pbo it?

Edited by larsiano

Hi first of thanks for this very cool little mod. I hope this will work nicely with the 1.05patch and is there a way to intergrate it into a mission? It would be nice if i could make a PvP mission where every player has the benifits of this addon

Edit: Ow i see now that its a "seperate" unit you place on the map? Maybe i can place the modfiles in the mission folder before i >.pbo it?

No you need to add it to your missions in the Editor.

I was doing a bit of reading yesterday about the Tunguska.

What did you set the burst sizes to? IIRC it was a really strange number, like bursts of 82 and 200 rounds or something.

I was doing a bit of reading yesterday about the Tunguska.

What did you set the burst sizes to? IIRC it was a really strange number, like bursts of 82 and 200 rounds or something.

Yup wiki says 83 and 250. After testing, I turned the rate down to 60 (close) and 104 (short) to keep the unit from spending too much ammo.