Sign in to follow this  
shuko

SHK_pos

Nope, using .21

It's working regardless now with a few checks, so I'm not too worried about it. :)

Hmm, no idea why, but I have to do direction first, then distance second :) Regardless, I think I got it working.

_mapCenter = getMarkerPos "mapCenter";
   _rMLoc = [_mapCenter, random 360, random 4000, false, [2, 1000] ] call SHK_pos;
   while {(surfaceIsWater _rMLoc)} do {
       _rMLoc = [_mapCenter, random 360, random 4000, false, [2, 1000] ] call SHK_pos;
       };

2nd parameter is distance, 3rd parameter is direction. Been using these scripts a lot and they work great. You must be doing something wrong.

See this post as to why this is likely causing confusion. Not sure if Shuko has fixed this in his examples yet.

ok then, Meatball. :)

Maybe one day we will get an "ah!" moment that would explain everything.

Whoa, good work! This is just what I need, a way to get a random position with parameters and a blacklist.

Just a feature request: maybe add an option to only find a position on water?

As for right now, you can only choice between "find position on land" or "find position on land or water".

It would be great if you did that so I (or other people) don't have to edit the function just to make a boat spawn on water around a pier.

EDIT:

Figured out having my edit of shk_pos_getposmarker.sqf might help. It is compatibility with the old water parameter and have a option to use numbers for my change. (If I did everything right. I didn't test this 100% yet)

Marker Based Selection, new water parameter:

Optional Parameters:
 1 Boolean or Number   Allow water positions? Default is false. 0 = false (only land), 1 = true (land and water), 2 = only allow water positions (only water)

Change in shk_pos_getposmarker.sqf:

Removed the old water parameter statements and added this (including line numbers):

41    if(typeName _water == "SCALAR") then {
42      // Water position is not allowed
43      if (_water == 0) then {
44        // Position is on land, try to exit script.
45        if !(surfaceIsWater _pos) then {
46          _exit = true;
47        };
48      };
50      // Doesn't matter if position is on water or land.
51      if (_water == 1) then {
52        _exit = true;
53      };
55      // Only water position is allowed
56      if (_water == 2) then {
57        // Position is on water, try to exit script.
58        if (surfaceIsWater _pos) then {
59          _exit = true;
60        };
61      };
62    } else { // For backward compatibility
63      // Water position is not allowed
64      if !_water then {
65        // Position is on land, try to exit script.
66        if !(surfaceIsWater _pos) then {
67          _exit = true;
68        };
69      // Doesn't matter if position is on water or land.
70      } else {
71        _exit = true;
72      };
73    };

I haven't added my edit of shk_pos_getpos.sqf with this feature because I don't use it, and therefor didn't code it.

Edited by Hatifnat
Added my edit of shk_pos_getposmarker.sqf with the feature

Good to hear to got it to work.

I've made the change to the 0.22 version, which is now up on the A3 thread. It's the same script, but I'm going to just update one location.

I am having an issue with this script, it is not working when I preprocess it in my init.sqf, it is loading, but not linking to the marker I set to the pos variable, I think it may be that I am not putting the pos variable with the parameters and stuff in the right place, my code is on GitHub

Hi Shuko,

I am using this in my West To East mission and have a question/request if it does not work that way. I use this to spawn enemies. I want to have them be at a minimum distance from the player. Is this doable at this point as is with the script?

Hi Shuko,

I am using this in my West To East mission and have a question/request if it does not work that way. I use this to spawn enemies. I want to have them be at a minimum distance from the player. Is this doable at this point as is with the script?

Give the distance parameter as min and max.

myPos = [getpos player,direction,[minDistance,maxDistance]] execvm "SHK_pos.sqf";

for example:

myPos = [getpos player,random 360,[200,500]] execvm "SHK_pos.sqf";

Give the distance parameter as min and max.

myPos = [getpos player,direction,[minDistance,maxDistance]] execvm "SHK_pos.sqf";

for example:

myPos = [getpos player,random 360,[200,500]] execvm "SHK_pos.sqf";

Excellent! Thanks for the fast response.

Shuko, I am back again. ;) Is there a way to have a timeout for the script? Is there a timeout parameter? So say I wanted to spawn a Tank but script can't find big enough position, I then want to just terminate the script. That way I can spawn something else instead.

The way it works now it will hold in memory the tank spawn and perform eventually when I no longer want it.

Edited by sttosin