Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Since Dragon Rising has been released, we make a new attempt. Before you post here check the following guidelines for this thread:

1. No bashing of other users.
  2. No flaming of other users.
  3. No swearing ('crap' is not swearing).
  4. No namecalling (this includes CM moderators).
  5. No discussion how the CM Forums are moderated.
  6. No hotlinked pictures > 100 kb.
  7. No quoting of images/videos.
  8. No 'how do I' questions, use the CM Forums for product support.
  9. All other forum rules apply here too of course.
  10. Do not feed the trolls, report them instead or put them on ignore.

Any violation of the forum rules or above guidelines result in an infraction, there will be no warnings given.

Violation of the rules/guidelines repeatedly result in a 2 day vacation from the forums.

The old Dragon Rising 'discussion' is here for those who want to check it out. It's a perfect example how not to discuss here.

Edited by W0lle
Added #10

OK, thanks for the thread :) I might suggest an insta-ban policy for this topic rather than faffing about with warnings ;)

So, from what I read in my other thread, it seems that OFP : DR is pitched somewhere between COD4 and ArmA2, would that be a fair comment?

My main question would be: can all the foibles be scripted or modded out to present a more hi-fi game content to rival other hi-fi solutions? Just as the editor and scripting is the "meat" of ArmA2, it might be unwise to write off DR until it's limits have been explored in the modding arena correct?

I saw one screenie of the editor that showed an ingame LUA scripting screen. Something that would benefit ArmA2 without a doubt. Question is, how "deep" into the engine can it go?

I have it, I've installed it and played it. Initial impressions are not good. If Arma2 didnt crash so much I could have saved 18 quid

Graphically it looks bland and uninteresting and I'm maxed out on all settings. Hardcore mode is as difficult as opening an aspirin tub. Imho its a very' very dumbed down mil sim wannabe catering to your average console gamer.

On a positive note it hasn't crashed for no reason on me yet so thats +1 to CM.

I don't really know what to say about this game. I've been looking forward to it for years, between when it was an epic drawing board concept even right up to recently when I knew it was an arcade shooter with an open world... but the info regarding the final iteration of the multiplayer left me speechless.

No cd-keys/player ID, no dedicated servers, no join in progress, and no anti-cheat of any sort whatsoever.

I can't even begin to justify purchasing this game for myself anymore. My reaction was to tuck the $40 away and log in to my favorite ArmA2 server for another full night play.

Edited by Emberwolf

Arma2 FTW!!!!!

And this is also an example of what not to do.

This is a thread to discuss about a videogame called "Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising". You are not doing that. In fact, you are not doing anything, not giving any kind of feedback or insight or discussion, not even the bad kind.

Let's be serious, please.

A new review was released recently. It too gave it a lower score, 5/10, but this one is in English.

bit-tech.net | Review - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Review

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Codemasters can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Bohemia Interactive Studios then the answer is simple. No.

My fisrt impression after i stated the Campaign was not so good. The Feeling of being in a living War Environment is totaly lost.

The missions/story is very chippy and i searched the button to disable the bunny headbob fx for nothing.

The Game Feels despite acteptable FPS not so Fluid like ArmA2.

still looking for info about vehicles damage model, is it really there or just flip-flopping

still looking for info about vehicles damage model, is it really there or just flip-flopping

Found this in the review Zipper posted:

...but it’s a tremendous shame that the game doesn’t have proper destructible vehicle physics like most other mil-sims. You can blow the cars up just fine, but more detailed tactics like shooting out the wheels to immobilise a target are a no-go.

I was watching one of the 5 or so live streams of people playing DR and one had him driving around in a LAV. He got hit from an enemy rocket and was killed instantly, and the destroyed model literally looked the same as the normal one. Didn't notice any significant differences apart from a slight texture change to make it look slightly damaged. But it definitely blew up. Rather unimpressed with it, especially after the hoopla they made about their damage system.

Man this sounds pretty bad. I really wanted this to fill a void for times when I want wham-bam action including rag-doll, groovy vehicle physics, indoor combat while maintaining a tacitical edge but from the sounds of it they have mostly missed the mark. I watched maybe 35 minutes of guys playing on livestreaming last nite and never got the sense that anyone was overwhelmed with any WOW! factors.

2 days ago I stopped in Gamestop and gave them $5.00 as a preorder and it's in today but I'm not really sure I want it as I also just got Empire Total War for dirt cheap and it looks pretty snazzy.

Maybe if people who own it could give a general sense of "This game is flawed but really fun" or "lots of potential here" it could help me with my decision.

Well the question is : can i kill a tank by shooting three hours with a pistol on one single part of it (like the barrel for example), can i kill a men by sending 10 bullets in one of his feet , or is it better handled than this ?

well, i have pre ordered it.

So it should arrive soon, I wil put some screen shots as soon as i get it, so we can all believe what im writting.

Man this sounds pretty bad. I really wanted this to fill a void for times when I want wham-bam action including rag-doll, groovy vehicle physics, indoor combat while maintaining a tacitical edge but from the sounds of it they have mostly missed the mark. I watched maybe 35 minutes of guys playing on livestreaming last nite and never got the sense that anyone was overwhelmed with any WOW! factors.

2 days ago I stopped in Gamestop and gave them $5.00 as a preorder and it's in today but I'm not really sure I want it as I also just got Empire Total War for dirt cheap and it looks pretty snazzy.

Maybe if people who own it could give a general sense of "This game is flawed but really fun" or "lots of potential here" it could help me with my decision.

Were you watching Toasty01 (or something to that effect)? I ask because that's who I watched, and the game really did have some obvious flaws.

It's hard to tell without actually playing the game, but it seems like the enemies can only be active when the player gets near them. In theory, this could work well to save system resources, but it makes sniping too easy as the enemies won't react to bullets.

I remember at one point in the video, the player was the gunner of an APC and cleared out one side of a building (it was a gas depot I believe). It took some time for the AI to react, but I think it was decent. However, when he drove to the other side, the enemies were just standing around like nothing happened, despite being well within range to hear the prior battle. Even when he started shooting, they didn't try to head for cover or flee. This wasn't a distance problem either, because he was only 20-30 meters away.

That's the impression I got from the video, as well as everyone else watching, (they too found the enemy AI to be ridiculous). There's not much more I can say, though, until the demo it released for PC and I can try the game for myself. I was never excited for this game, but I'm not going troll it or refuse to try the demo. Who knows, maybe I'll really like it.

A new review was released recently. It too gave it a lower score, 5/10, but this one is in English.

bit-tech.net | Review - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Review

That seems a pretty fair review to me, Im really glad I gave ArmA 2 a chance because I originally bought it to tide me over till Dragon Rising came out! I loved the original Operation Flashpoint but after the split with CM & BIS I tried the Arma demo & didnt like it, so when I bought ArmA 2 a few months ago I wasnt really sure if I would like it but thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, anyway I was pleasantly suprised & ArmA 2 is pretty much everything I was expecting & hoping for from Flashpoint 2, while Flashpoint 2 appears to have really let the folks down who hoped the name meant it would be as good as the first!

Bought it last night and I'm not overly impressed.

FP looks almost identical to COD 4 graphics. I don't know what happened with those pre-release videos but I have this game maxxed to the ...........um max and while decent looking it is nothing special at all. Arma has better textures, effects, environment etc. Winner= ARMA II by a long shot.

FYI I get 30-70 fps on ARMA II with all settings on Very High 1680 x 1050. With FP I get 100-150FPS maxxed out.

FP controls are extremely console-fied (if that is even a word) in respect to issuing commands. Very clunky interface. However, ARMA II isn't much better and it's set up for a PC.

No lean and no TRACKIR SUPPORT!

Guns are laser like. ZERO sniper drift. I just finished an entire co-op map with sniper rifle and I could literally sprint for several hundred feet, stop and zero right on the head of an enemy at 300+ meters and drop him EVERY TIME. ZERO movement in the scope and bullet drop is very miniscule.

Kits are non-existent from what I can see. You get a pre-determined loadout and your stuck with it. Though I did get a scar with a thermal scope that was sweet.

FP movement seems very slow. Sprint seems like walk and walk seems like crawl. Kinda frustrating.

AI? My AI did exactly what I told them every time and were an asset, so in that respect the FP AI seem better to me than ARMAII.

Online FP..................I just have to put a ? for what online. No dedicated servers? Only 4 player hosted servers that I see atm, and most of those are playing campaign co-op. I see no real online to speak of ATM. Supposedly 16 v 16 max games with 3 gametypes though I haven't seen 1 yet.

So far IMHO Arma II blows FP DR out of the water in terms of gameplay, graphics and options. However, 99% of my squadmates quit playing ARMA II because of all the issues getting it to run on their rigs properly. They just gave up. So DR offers them a similar experience with less issues, albiet the graphics are very dumbed down.

All in all to me FP DR feels like a very very dumbed down, stripped down, noobified version of ARMA II.

FP is much easier to play. I was gaming and owning within 5 minutes of install with zero issues. It is very hardware friendly and it should be with the ho hum graphics and would cater to casual players who don't have the time or patience for ARMA II which unfortunately is alot of players.

Edited by ICE-Raver

What is shame, that most of you saying that game is bad, but still you bought or preordered game. In fact you say to publishers let do that again, again promise things that are not technically possible, lay and steal ideas, make renders and photoshoped sshots. If players ask why games look today as they look, its because that. Because lot of people are able to buy, preorder just because PR and previews at magazines that are dependend on advertising sales. Its sad, where game industry going :(

What is shame, that most of you saying that game is bad, but still you bought or preordered game. In fact you say to publishers let do that again, again promise things that are not technically possible, lay and steal ideas, make renders and photoshoped sshots. If players ask why games look today as they look, its because that. Because lot of people are able to buy, preorder just because PR and previews at magazines that are dependend on advertising sales. Its sad, where game industry going :(

Agreed. If I find myself liking the game based on the demo, which is highly unlikely at this point, then I will buy it. Otherwise, they ain't getting any support from me to continue down this path. ;)

I wouldn't have bought it had I been able to play a demo first.

All in all for consoles it's probably an epic play. But for PC gamers it is mediocre at best.

Seems to have HUGE LOD issues from what I've seen on Live Streams, Worse than ARMA 2. Damage model seems to be Hit point based.

"lay and steal ideas"...what did they steal, just curious since you say it ?

Anyway I have held of a purchase, I might get it eventually but then at a bargain price, not full price that is for sure, my main reason would be getting it for co-op but what is this thing about the tether in MP?