I know this has been (partially) discussed before, but I believe it's good to have it all in one thread with a nice name.
I think the AI isn't bad when it comes to strategic thinking like flanking,
but there are some very basic things they should do (without being commanded to) but they don't.
Things to keep them alive:
- running away from thrown grenades
- running away from getting run over by a vehicle
- taking ammo when they run out of it (taking it from dead bodies, taking it from the ammo boxes, sharing among themselves) - I know this is partially modded
- if they are in a vehicle and gunner is killed, they should switch to the gunner
(unless they drive fast enough to avoid getting killed?)
- if they are near an empty vehicle with a gun and they see enemies, they should try to use this vehicle gun
(it could depend on how far the vehicle is, type of the gun, and some other factors)
- taking cover/running away when overpowered (ai with an m16 vs tank)
or outnumbered (1 guy vs 10, what good is it to kill one or two when you're going to die right after, no MP thinking here please)
- and some things I forgot, feel free to add them
I suppose this all can be modded, but I haven't seen a mod that would include it all and I definitely haven't seen it running on any server.
So I think it would be best if it was all hard-coded by the devs.