Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

@ sesdelta38 : water cooling system can be quite disappointing, on my main rig actual Corsair H60 is quite noisy and previous Noctua NH-U12P SE2 wasn't.

If your H60 is noisy, you are doing something wrong or there is something wrong with it as I have one in my HTPC and it is whisper quiet, I don't hear it at all even when running prime and I have 2 fans on it.

Is buying a water-cooling system recommended for a first-time PC build?

It deoends on the type of water cooling you plan on. If you're after a full custom loop including NB, GFX, CPU then i'd say no for your first build. The AIO coolers such as corsair h60 etc then yeah go for it. :)

@ BangTail : nothing wrong with the H60, I can clearly hear the fan ... I must add the CoolerMaster 932 I am using ATM for my main rig is featuring a lot of mesh openings and I believe the MSI Control Center is not doing so well.

Previous i7 875K with Noctua NH-U12P SE2 on an Asus MB in the same case was really silent and what's more important I don't see any cooling improvement.

So I'm pretty dang new to computers, especially the idea of playing games on them, but I have got some extra money and can upgrade my machine a little bit. So I want to ask, in order to play ArmA with higher settings(I run A1 at low res on medium, would like to run medium at max res, same for A2:Free) I would need a better video card right? I'm sure this is about as dumb as questions get but I want to make sure. I know for some games it would be better to improve my GPU and stuff, but for Arma in particular(its basically all I play), and all I want to do is increase the resolution to 1920x1080. This would require a better video card, right? And if it does can anyone recommend a good one for this purpose.

Again, I'm sure this is one of the dumbest questions in human history, but I am pretty new to computers so I have an excuse(sort of)

No need to beat yourself up, we were all new to computers at one point. Yes you will need a better video card if you want to run arma 3 at higher settings, the game is more optimized but uses more advanced shaders. Your best bet would be to get a directX 10 (11 if you can as it will secure you for other games as well) I would recommend getting a single powerful video card rather than two, SLI has been showing some problems and many games seem to have issues with it even today, getting only a portion of power out of the other video card if not running into errors.

However you should also look into your ram (memory) and CPU as Arma uses these to great extent as well..BUT how much ram you can use will depend on your motherboard AND your operating system, I believe 32bit can only use up to 4 gigs while 64bit can use beyond that but be sure all of your sticks are the same size across the board, you can't (at least I don't think) mix and match 4 gigs with 8. For CPU quad core should be the max to look for, some games use four, most use two, many still use the one and the ghz is more important than sheer numbers. For example if you get a 2.0 ghz quad core but a 4.0 dual core then that dual core is going to perform better as far as games are concerned. But again you also need check and see what your motherboard can support, it may not be able to use quad core.

There is also the Operation System to consider as well as hard drive type and space, IDE vs SATA, these can be just as important as your video card.

In doing this you may also need to upgrade your power supply, for example say you are on 400 watts, that may not be enough for the upgraded equipment...likewise with better equipment comes more heat so you will need to examine the case inside for vent and screw points, you may need to purchase a few fans and a larger heatsink so that your equipment doesn't fry. If however your computer was built name brand, for example I have an alienware, uses a special case, not really that many moddifying points, theres not much I can do to modify it as opposed to a general desktop.

And after all is said and done you may wind up replacing the whole of your computer or nearly all of it, then you have to weigh price of upgrade vs convenience of an all in one deal.

If you would like more assistance then it may be best that we get a photograph of your case and the internal workings, that way we could get a better idea as to what you are working with and what can be done to modify it to better be a gaming rig, otherwise a few websites I highly recommend for searching on deals are newegg.com and tiger direct.

I know its a larger answer than you asked for but for example, I use a single Nvidia geforce GT 640 and am capable of running arma 3 on highestish settings fairly well..BUT I also have a i5 3.0ghz quad core and 8gigs of ddr5 ram. The processor in this case divided between physics calculations, AI, something else and something else, that is how the game is structured. The ram and SATA drive come in with how quickly the terrain loads and the data is stored, the more ram the more data, the more efficient, so its not just all about the video card you see.

Edited by NodUnit

So I'm pretty dang new to computers, especially the idea of playing games on them, but I have got some extra money and can upgrade my machine a little bit. So I want to ask, in order to play ArmA with higher settings(I run A1 at low res on medium, would like to run medium at max res, same for A2:Free) I would need a better video card right? I'm sure this is about as dumb as questions get but I want to make sure. I know for some games it would be better to improve my GPU and stuff, but for Arma in particular(its basically all I play), and all I want to do is increase the resolution to 1920x1080. This would require a better video card, right? And if it does can anyone recommend a good one for this purpose.

Again, I'm sure this is one of the dumbest questions in human history, but I am pretty new to computers so I have an excuse(sort of)

As NodUnit already said, don't be affraid to ask "silly" questions. Every pro was a noob when he started. ;)

To give a good advice, it would be helpful to know what you actually have. Please post your hardware as detailed as possible.

Wow, I searched all over for a PC thread and didn't notice the one right above where I put mine :p

Anyway, my specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel HD Graphics

6 GB of RAM

Intel CPU G620 2.6GHz Processor

Not a PC built for games, I know, but I'm trying to playing Armed Assault, not A2 or A3. Now, the way I see it is that my computer can run all the calculations and stuff just fine, even on very complex missions. The problem is that if I try to increase my resolution I instantly get a crap framerate. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would require a better graphics card, in order to take the load off the computer, right? So if that's the case, what is a nice cheap card that can run A1 at 1920x1080 with medium settings. I know that's specific goal, but I don't have any plans to play PC games so that is the only thing I want the card for. Also, thanks for the quick lesson on this stuff Nod. :D

6 Gb of RAM is quite okay both for ArmA1 or 2, but CPU and especially videocard aren't good for this game. So at first changing them together with new PSU would help. Also note that not only resolution forms good game picture, such things as model and texture levels of detail are important too.

I've had some problem with my computer the last two weeks.

Sometimes when I use Internet Explorer the program crashes. If it does not crash, it happens that I can't click on anything on my desktop until I shut down internet explorer.

Sometimes when I playing ARMA III the game starts to lagg horribly - there is so much lagg that I can barely navigate the menu with my mouse. I can normaly run ARMA III on high settings. If I manage to shut down the game my screen just turns black. If I use CTRL + ALT + DELTE the screen goes black.

At times my computer also freeze when I browse the internet so I have to restart it agian. Another problem is that I can't update my PC. I have automatic updates on. As soon as there is a update for windows I click it and there is always one certain update that never install itself properly. Earlier I had problems to Watch Youtube videos. It started to lagg or my internet Explorer crashed.

Does anyone have any idea what to do??

Usually tricky to pin down the problem of thisone.

It could be caused by faulty RAM, dying PSU, bad sectors on HDD, lose cabling or even a screw behind a motherboard causing shortcut.

First of all, make sure your CPU cooler is holding firmly in place and while at it, consider replacing the thermal paste. Then double check that all cables are fully inserted, same goes for graphic card itself. ( if OC'ed, restore stock settings )

You can test your RAM with windows diagnostic tools or better yet, something like Memtest86+. I'd perform these checks first and see and let us know if it helped to reveal the issue.

Please ignore.

Edited by JdB

After 6 years of good service my soundcard (Creative SB0790) starts dying, so I'm seeking for a replacement - $50-53 5.1 or 7.1 soundcard. What may you recommend? Asus or Creative again?

Was reading some reviews regarding the Shogun Bros 'Ballista Mk1' gaming mouse. All the reviews I read sort of had it down as a really nice gaming mouse, so seeing as it was not too expensive and also I like gaming mice, got several, I bought one (£50 on amazon, inc postage, not bad).

I have to say this is one serious gaming mouse, anyone thinking about changing, or like me just like adding to peripherals, should give it a look.

The reviews mentioned 'weight', perhaps with it not having supplied weights, well it weighs around the same as a Roccat Kone Plus with two of its weights added, that's a little lighter than the Rat5 but around the Razer Naga Epic. It glides across the hard gaming surface I use like no other has, which is soo smooth, a pleasure to use. It has an insanely high 8200dpi but it goes up in increments of 200, from 200 right the way up to that really too high 8200 (nothing over 3000 is much use for me). I have it set at 1200 Y and 1400 X at the moment. There is the possibility of 4 on the fly dpi setups also separate X&Y adjustments on the fly (useful for sniper mode). It has some really nice features on the mouse, includes 7 configurable gaming buttons with 5 modes, so in essence a possible 35 on the fly uses. Memory is on the mouse so that's handy plus it has a large (5868b) macros memory to fill, plenty there then. I always have to have the 2 left hand side thumb buttons for slow forward and freeview, the 2 to the right side, next to the right mouse button I am still deciding. Wheel is usual middle click with left and right tilt, the tilts I use for mirrors (left & right) when driving and 'gear' & 'weapon fire mode/gnade' when in infantry, centre mouse click for reload.

The only issue (well none issue really) I have with it is, I would have preferred the 2 main mouse buttons to have had more of a click about them, if you understand what I mean, but really it is a none issue as the mouse is one of the best I've used. My Roccat Kone+ is standing idle at the moment, the Ballista is better imo, I was using the Roccat on a regular basis, not anymore.

Thought I would put it out there. Anyone else here using one ?

The makers names a little odd (Shogun Bros), sounds like a cheap game..

Just one review for info: TechRadar

Edited by ChrisB

SAdly they are not available in Germany. I bought a Roccat Kone XTD a month ago during the Amazon Cyber monday sale. I´m so happy with it!

I've got an ASUS Xonar DX, and it's turning out to be a very nice card so far.

Bought it, nice thing indeed (especially for its pricetag 53 EUR)! Thanks for the hint.

I am due a monitor upgrade and am unsure what I would benefit more from in Arma 3.

A single 27" at 2560 x 1440 OR 3 x 24" at 1080p.

Currently running a single 1680x1050 22" with concessional Eyefinity at 3 x 22".

Appreciate any replies guys, thanks.

I sit in front of a 42" 1920x1080p and it looks fine. I have a screen off to the right 24" Benq, I can get configs and scripts up there when I'm testing stuff out.

I thought myself about a triple screen setup a while back, but the monitor frames would drive me nuts I think (between screens). Ran A2CO on my 50" just to see how it looked, looked great, thats the same 1920x1080, that will come into my den here, from the bedroom, when I upgrade the bedroom tv, soon hopefully.

I'm getting on now (older), so perhaps I don't see the need for more res, plus I couldn't go back to a small screen for the game, can't find any higher res screens in large form, say 50" or so, well at a sensible price.

Probably doesn't help you, but a large screen really does make a difference for me, mainly because I can see the bloody thing ;), without the need to put my glasses on (should wear them for tv).

Well there you go..

:)

I am due a monitor upgrade and am unsure what I would benefit more from in Arma 3.

Currently running a single 1680x1050 22" with concessional Eyefinity at 3 x 22".

I am not all that keep about the tripple screen thing, especially where arma is concened. I run 2 dell 24' monitors setup for work, and 1 24' monitor for gaming. That said, i am really looking into buying a 29' ultra-wide dell monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4201

I think it would give me enough space for work, as well as gaming..

I've always hated dual-monitors... the seams, ugh.

Some users have dual monitors so they can game, Skype and stream at the same time on different monitors which is handy I suppose.

However note that if you upgrade to a 2560x1440 monitor your fps in all games will be cut down to 40% instantly. Because screen size is proportional to gaming fps more or less.

So if you do upgrade you should buy a graphics card at the same time preferably.

Currently I would not use more than 1920x1080. I’m on 1920x1200 which is nice for Windows use however in gaming I often wish I was on 1920x1080 which probably would mean 10%+ fps…

So buy a 1920x1080 cheaply, or wait for the next generation of graphics cards to come out during summer and buy a monitor and new graphics card at the same time. I’d say this winter is a great time to upgrade monitor and graphics card. By winter hopefully there will have been some price drops.

The GTX 770 I bought last August dropped from $540 to $390 (70%) in November basically… note to self: never buy graphics cards in summer. That’s how it works. They come in summer and price crash in winter. That’s when you strike.

Currently I’m only on a one year old graphics card and I love my monitor too. I’m thinking I should probably wait until winter 2016 to wait for something like 4K to become the standard then buy a 4K monitor and a new graphics card… and hopefully my 2013 CPU won’t crumble :p

I am not all that keep about the tripple screen thing, especially where arma is concened. I run 2 dell 24' monitors setup for work, and 1 24' monitor for gaming. That said, i am really looking into buying a 29' ultra-wide dell monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4201

I think it would give me enough space for work, as well as gaming..

Hey bud,

Have to agree, while I use 2 x 4K monitors on my main box, I only game on one (use 2nd for productivity stuff).

I have tried 'surround' gaming more than once and for many reasons, it just never took.

Btw, the U2913WM is an exceptional monitor, I used one on my music PC for a little while and I really enjoyed it (was great for Reason racks ;) )

For the kind of work you have said you do, I think it is an excellent choice.

Quick Question. Will a AMD FX-4350 and GeForce GTX 750 Ti be able to play Arma III on Standard setting with 30+ FPS?:confused: