Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Nvidia 191.03 (BETA)

Accelerates performance in several gaming applications. The following are examples of improvements measured with version 191.03 drivers vs. version 190.62 drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):

Up to 12% performance increase in ARMA 2

Up to 8% performance increase in Batman: Arkham Asylum with GPU PhysX enabled

Up to 50% performance increase in Call of Juarez: Blood in Bound with SLI enabled

Up to 14% performance increase in Fallout 3 (indoor scenes) with antialiasing enabled

Up to 10% performance increase in Far Cry 2 (DX9 version) with antialiasing enabled

Up to 34% performance increase in Prototype with antialiasing enabled

Adds SLI support for Darkfall, Dawn of Magic 2: Time of Shadows, Dreamkiller, Fuel, Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim, Need for Speed: Shift and more.

Includes numerous bug fixes, including the following key fix (additional bug fixes can be found in the release notes on the documentation tab): For graphics cards supporting multiple clock states, 3D clocks correctly return to 2D clocks after exiting a 3D application.

I'll have to try these out later, anyone tried them yet? results?

Accelerates performance in several gaming applications. The following are examples of improvements measured with version 191.03 drivers vs. version 190.62 drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):

Up to 12% performance increase in ARMA 2

Up to 8% performance increase in Batman: Arkham Asylum with GPU PhysX enabled

Up to 50% performance increase in Call of Juarez: Blood in Bound with SLI enabled

Up to 14% performance increase in Fallout 3 (indoor scenes) with antialiasing enabled

Up to 10% performance increase in Far Cry 2 (DX9 version) with antialiasing enabled

Up to 34% performance increase in Prototype with antialiasing enabled

Adds SLI support for Darkfall, Dawn of Magic 2: Time of Shadows, Dreamkiller, Fuel, Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim, Need for Speed: Shift and more.

Includes numerous bug fixes, including the following key fix (additional bug fixes can be found in the release notes on the documentation tab): For graphics cards supporting multiple clock states, 3D clocks correctly return to 2D clocks after exiting a 3D application.

I'll have to try these out later, anyone tried them yet? results?

Running well here. I've tested A2, Shift, Batman and Black Shark so far with no issues.

Just grabbing now...

nvidia better convince me not to switch to ATi :) a Pair of 5870s is looking fine, esp since Arma 2 is pretty much the only thing I play..

But a ~12% (I care about min not avg) would be a nice gain..

Just grabbing now...

nvidia better convince me not to switch to ATi :) a Pair of 5870s is looking fine, esp since Arma 2 is pretty much the only thing I play..

But a ~12% (I care about min not avg) would be a nice gain..

I bought a 5870, arrived this morning.

Runs well enough but as far as my main box goes, I'll hold out for the GT300. The 5870 just doesn't bring enough to the table and I would be forced to give up nHancer and PhysX (starting to show up more and in relevant titles).

Eth

PS : The fan noise is annoying. I don't know what it is about ATI fans but the sound does my head in.

PPS : A colleague of mine has 2 x 5870 and the fan noise is intrusive under load, not only that but even in his well cooled case (in a relatively cold room) they were hitting 90 in Vantage (P) Test 2.

Edited by BangTail

In my opinion Forget PhysX, (Only reason I side-graded to GTX295), aside from Mirrors edge nothing has made me see the point. No doubt there will be an industry standard PhysX API and all this shit will be useless (I can only hope).

I would love to see some comparisons on your machine as you are running an almost identical system to mine (from memory). I think the 5870 is faster in Arma 2 than GTX295 once you turn up details and res but only review i have seen that used arma 2 was HardOCP (where the 5870 was well above gtx285)

EDIT: As for fan noise I play with some good Headphones so really dont hear them too much.. And i ran a 2900XT and didnt have any probs... LOL there is always some benefit to being deaf

Edited by FraG_AU

In my opinion Forget PhysX, (Only reason I side-graded to GTX295), aside from Mirrors edge nothing has made me see the point. No doubt there will be an industry standard PhysX API and all this shit will be useless (I can only hope).

I would love to see some comparisons on your machine as you are running an almost identical system to mine (from memory). I think the 5870 is faster in Arma 2 than GTX295 once you turn up details and res but only review i have seen that used arma 2 was HardOCP (where the 5870 was well above gtx285)

My main rig is significantly faster than my friends i7 965 @ 3.5 w/ 2 x 5870.

In A2, the 295 won't keep up with 2 x 5870 (neither will the faster 2 x 285) when you turn up the AA and the res. Having said that, they still provide ample performance. The 295 beats a 5870 in some games and falls behind in others.

Well, PhysX isn't a HUGE factor but it is showing up more. If all you play is A2 then 5870 Xfire is the fastest choice as of today but I doubt it will be in 2 or 3 months from now.

The PhysX in Darkest of Days and Arkham Asylum is impressive tbh.

Eth

PS : I hear the whine of the fan with my Sennheisers on :(

Edited by BangTail

I'll wait.. Still tossing up the stupidity of quad SLI vs Tri Fire 5870s.. Really wants the X2 with EyeFinity but impulse is more "fun"

I'll wait.. Still tossing up the stupidity of quad SLI vs Tri Fire 5870s.. Really wants the X2 with EyeFinity but impulse is more "fun"

Hey, I know all about "needing" new hardware. You don't know how close I came to buying 2 5870s as opposed to one.

I'll wait until all the cards are on the table (Larabee is coming as well as Nvidia) before upgrading the main box :)

Eth

PS : 3 x 5870 might require you to relocate your PC ..... to McMyrtle :D

Edited by BangTail