Sign in to follow this  
GeneralCarver

Sniper Scope FLIR Script

Greeting all,

I have created a small script which simulates having a FLIR scope on sniper rifles. The FLIR is only available when the player is looking through the scope of the rifle. FLIR can be enabled and disabled. Also, the mode can be changed between white and black.

Instructions included in the Readme in the download on getting the script to work in your mission.

Enjoy!

http://www.4shared.com/file/135189375/a46097e8/gcssf.html

Cool idea. However, unless it's just me, seems to be an issue with increasing/decreasing brightness not working. Depending what mode I'm in, it either goes all grey or all white, and won't correct itself even if i take it to max/min levels, until I turn it off and back on.

is this FLIR really working, or is it just another fake script?

FLIR is not a 'real' option for Arma2 so it 'fakes it' if you want a real FLIR you will need to wait for the next game Arma - Operation Arrowhead.

i don't think so... i'm sure theres a way of scripting a real working FLIR for ARMA2..

i allready tried some of my ideas on this topic, just have a look:

flir145728_thumb.jpg

its script-based, so no addon is needed. but it only works that fine at night (what shouldn't be a big problem) and theres at time no option to disable it again (whats more a problem i think :j:)

If what you see has strong dependence on time of day, then it is nowhere near "real".

Does this just make more contrast between enemies and terrain, because that's all I can see in the picture.

no, it adds to every unit in range of the FLIR camera a lightpoint with very small intensity.

with the ppeffects of the FLIR, it looks like the unit itselfs glows white...

Like Eble says though - the proper FLIR comes with ARMA2 - Operation Arrowhead. BIS will move over the FLIR used in VBS2 (military used version of this engine). The "FLIR" in ARMA2 is not nearly as good as that one. At least not the one included (in UAV for example).

Will test this one out however.

FLIR can be enabled and disabled

If you want to make it realistic, i would suggest to leave out the option to disable FLIR. From my research the real thermal sights don't have the option to use them as non-thermal sights, it is thermal-on or nothing.

Unless you ofcourse use a clip-on sight, but i don't think a clip-on sight on a high recoil weapon is a good choise.

Anyway, good solution for the moment offcourse.

For better and realistic TWS we will have to wait for OA.

Man, all roads seem to point to Operation Arrowhead...wonder if it's gonna be THAT good. Anyway, thanks for making this!

i don't think so... i'm sure theres a way of scripting a real working FLIR for ARMA2..

i allready tried some of my ideas on this topic, just have a look:

flir145728_thumb.jpg

its script-based, so no addon is needed. but it only works that fine at night (what shouldn't be a big problem) and theres at time no option to disable it again (whats more a problem i think :j:)

This looks awesome! Hate the simulating scripts, as they dont have the essence of the FLIR, thermal vision! The nightvision works way better than the simulating FLIRS.

So have you ever published your script? Please send me a PM when/if you do!

so, i'm back.

i'll pusblish the current state of this FLIR this weekend, because i've got no time at all to finish it the next months

as promised, here is the curent state of my FLIR script:

this is for the init-line of the vehicle:

Z1 = this addaction ["FLIR einschalten", "ir\ir_init.sqs"];

here are the script files:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1938301/ir.zip.html

i give you all this for free, because i have no more time to finished it because of my real life. so do what you want, and maybe someone will finish this someday.

some thinks i would change first i've i had the time:

=> change the lighpoint attach position for vehicles (not for humans, for humans its perfect)

=> put in something that asks if it is night or day, and change the ppeffects depending on the daytime for eqal performance all the time (as i mentioned, this script is developed for darkness only at the time. should be changed...)

=> have fun :D