Sign in to follow this  
Raddik

Steam Catapult System

Updated 09/24/09 - See changelog

Well folks, here it is...the first attempt at a Steam Catapult System for Arma 2. Below you'll find instructions on how to use the system, other info, and download links. Please let me know how it works out for you...best of luck.

Video |

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOvxnAqsC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOvxnAqsC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Screenshot

launch.png

Features:

For ease of use, this is simply a collection of scripts. I had originally been designing it as an addon, but I had a change of heart. This system is built entirely around a single 'invisible' helicopter pad. Once configured, the player gets into an aircraft, selects "Deck Launch", Throttles Up, and next thing they know they're racing down the deck at 160+ knots. There is a launch area safety in place to prevent any kind of telefragging or related issues on the deck. Also, players are unable to get out of their aircraft until the launch sequence is complete...this again keeps things from getting out of hand.

As of now, this is compatible with the F35B and A-10. I am working on a new method of locking down the aircraft before launch, but until it's sorted out these are the only aircraft that will work.

Please do not mirror this or use it in other addons without my permission.

Change Log:

1.01 (09/24/09)

- Changed stop code for aircraft per tom_48_97's input.

- Made countdown silent.

- Removed support for Su34. I decided it didn't make sense since there is no Russian platform of any kind of launch from.

- Included sample mission as a reference.

- Updated installation instructions for V1.01 changes.

1.0 (09/23/09) (Beta release)

- First public beta release

Credits:

Wiper - For help with the launch code...thanks a bunch.

tom_48_97 - For rewriting the stop code and other suggestions.

BI Forum Users - For answering a slew of questions.

Special Thanks:

Violently Happy - Testing

Turk182! - Testing

Lablood - Testing

RedAnthrax - Testing

Zac - Testing

Download Link:

Armaholic Mirror

Instructions (Click Spoiler Button):

1. Download the zip file and extract its contents (a single folder called 'launch') into your mission folder
  2. Copy the code below and paste it into your 'description.ext' file. It's for the steam launch sound file. If you already have a CfgSounds section, then simply add this entry.
    class CfgSounds
    {
    sounds[] = {steam};
    class steam
    {
    	name = "steam";
    	sound[] = {"launch\steam.ogg", db+10, 1};
    	titles[] = {};
    };
    };

3. In the mission editor, place a single Invisible Helicopter Pad on the LHD deck or airfield you wish to use. Name it launchpos. If you are going to use an LHD, I would recommend placing your 'H' in one of the places indicated below:
    LHD_HPAD.PNG
  4. If you are using an LHD or other raised platform, make sure to set the position of the 'H' using the setPosASL command. This ensures everything works up on the deck. The below code works well for the Utes LHD...change 15.5 to 17 if you are using a spawned LHD on Chernarus:
    this setPosASL [getPosASL this select 0, getPosASL this select 1, 15.5];

5. Browse to and open launch\move.sqf. Change the '0' after setDir to the direction you want your aircraft to face in the launch zone. Use degrees assuming up is north.
  6. Browse to and open launch\stop.sqf. Again, change the '0' after setDir (for both the A10 and F35B) to the direction you want your aircraft to face in the launch zone. Use degrees assuming up is north. This MUST match the previous step's direction.
  7. Place the below code in the init of the aircraft you wish to enable the launch system for.
    launch = [this] execVM "launch\system.sqf";

8. If you intend to have your aircraft respawn, I would recommend Tophe's Simple Vehicle Respawn Script. If you use it, copy the below code and use it instead of the code in the previous step:
    launch = [this] execVM "launch\system.sqf"; veh = [this, 2, 30, 50, false, false, "launch = [this] execVM ""launch\system.sqf"""] execVM "vehicle.sqf";

9. Test and enjoy!

NOTES:

• If you intend to spawn your aircraft on the LHD deck make sure to use the setPos command to move them on top of the deck. Use the same code from step 4 above and paste it in your aircraft's init field, with the same variations for Utes/Spawned LHD's respectively.
  • Please let me know of any bugs you find and I will fix them as quickly as time allows.

Edited by Raddik

first attempt but not too bad ! Nice job.

But, prefer a hintSilent for the countdown :)

And why don't make the test for model plane instead of exec all script ? You can make a switch.

_type = typeOf vehicle player;
switch (_type) do {
case "SU34": {
 BL1 = "InvisibleFence2" createVehicle (getMarkerPos "BL1Spawn"); 
 BL1 setpos [getPos launchpos select 0, (getPos launchpos select 1) -1.25, (getPos launchpos select 2)]; 
 BL1 setDir 0; sleep 8.5; deleteCollection BL1;
};
case "A10": {
 BL1 setpos [getPos launchpos select 0, (getPos launchpos select 1) +1, (getPos launchpos select 2)]; 
 BL1 setDir 0; 
 sleep 8.5; deleteCollection BL1;
};
case "F35B": {
 BL1 setpos [getPos launchpos select 0, (getPos launchpos select 1) -1, (getPos launchpos select 2)]; 
 BL1 setDir 0; sleep 8.5; 
 deleteCollection BL1;
};
}; 

Edit: You can also make an unique file making some comment to see what the statement do. If you need to exec a code at the same time that another, just use the command spawn etc.... If you need help, just ask :)

Edited by tom_48_97

@Tom

Thanks for the input. I am a scripting noob, so it was a long process to figure each step out (in the most basic of manners) and make it work. I think I'll take you up on your offer of helping with the test code...I'll PM you tomorrow after I have some time to try it out. Also, silent hints? That's awesome...I will make that edit as well. Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

Raddik

Can you put a already made example mission within the download as Im a mission making noob.

@Facktard

Funny you ask...I'm working on that right now. :) Should have 1.01 released with an example mission within a couple hours.

Cheers,

Raddik

New version released (V1.01). See changelog above for details.

@Facktard

It includes a sample mission. :)

I've extracted the steam_catapult_system_v1.01 folder to my mission folder in the Arma2 directory. But if i want to start the test mission i get the following message: No Entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds.01'. Might this be due to the 1.4 patch that came out a little while ago? I have the same problem with 1.4official, 60191beta patch or without the modpacks

not see this script ago :omg: good its work for russian plane, chopers :dance1::thumb:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEX74NhSTD4&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEX74NhSTD4&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Who would wanna catapult a chopper from a carrier ?!? :yay:

Is this a playable mission or just an editor thing ?

larsiano

You can use catapults every where you want) cars,choppers,plane) put in base or carrier) in video its not mission! its training editor!) I use this script in ArmaII (russian version)+ 1.04.59026 Play Domination map + this script work good! no errors!)

(sorry for bad english)

Edited by Keshman

Any way to catapult empty vehicle or with AI pilot?

@larsiano Sorry for the delay, I was traveling and didn't have easy access to email. I just tested the sample mission as well as the scripts themselves in a freshly updated install of 1.4 and everything works fine. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

@Keshman Glad to see you found an interesting use for it, although it's a little 'out of spec.' :)

Cheers all.

~Raddik

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

@ffs That would be possible with an AI pilot if I had some scripting help from the pros. I'll put it on the list to see what we can do.

The test mission finaly works (dont know what the problem was),

I love the catapult mod can't wait to see it in action. Has the catapult been added to "Uber Air Combat" mission? And can the catapult system be used for landings as well?

@larsiano

I am hard at work on a new version of Uber Air Combat that will include 2 decked out LHDs catapult systems, as well as some other new features. Should be done in a couple weeks!

hey man, gotta say i LOVE this system

ive found that it works great for the osprey too

just wondering, am i only able to use this once per plane? or is there some way to reset the script to be available again?

also i would love to know how progress is going on your other projects

EDIT: i found a much better way (for me at least) to use this

first get rid of system.sqf you wont be needing it anymore

second remove the init command that calls system.sqf

then make a trigger with this in the conditions

local player && player distance launchpos < 10 && driver vehicle player == player && vehicle player != player && vehicle player iskindof "Plane" && gcvrsservicescriptactive == "false"

where "launchpos" is the launch pad and "10" is the distance away from the catapult that you can activate it, it helps to locate if you put a "yellow border" on it

put this in the activation

gcvrspv = vehicle player; gcvrsactionid = gcvrspv addAction ["Catapult Launch", "launch.sqf", "", 0, true, true, "", ""]

put this in the deactivation

gcvrspv removeaction gcvrsactionid

and make sure the trigger can be activated more than once

and thats it, it can be activated by all fixed wing aircraft in less than 10 meters from the catapult.

if anyone wants an example mission feel free to ask, that is.. with the permission of the great Raddik

Edited by BigRon