Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Did someone say F35? ........ i just threw up in my mouth a little.............

The F35 program will go down in history as the most expensive airplane that nobody wanted. They may bring modernized systems to the battlefield but reduce payload and capability to a shadow of the aircraft they are replacing. So what if you can put external pylons on it.....you can put external pylons on a blackhawk with hellfires yet you have only seen that in demonstrational videos. On top of that adding them reduces manuever abilities and negates the stealth properties. As a retired ground pounder and veteran of 5 overseas tours (3 to Iraq 2 to afghanistan), every time i needed bombs i needed a bunch of them, and i needed an aircraft like the A10 or F16/18 that could loiter in hostle airspace and get down low with me.

The F35 is going to bring only a couple of 3 million dollar bombs to take out a group of 3 dollar dirks.

Let me know at what point that makes any sense.

(not flaming...This has been an ongoing discussion between Tris and myself)

Rock's model is an absolute incredible one. The detail and love he has put into it has nearly taken me into the f35 camp on several occasions. Thankfully common sense prevails and i go back to hoping every single prototype catches fire and the project is cancelled......with the aerospace firms having to repay all the money to my government.

Edited by wld427
i spell like a 2nd grader

i go back to hoping every single prototype catches fire and the project is cancelled......with the aerospace firms having to repay all the money to my government.

I hope not as what is the Royal Navy going to have for our new carriers? but anyway i can understand why some there is a dislike for the F35, but either way i hope to see it in game, it will be a worthy addition to the Arma2 :)

I hope not as what is the Royal Navy going to have for our new carriers? but anyway i can understand why some there is a dislike for the F35, but either way i hope to see it in game, it will be a worthy addition to the Arma2 :)

Harriers and Typhoons! ;)

WIP Wednesdays

This week Messiah has stepped up and begun to prea...erm...waff... blog? He's talking about his "second coming" - Please PM all jokes directly to Messiah - The joys of Laptops and British Military Procurement. And a Foxhound.

Week 17 WIP Wednesday - He's not THE Messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Week 16 WIP Wednesday - Projects that time forgot

Week 15 WIP Wednesday - Typhoon update click here.

Week 14 WIP Wednesday - Modeling and the F-35C.

Week 13 WIP Wednesday - Challenger 2.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

I gotta say in my personal and very humble view..... This seems like the worst rushed descision our government has made in the recent reforms (Alond with scrapping the nimrod and selling the harriers) As far as I can tell the yanks wont let us develop our own sowftware for it... we wont be making it.... The stealth is a gimmick pretty much.... Its no good as an interceptor ( this is what i've figured from reading the Australian reports)... Its got hundreds of severe problems with the design still.... Doesnt carry much payload cant fly as far as other contemporary platforms.

I think there are better options Maybe applying for a native liscence built rafael or further developing the carrier based plans for the typhoon....

(Sorry very messy written this very quickly at work)

Anyway yay an update!

The cost to the config change due to the misplaced hook was prohibitive, hence the decision to revert.

Incidentally, if you want any SME input for your CR2, I'd be happy to help. I'll caveat though - it's been 4 years since I last commanded one and memory doesn't serve so well. But I can certainly give you a heads up on sight pictures etc though you could do worse than look at the Steel Beasts model or DK's CR2 upgrade (albeit it's ACE only - largely due to ACE fixes to ballistics, FCS and damage modelling which saved a vast amount of effort redoing it all). I'm sure if you ask Troubles he'll let you have the engine sounds from his version too - it's probably the closest approximation we have in game at the moment (unless you happen to be near a training area of course!)

I gotta say in my personal and very humble view..... This seems like the worst rushed descision our government has made in the recent reforms (Alond with scrapping the nimrod and selling the harriers) As far as I can tell the yanks wont let us develop our own sowftware for it... we wont be making it.... The stealth is a gimmick pretty much.... Its no good as an interceptor ( this is what i've figured from reading the Australian reports)... Its got hundreds of severe problems with the design still.... Doesnt carry much payload cant fly as far as other contemporary platforms.

I think there are better options Maybe applying for a native liscence built rafael or further developing the carrier based plans for the typhoon....

(Sorry very messy written this very quickly at work)

Anyway yay an update!

Well, i'm inclined to agree with you. I would have much preferred a navalised Typhoon (all jokes aside) but I know from detailed professional and personal experience it won't ever happen. I might have happened if the Indians were willing to finance the larger part of the development. But given that even if they did it would have been the 'wrong' type of navalisation (ie STOBAR vs CATOBAR) it probably wouldn't have happened even then.

Regarding the prophesised change to back to the B, well I have my doubts it will happen. Going off the gossip from friends in London and in Bristol, its seems that the press were a tad too quick to (mis-)quote MoD 'officials'. There apparently was a meeting about the cost overuns on the F-35 and the Carriers. It was suggested that due to the rising costs it might be cheaper just to revert to the B and the STOVL deck design. Where as continuing with the C and CATOBAR deck would see the cost (of the deck and catapults) rise over the planned £1-ish billion.

But what the press have either missed or have chosen not to report in their rush to discredit the government, is that this plan would write off close to £800 million of work already done in design costs, equipment, strategic materials already purchased and penalty payouts on existing contracts etc. And another facet that doesn't seem to be making the headlines is that the switch from the B to the C will reduce the cost of buying the F-35 by upto 20% at 'todays price'. A cost saving that could be applied to the carriers if the rumours are true. Further offsetting the cost in the planned budget meaning that the end figure for the total package (CVF+F-35) isn't as high as the press are making out.

Then you come back to the operational concerns raised by both the RAF and RN. The C is a much better proposition. It's got longer range, better weapons load, arguably cheaper to buy and operate and promises to be cheaper to train crews for. And has the added advantage - in light of the UK-French Defence Cooperation agreement - that we could operate from French and US carriers if needed.

I'm not a huge fan of the F-35 for the UK. But as I've said before I dont believe the Rafale or the F-18 is a practical or political proposition.

And the UK is the only Tier 1 partner and as such will - we are told - have full access to all the technology and source code in the F-35. Alot of that tech is actually made by UK companies both in the UK and the US anyway.

As for performance, I'm not particularly impressed myself but no one really knows just yet how good or bad its going to be. The F-35 really is an untested platform. Continuing Development may just turn it into a very good aircraft. I will say though, don't read too much into the "Australian reports" if they come via the Airpower website. They've proven to be a bit behind the times and a tad biased in the past.

The cost to the config change due to the misplaced hook was prohibitive, hence the decision to revert.

Incidentally, if you want any SME input for your CR2, I'd be happy to help. I'll caveat though - it's been 4 years since I last commanded one and memory doesn't serve so well. But I can certainly give you a heads up on sight pictures etc though you could do worse than look at the Steel Beasts model or DK's CR2 upgrade (albeit it's ACE only - largely due to ACE fixes to ballistics, FCS and damage modelling which saved a vast amount of effort redoing it all). I'm sure if you ask Troubles he'll let you have the engine sounds from his version too - it's probably the closest approximation we have in game at the moment (unless you happen to be near a training area of course!)

@ friznit2 if you care to register on the RKSL forums I'll add you to the UKAF Faction group with the others.

We're looking at getting a more complete UK Armed Forces addon collection going. Its made up from most of the UK community addon makers and we'd welcome some more technical advisors. I'd really appreciate the help on the Chally!

Edited by RKSL-Rock
grammar

Well, turns out with UNN's fantastic help I have a system built where you can drive on, tie the vehicle down, then drive the ship away, untie the vehicle and then drive off at a new location. This also works with helicopters on the flight decks, and allows landing while the ship is in motion (but its not easy trying to match speed)

That's very interesting, I look forward to seeing it in action! How well did the vehicles perform when driving across those linked landing craft and Ro Ro (any bouncing, crashing sounds etc)?

There is some crashing sounds on the ramps, especially when loading/unloading on beach's but other than that, its fine unless its in rather bad waves.. (then its just more crashing).

I have not noticed bouncing as such, that tends to happen on geometry collision, which isr educed by the roadway.

The decks are all roadway treated with the geometry placed close enough to have desired affects when needed, but far enough to reduce the frequency of 'crashing'.

This is one area I have lots of experience working with since its been similar since OFP days, and I have not exactly stopped.

We're looking at getting a more complete UK Armed Forces addon collection going. Its made up from most of the UK community addon makers and we'd welcome some more technical advisors. I'd really appreciate the help on the Chally!

Sounds like a spiritual successor to the erstwhile UKF. All over it like a... yeah, well, better not post that on a public forum. Done and done though. See you on the other side.

Oh, they are very nice indeed. All we need now is an East London map, and some models of frightened residents and we can join in the Olympic spirit!

Oh, they are very nice indeed. All we need now is an East London map, and some models of frightened residents and we can join in the Olympic spirit!

Hahaha spot on... But then we would need the Rapiers aswell :P and a strongly worded letter mod too...

3.... Engage..... East London ManDem at 3 o'clock.

Edited by wolfbite

Hahaha spot on... But then we would need the Rapiers aswell :P and a strongly worded letter mod too...

3.... Engage..... East London ManDem at 3 o'clock.

You mean like these? (Click here for a bit of a Naff render.)

Besides its supposedly StarStreak they are putting on the top of blocks of flats. The Rapiers will apparently be in 3 other open sites according to the last reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18008171

As the gob'ment continues its quest to emulate a ADHD suffering prostitute, it looks like they have turned back to the B.

As you will notice though, the extremely poor BBC report is as bad as the decision itself, at no point does it look like the reporter has bothered to find out anything about potential costs or design/build progress. In fact, it looks like a press release.

Oh god. We've got a professor on BBC News now boasting that switching was a good idea! :/

Its all BS politics. The Carrier Alliance is apparently quietly protesting the decision. They told all their staff that the change was "highly unlikely" and "not to be concerned." Seems the ConDem government f's it up again. No bother we'll still have UK F-35Cs in the ArmAverse.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

WIP Wednesdays

Week 19 WIP Wednesday - UAVs, a Gorilla, a box and a Wet Tesco bag.< NEW

What connects a UAV, A Gorilla, a large cardboard box and a wet Tesco bag? Click to find out.

Week 18 WIP Wednesday - CBF Shipbuilding and its role

Week 17 WIP Wednesday - He's not THE Messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Week 16 WIP Wednesday - Projects that time forgot

Week 15 WIP Wednesday - Typhoon update click here.

Week 14 WIP Wednesday - Modeling and the F-35C.

Week 13 WIP Wednesday - Challenger 2.

:D You WIP Wednesdays are one of those things that I really look forward to each week. Also, let's be honest, you helped me with my spaceships, so in a way, RKSL is making space ships. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Abs

Great stuff as always Rock!! Pimp the RQ-7 :P

uavconlengua640px.jpg

Can't tell if its just happy coz he's fondling it...

Why stop there? Forced elocution lessons or a strafing run, pretty easy choice ;).

Great work so far Rock, keep it up. And what the hell the government's doing with the F-35 is beyond me. If they're so much for U-turns they should've become driving instructors.

http://mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/ModAnnouncesChangeOfJointStrikerFighterJet.htm

Rock, now it's official. It's now in the MoD webpage. UK returns to STOVL fighters. Don't bother. Armaverse is big enough to have F-35 Bs and F-35 Cs with UK roundels (As long as they are made by you, because they will be Real HQ addons)