Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Cheers Mike.

How about I give you the base textures you detail it. The job you did on the Tyffy wasnt bad at all.

Bah; drawing a few logos and changing a few colours in on top of your really rather good weathering, scorching, shading, panelling etc. hardly makes me a texture artist. Sure I know techniques for doing that sort of stuff, but I don't rate myself as being particularly good at it compared to so many others in this community - the stuff I've done for the new UK weapon sights isn't completely terrible, but is far from what I consider to be 'great'.

Doesn't mean I won't at least have a crack, if you want me to though. :)

Sent you that email btw - let me know if there's anything you could do with more info on and I'll keep an eye out.

Not long now. (i know i keep saying it but is honestly is getting better)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :p

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :p

heh, when i was younger out walking with my grandad and all of us asking "where is it? or we there?"

"just around the corner"

a half mile and no corners later.. :P

heh, when i was younger out walking with my grandad and all of us asking "where is it? or we there?"

"just around the corner"

a half mile and no corners later.. :P

Well you know the community rule. "Its done when its done" :P

Just so you know im not fibbing... Some either unfinished or "secret" bits are hidden for the moment.

website_home.jpg

Getting proper pictures from this lot is proving hard.

website_team.jpg

And if you look at the project menu and then at the documentation etc you might realise just how much work is going into this...

website_helos.jpg

course i know "its done when its done" :D sure look at my MIDF mod :p

just that post reminded me of my youth lol

By the time Orson contributed the Warrior to PR, there was nobody else left working at UKF to hand over any other projects. :D

Chris, Jeff, Messy, Ben and Swift were inactive for a good while before that - precisely why Orson looked elsewhere to get the WR finished... and whichever of his other models he might have wanted to see finished since (IIRC AS90, Pinzgauer and Viking were his other WIPs, but none were as developed as much as the WR).

If he'd carried on working on it with me, it still wouldn't be out at all: I'd probably have 'persuaded' him to start on all the newer TES(H) fittings as well. :D

Well that's a collaboration of Gods that can benefit the British Mods!

Let's hope so so more can be crossed off my wish list...

AS90

Pinzgauer with L118 tow script

BV206 with L118 tow script

Viking

Mastiff

Wolfhound

Ridgback

Panther

Husky

Foxhound

Warrior (correct version & all variants)

Titan

Trojan

Buffalo

ATMP (Amphibious & all variants)

MAN Support Vehicles (BW Mod conversions?)

Springer

Coyote

Tornado!

...Just a short wish list!

Let's hope so so more can be crossed off my wish list...

Just a short reply...

AS90 - Don't have one but if you can get me some plans... Oh and some decent Chally refs....The nice thing about making tanks is no interiors = Quicker build time

Pinzgauer with L118 tow script - Pinz = no real drama. The tow script in ArmA3 shouldn't be a problem with PhysX

Viking & BV206 with L118 tow script - Again no real ambition to make on but if someone gets me some plans I might take a crack at it if someone wants to paint it.

Mastiff - Have a chat with Cleggy

Wolfhound - Have a chat with Cleggy

Ridgback - Have a chat with Cleggy

Panther - Not a problem.

Husky - Have a chat with Cleggy

Foxhound - Not a problem

Warrior (correct version & all variants) - Working on it. Well some of them.

Titan - Need refs etc but im not sure its worth it in terms of gameplay vs engine capability

Trojan - Need refs etc but im not sure its worth it in terms of gameplay vs engine capability

Buffalo - Need refs etc but im not sure its worth it in terms of gameplay vs engine capability

ATMP (Amphibious & all variants) - Not a problem

MAN Support Vehicles (BW Mod conversions?) - Cough, look in this thread COUGH, COUGH

Springer - Not sure i can bring myself to make something that "cute"

Coyote) - Not a problem

Tornado! - Not a problem

No scorpion? I know someone who would love to have one. :p

Also, the site looks awesome, very well put together.

I whacked out a Trojan for VBS, the model was ok, UV mapped but I had about a day to do the textures, so they're unusable, not sure if its any use rock, give the pace of development and changes I seem to recall with relation to modeling standards, then I think its highly out of date now. I was more fond of my CRAAV, thats probably a better bit of work, shame it never got anywhere. Models are yours if you want them, but I can't imagine they're up to standard these days (not that they were due to dealines in the first place)

Website looks very tasty Rock, nice clean layout and lets the picture's do the talking :)

(p.s. Husky is my new Land Rover fetish. Have been collecting reference, but can't seem to bring myself to install O2 again)

Not to mention they suffer the same size/shape inaccuracies as the UKF Chally ;)

I think Rock would do better from scratch, I have lots of photos if you're interested :)

Trojan probably does, think I whacked stuff on the base model, pretty sure I built the CRAAV from scratch, but can't for the life of me remember these days, but I wouldn't doubt that Rock could do better from scratch, a good few years ago now.

Hohum, back to the husky then.

I whacked out a Trojan for VBS, the model was ok, UV mapped but I had about a day to do the textures, so they're unusable, not sure if its any use rock, give the pace of development and changes I seem to recall with relation to modeling standards, then I think its highly out of date now. I was more fond of my CRAAV, thats probably a better bit of work, shame it never got anywhere. Models are yours if you want them, but I can't imagine they're up to standard these days (not that they were due to dealines in the first place)

(p.s. Husky is my new Land Rover fetish. Have been collecting reference, but can't seem to bring myself to install O2 again)

Good to see you on here Messiah. I am sure it would take you longer to install O2 than it would to bang out a Husky with your skill set! Wack a GPMG on it for a Tactical Support Vehicle and also do a ammunition and an ambulance version, You know you want to!

Edited by Tankieboy2

Yeah pretty much anything VBS2 standard needs a lot of work. Generating the normals etc means high poly modelling these days. At least if we're taking about trying to keep up with the latest "quality" addons.

Thanks for the offer, i could use them for reference but im not keen on porting anything we made for VBS no matter the clauses.

Website looks very tasty Rock, nice clean layout and lets the picture's do the talking :)

Well there is an awful lot of text to generate. Converting all the documentation is killing me. Especially for the new stuff.

Its the Foxhound/Ocelot for me. Especially the WMIK-esque version Force Protection is touting. Its very nice and fits in well with my plans for ArmA3 + IAP.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

I think Rock would do better from scratch, I have lots of photos if you're interested :)

Mark, yes please. I can give you an FTP to upload to if you want :)

I thought as much, but just thought I'd check, we're definitely taking about a few generations old material here.

Its the Foxhound/Ocelot for me. Especially the WMIK-esque version Force Protection is touting. Its very nice and fits in well with my plans for ArmA3 + IAP.

Arrgghhh you right bastard, just had to look up the FP Ocelot... very tasty indeed. Ocelot is probably a safer bet than the Husky, as from what I can gather it's more future proof rather than being an UOR. I've been on the same train of thought, also following the ArmA 3 lead and planning to produce similar modern/future era british equipment, that and I was reading an article about the adaptive cloaking system BAE were working on, and whilst that prospect is a bit moot, their demo CV90 was something that could fit in nicely stylewise, and possibly be a credible future warrior replacement (if we're in the business of imagination):

1315505479538.jpg

anyway, I digress and dragging this a little off topic. I'll have to pick your brains at a later date, do plan on building a new rig again now that I'm settled once more, and getting my hands on A3 and the tools.

(p.s what tools are you using these days besides O2 for the usual config stuff? Should really aim to expand my horizons beyond in house program and Rhino )

Edited by Messiah

I thought as much, but just thought I'd check, we're definitely taking about a few generations old material here.

Well i looked at converting my old VBS2 stuff a while back. I came to the conclusion that i'd be ashamed to release it into ArmA2 without significant work. When i tried i ended up remaking the entire model. :)

Arrgghhh you right bastard, just had to look up the FP Ocelot... very tasty indeed. Ocelot is probably a safer bet than the Husky, as from what I can gather it's more future proof rather than being an UOR.

Well both will still probably be in use for the IAP timeline of 2019 to 2025. The thing i like about the Ocelot is the modular setup. Lots of nice possibilities.

I've been on the same train of thought, also following the ArmA 3 lead and planning to produce similar modern/future era british equipment...

Well if you would like to team up and help flesh out the British faction I'm definitely up for it. I'm sure there a few others would be interested too.

... that and I was reading an article about the adaptive cloaking system BAE were working on, and whilst that prospect is a bit moot, their demo CV90 was something that could fit in nicely stylewise, and possibly be a credible future warrior replacement (if we're in the business of imagination):

I've not really too interested in following the core ArmA3 story theme. I'd rather return to a less distant future and play with the next generation of military kit. I saw the same camo system a while back too. I was wondering if the Render-To-Texture system would work on it. But if its like the VBS2 setup it might be a tad too laggy.

As for the Future Warrior replacement isn't that going to be part of the FRES stuff? I know the Scout Variant is supposed to be the General Dynamic ASCOD. I thought the Warrior's replacement was going to be the Piranha V?

...anyway, I digress and dragging this a little off topic. I'll have to pick your brains at a later date, do plan on building a new rig again now that I'm settled once more, and getting my hands on A3 and the tools.

Give me a nudge when you are ready I'll share what i have with you. No point duplicating work if we don't have to.

pretty sure I built the CRAAV from scratch, but can't for the life of me remember these days.

IIRC you at least planned to use the CR2 as the starting point for that; it ended up with the tracks and running gear from the CR2 model at any rate. Given how different the structure is, no doubt most of the hull needed re-doing.

I remember because I offered you that CR1 model I made to use a base; but it created too many 'issues' owing to me being involved with the VBS stuff; and later when you showed the model to me with the CR2 running gear, thinking it wasn't accurate/cutting corners, but I reassured you that we were actually fitting some CRARRVs with CR2 running gear as a sort of UOR in real life. :)

No scorpion? I know someone who would love to have one. :p

Scorpion's no longer used by the British Army. However, Vilas made one for P85 that's now in PRACS as well IIRC.

Going back to Tankie's list:

It looks like Springer is being binned (because it's shit), so little point in doing one of those, and ATMP is all but gone. granQ is making a BV206, including a British one (maybe he'll even make a Viking in future for SFP, seeing as Sweden just bought a bunch of the back cabs from the RM's Viking fleet for their own Afghanistan requirements). And IMO the community would need a proper L118 model with LINAPS, longer barrel etc. before making a towing script ;); the M119A1/L119 isn't quite as awesome as the L118 could be with a nice LINAPS script.

--

Getting back on topic though; I concur with my good friends. Your website looks like it's going to be really nice Rock - very easy on the eye. All the the social networking widgets irk me; but only because of my aversion to such cultural phenomena. :p

I'm sure Mike will know the most about the Warrior stuff, but did they every actually firmly decide on the Piranha V? Last I read (and I've not been as geeky around these things a I once was, so I'm probably outdated) they were still pottering on with the turret upgrade, so by the time Warrior/FRES program actually got going, Piranha is going to be aging somewhat? Then again most tailored equipment always seems to be horrifially out of date once it enters service. The CV90 only popped to mind on a purely fictional front, and that I thought it looked rather spiffing in that getup.

The storyline, no, but in going for the 'not to distant future' type scenario, it seemed like a nice 'shift' away from the stuff I used to do, hence the idea of Ocelot, Husky, etc (and any sensible possibles, such as FRES or something along those lines), so the interest is there. Given UKF is done and dusted, I'd be more than happy to work with yourself, just need to spend some time between now and A3 release working on my competances again.

Anyway, wholey off topic now, sorry Rock, hard to keep off memory lane and nerding about the future.

[edit]

ah yeah, thats true da12th, forgotten about that, also in terms of development times and getting thigns finished it made sense to bastardise as much as could be 'theoretically' worked into it.

When i tried i ended up remaking the entire model.

Well thats just because you have a problem :P

ahahaha

coffee over screen right there :D

As for the Future Warrior replacement isn't that going to be part of the FRES stuff? I know the Scout Variant is supposed to be the General Dynamic ASCOD. I thought the Warrior's replacement was going to be the Piranha V?.

No, FRES UV/ is a Saxon/Bulldog replacement but the project itself is pretty much starting from scratch now, so the decision on Piranha IV is effectively overturned. I personally think we'll end up with VBCI now that we're seeking stronger cooperation with France.

Warrior is getting a new turret and electronic architecture on top of the sort of TES(H) upgrades to armour - that will probably see it trundle on for many more years. The turret wont be the BAe Systems one BIS made for BAF though - that lost out to one designed by Lockheed Martin (who are doing the turret for GD's FRES Scout).

The turrets will be done by our lot at Donnington. ;)

Just a short reply...

BV206 with L118 tow script - Again no real ambition to make on but if someone gets me some plans I might take a crack at it if someone wants to paint it.

Pictures...

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-13070220/news2.png.html

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-13070221/news3.png.html

[edit]

BV206 granQ is making?

Points noted on my list. Strike Springer and ATMP, Add L118 model with LINAPS :)

Edited by Tankieboy2

[*]Working on customised engine sounds etc although i suspect i may end up reusing some of Rexeuk's stuff if hes amenable.

Sorry mate, Rexeh has retired from the arma game, Ive told him that you were interested in using his stuff, so im sure he'll be in touch at some point.

He said he gave you the files on skype a while back, so you're free to edit away.

Edited by CannonousCrash

Sorry mate, Rexeh has retired from the arma game, Ive told him that you were interested in using his stuff, so im sure he'll be in touch at some point.

I thought I hadn’t seen him for a while. Well Rob gave me permission to use and abuse the sound expansion he made for our Typhoon. I was planning on giving him a nudge and asking if he was ok with me reusing some bits on other RKSL projects. I just haven’t gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

… It looks like Springer is being binned (because it's shit), so little point in doing one of those, and ATMP is all but gone. granQ is making a BV206, including a British one (maybe he'll even make a Viking in future for SFP, seeing as Sweden just bought a bunch of the back cabs from the RM's Viking fleet for their own Afghanistan requirements). And IMO the community would need a proper L118 model with LINAPS, longer barrel etc. before making a towing script ; the M119A1/L119 isn't quite as awesome as the L118 could be with a nice LINAPS script.

I knew the Springer was received with, well lets says less than open arms. Last I heard they were using them to carry mail around Bastion.

ATMP was fun to drive! I may have to make one just to relive a very happy afternoon trying to sink one in a lake. We were supposed to be trying to take some nesting boxes onto an island but we went sight seeing instead and got it full of water. And contrary to the PR blurb. You can sink them J

BV206 – arent all the 206’s bring replaced by Vikings now? At least in the combat roles? I’d rather make the Viking since it a bit more future proof. But if GranQ & the German Armed Forces guys are making a British one there isn’t much need to duplicate it.

L118 = No real problem. I have one in my library. It needs some work to make it practical for ArmA2/3 – it is an engineering model – since its very high poly. The LINAPS stuff I’m sorry but I have no idea how it works or how to script it so if you fancy writing the scripts I’ll sort the model.

Getting back on topic though; I concur with my good friends. Your website looks like it's going to be really nice Rock - very easy on the eye. All the the social networking widgets irk me; but only because of my aversion to such cultural phenomena.

Im not a huge fan of the Social Networking craze either but it does help with traffic and spreading the “good wordâ€. And I am trying to keep the gadgetry crap to an absolute minimum.

LMAO And you don’t? How many times did you remake the Chally? And all the other “little things†you’ve done.

I'm sure Mike will know the most about the Warrior stuff, but did they every actually firmly decide on the Piranha V? Last I read (and I've not been as geeky around these things a I once was, so I'm probably outdated) they were still pottering on with the turret upgrade, so by the time Warrior/FRES program actually got going, Piranha is going to be aging somewhat? Then again most tailored equipment always seems to be horrifially out of date once it enters service. The CV90 only popped to mind on a purely fictional front, and that I thought it looked rather spiffing in that getup.

Tbh I stopped following FRES around the SDSR. It just pissed me off too much and work changed direction around the same time and I ended up making more TV stuff rather than sims.

I will always bow to Mike’s knowledge on the state of wheeled things. The last time I showed the Warrior I got told off for having the wrong optics on the commander’s side.

I rather liked the CV90. I did start making one but I was disappointed when it lost out to the ASCOD in the FRES:SV competition.

@ Mike/Da12th So what is the state of play with FRES? Reset and run it all again?

The storyline, no, but in going for the 'not to distant future' type scenario, it seemed like a nice 'shift' away from the stuff I used to do, hence the idea of Ocelot, Husky, etc (and any sensible possibles, such as FRES or something along those lines), so the interest is there. Given UKF is done and dusted, I'd be more than happy to work with yourself, just need to spend some time between now and A3 release working on my competances again.

I have a very similar view. Right now all Im doing is updating a few things for ArmA2 but the new stuff is planned mainly for ArmA3. Early builds of some things like the F-35C might escape early though.

And as I said before I would be more than happy to collaborate. I have several ambitions for ArmA3.

1: Continue to add to the UK faction

2: Push IAP so we can have a viable African playground and decent OPFOR with some non-Soviet/Russian kit.

IAP will be an open door mod. If others are genuinely willing to help out and pick up some of my slack (unwrapping and textures especially) we can have some nice things pretty quickly in ArmA3.

I’ll be sending some PM’s and Invites out to people over the next few days once I’ve finished the new forums setup.

BV206 – arent all the 206’s bring replaced by Vikings now? At least in the combat roles? I’d rather make the Viking since it a bit more future proof. But if GranQ & the German Armed Forces guys are making a British one there isn’t much need to duplicate it.

I think the only real 'combat' role for the BV206 currently, is carrying the ARTHUR/MAMBA counter-battery radar. The RM and Army have a fairly numerous legacy of 206s still around, even with Viking as the RM's combat personnel carrier, recovery vehicle, command post etc. The Army is currently using Warthog in Afghanistan for the sort of things that the RM'd use Viking for everywhere else; they tended to the BV206 on a more specialised basis. Will be 'interesting' if they keep Warthog for long though, post-Aghan-withdrawal.

L118 = No real problem. I have one in my library. It needs some work to make it practical for ArmA2/3 – it is an engineering model – since its very high poly. The LINAPS stuff I’m sorry but I have no idea how it works or how to script it so if you fancy writing the scripts I’ll sort the model.

Me, scripting? Surely you're taking the piss! I'm far too stupid to know the first thing about that stuff (much to my own disappointment). :D

LINAPS is a bit like the ballistic calculator and lay-measuring components of Soul_Assassin/NouberNou/rexehuk's M109A6+BCV, just without all the auto-laying stuff for the gun. Chris used L118/LINAPS a few times when he was in the OTC. IIRC he explained it to me as working something like this:

You input the fire mission (target and battery grid, altitude, ammunition etc.) on the gun-layer's console and it calculates the firing solution (elevation, azimuth etc.) required. You have to rotate the entire gun to within 100 mils of the correct azimuth then fine adjust the lay of the barrel to match the output from the ballistic computer. The gun's fitted with a 3D laser-gyro GPS/INS system above the barrel to measure the elevation and yaw (lay) of the gun, as well as the grid and azimuth of the arty battery itself. There's an odometer on the wheel that measures when the gun is moved and inputs it to the GPS/INS and relays it to the commander's navigation display unit, so you can put the info into the ballistic computer when needed.

BIS's artillery ballistic computer module thingumy works like a very simple (and overly precise) equivalent to LINAPS anyway. Scripting another system would only be worthwhile if you wanted a more in-depth/realistic system like the afore-mentioned Paladin. I guess it's largely the same as you'd treat any AS90 addon you might do, since that also has a similar system (but with auto-lay).

@ Mike/Da12th So what is the state of play with FRES? Reset and run it all again?

See my last w/r/t FRES UV/Piranha. FRES Scout/ASCOD II is still rolling ahead as a priority procurement along with Warrior CSP. The other FRES SV platforms that might use ASCOD are still a bit of a mystery - BAe are offering to convert surplus Warriors to perform some of the roles envisaged for FRES SV (they've made a pretty cool prototype for a Warrior AVRE/AVLB with Pearson) so I'd expect a smaller fleet of FRES SV than previously envisaged.

Edited by da12thMonkey

There was me thinking the warthog was for the RM as an upgrade for their vikings. Odd they would go for two different vehicles when you consider servicability/spare parts/interservice knowledge? Unless the idea is to eventually shift the RM onto the warthogs?