Sign in to follow this  
Raunhofer

The best way to add roads?

WOW! Homer, I see the birth of a new 3DE...:yay::yay::yay:

Beer for Homer! And once against community prevails :) outstanding Homer.

Is there some reason why people don't double click the terminator part of the road and then go to modify A , B, C, or D. Does that not work?

You guys all make is sound like you are putting in a road piece and then aligning it manually with another. Why don't you use the above way mentioned?

Of course that works and i think most of us do it that way...but it takes a lot of training to get a "feeling" for the roads. I remember in the beginning of mapping i always ended in deleting roads most of the time.

Having different methods to choose from is better. Homers method would be great to make roads fit easily to the satmap. And if one day the tool called Linemapper will work, we might be able to create roadnetworks from gis data. These things will be very helpful especially when making realworld maps... and it saves time

btw. thanks for your effort Homer!

.... mostly just for a backup of my work (I'm always paranoid that I'll get hit by a bus and will disappear from the community and noone will be able to continue my work, haha).

LOL ... we'll we're now paranoid about it too, because this is starting to look Awesome!

GJ

Of course that works and i think most of us do it that way...but it takes a lot of training to get a "feeling" for the roads. I remember in the beginning of mapping i always ended in deleting roads most of the time.

Having different methods to choose from is better. Homers method would be great to make roads fit easily to the satmap. And if one day the tool called Linemapper will work, we might be able to create roadnetworks from gis data. These things will be very helpful especially when making realworld maps... and it saves time

btw. thanks for your effort Homer!

Oh okay. A lot of people I have read posts from made it sound like it was the worst thing in the world. I've been doing it since OFP though so I guess I just have the hang of it. If nothing else it is far better than the old WRPEdit way of doing it... that sucked.

Yeah... in case it wasn't clear: the "drawn" road in my last picture (green dots) was created with two clicks (well... "key presses" for now), and the entire time I had a live-preview of it before placing it. I think that it will be fairly easy to find an X,Y start and direction from Visitor, then alt-tab over to ArmA, input X,Y / direction ... draw road, perform export process, import into Visitor, and repeat.

I'll never be able to make this as comprehensive as 3DE unfortunately... I'm not good enough with dialogs, and I do work a full-time job :p. My future tasks are:

• accuracy check: lay a really long road in ArmA and see if the end location in Visitor matches (ArmA uses 8-bit calculations, so this shouldn't be a problem but I'm going to have to check it anyway). Might need to do some tweaking if Visitor overlaps road pieces at all?? if anyone had any info on this subject I'd love to hear it.
  • improving user interactions; hopefully using mouse-input and maybe a couple of special toggleable options for placement routines
  • improve Visitor <> Arma transition; create a dialog in ArmA to input start coordinates & road type
  • Use Lester's addon mentioned below to place actual road pieces in editor instead of "dots"

Going to busy the next few days with real-life stuff, but tonight I'm going to try and start a separate thread for the tool.

Edited by Homer Johnston

My best tip for road making with this fancy Homer utility is:

- make new layer "redroads" on sat_lco.psd you're working on

- draw road with 5-10px thick RED-colored freehand lines in photoshop where real roads are (or make up fictional) in google maps.

- import the new sat_lco into V3, compile and run up A2.

- use tools by drawing a road over these lines and organize copypasted stuff into well decribed txt files

- import into V3

At least thats how I worked on roads badly visible on satellite maps.

p.s. you'll probably have to toy around with sections in order for "road smoothing" script to work on different kind of slopes.

@ Lester: Is the 3d editor from mapfact suitable for arma2? Can it use custom objects?

I have tried it when i was at the beginning of mapping in Arma1 and i just did not get it to work properly ( my fault).

If it works for arma2 ...maybe it should be promoted a bit more since i think it was a nice tool...

The 3DE aren't able to run on the regular Arma2 Version and i'm afraid that nothing would change that in the next months. :(

But the MAP_EU for ArmA2 is linked to the original BIS Model pathes, so they are placeable in the Editor or Ingame.

Of cause the AI needs Island placed Roads to use them correctly, but for any kind of Editor solution the EU can be used, the model pathes are 100% BIS.

So after a Visitor Import of the produced data all pathes work in the exact way like the road objects have been placed via Visitor. ;)

(The mission shadow projection on editor placed Roads belong to some priority changes in the RVMATs, after island implant they are OK !)

For ArmA1 with a better useability with the 3DE we have made "our own" centered roads based on the BIS roads because they are much more handy to place them with the 3DE.

If you need anything help with addons or configs feel free to pn me, i have also a need on tools for better island editing, Visitor is imho unhandy for effective work. :rolleyes: