Sign in to follow this  
Zarf

8800gtx; 8GB; Vista x64

Has anyone got a magic configuration to make Arma2 run decently on the above system without frequent crashes or texture corruption? I've tried a whole slew of different drivers and adding parameters to the startup shortcut, but still not got great results.

If possible i'd prefer not to limit my ram.

Thanks in advance.

If you have made a bunch of changes and have the latest patch. I would try deleting your arma2.cfg file and "yourname".cfg file, then add the -winxp switch to your shortcut. After you have restarted the game exit, (arma2 will have redetected your setup) Then go to the .cfg files and see what arma is detecting you localVram and nonlocalVram.

1. People have reported that the best driver for them is the 182.50

2. Nvidia control panel for arma2.exe Force off: AF, AA, AA Gamma correction, AA Transparency, AA Setting none, Max prerendered frames (try 8), Force single display mode, Power management = prefer performance, Texture filtering off, Texture filt neg lod bias =clamp, Threaded optimization = on, Vsync = force off.

3. I don't know what your native monitor res is or your CPU. Arma2 likes ghz. I noticed a gain going from 2.4 - 3.0 and then 3.0 - 3.2 on my Q6600. Both gain in FPS, and a general smoothing in performance with reduced texture load times.

4. In arma2 video options : AA off, AF off, PP off, shadows high (i honestly don't see any change in performance between low and high but they look way better. V high does cause performance drop for me.) View distance 3000, the rest normal. Again I don't know what res you are running at so... But your fillrate should be 100% to start.

Anyways I hope this helps a little.

Cheers TheMantis,

I think i've sorted it, I rebooted to safemode, uninstalled everything nvidia and ran a driver cleaner to get rid of any traces left, then restarted and put the latest 190.62 WHQL's on ... now it runs fine.

Must have just been some holdover from an old driver revision in there, I've had this install over 2 years now.

The fun will begin again on Friday, i've decided to go Solid State Drive with Windows 7 (fed up of the loading times), but tonight has given me hope it'll run well on a clean system.

Edited by Zarf

Zarf:

Let me know if it works for you on the new system.

Mine still does not. I did a totally new system build and a clean fresh install of Win 7 64, newest nvidia drivers, and Arma II w/ patch 1.03

I still get the white, screwed up textures unless I use the -winxp flag (which I dont like doing)

Let me know if it runs OK on your clean build.

Hi Guys i am running 190.62 with physx disabled, and to solve alot of problems also run nhancer which has fixed 99% crash to desktop, running win 7 x64 4g ram e8400 285 gtx, although there is a small amount of corruption in graphics, on very high with 1680 x 1050 i get between 28-44 fps.

i use a modified crysis selection in nhancer 2.51 which i renamed to arma 2, so far so good no errors. also mine is the german version with english as a mod.