Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Climb over tall obstacles

No, I don't mean jumping... I mean something analogous to the step over (V) function we have now, except for climbing up onto something - eg. over walls (albeit not very high ones - slightly less than the height of the soldier at most) or for climbing up onto something when moving along a rooftop. What do you folks think?

Edited by echo1

Mirror's Edge meets Arma2?

Would be nice to see AI climbing on walls and moving on rooftops only to figure out that this path was the wrong way. Or wait there to fall down down on enemy's head... Kamikaze AI :D

Some good & smooth animations needed, aswell as some weight system to make climbing feature believable. Would be just wrong if you can climb easily with full gear/backpacks or AT/AA launchers or M107/KSVK.

It's not something I'd recommend for AI, but for players it could be quite helpful. Weight is an issue, but it's not as if weight is consistently taken into account throughout ArmA II. So, do we block a potentially useful feature because of something that isn't really modeled accurately elsewhere?

I think a clambering action for walls < 2m would be good. Can even bind it to the same "step over" action.

Thats bullshit man :D What I should rather see is possibility to cut wires. But this is bullshit :D If this was possible, there will not stay any obstacles for infantry.

Good idea. To simplify this they could add in a ladder or grappling hook for players so we could get on wall/buildings, even up in trees? Talk about a good sniper position!

Thats bullshit man :D What I should rather see is possibility to cut wires. But this is bullshit :D If this was possible, there will not stay any obstacles for infantry.

I don't see how and why this request would be "bullshit".

I'm all for it but first they need to fix certain ladders that kill you if you try to climb them and the unreal amount of dammage you take from an 8 foot fall.

If this was possible, there will not stay any obstacles for infantry.

I'm not sure what the 'this' refers to - either you're talking about cutting wires - in which case you're wrong, because obviously there are obstacles that aren't made of barbed wire. Alternatively you are referring to the ability to climb over things - but as I said in my original post, there should be some kind of limit to how high a wall you should be able to climb, so I'm not talking about jumping over buildings or whatever it is you're on about.

What was it that you were saying about bullshit?

Good idea. To simplify this they could add in a ladder or grappling hook for players so we could get on wall/buildings, even up in trees? Talk about a good sniper position!

There was a great mod for ArmA 1 that had an 'assault ladder', but obviously not every soldier is going to be carrying one of those, so the need for climbing still stands.

Edited by echo1