Sign in to follow this  
NutzMcKracken

Running ArmA 2 (steam version) as a 64 bit process??

I now have a Steam version on my PC and noticed that Steam wants to run ArmA 2 as a 32 bit process (arma2.exe *32 in Task Manager, processes wiht *32 next to description or name are applications and processes running in 32bit). I think this is because Steam wants to run as a 32 bit process along with its various services. I noticed a big performance hit on my machine since I am running Win 7 64 Bit (RTM 7600) and previously installed a retail copy at 64bit and ran as smooth as ice!!! With the same settings I'm seeing a preformance hit since I'm thinking its the memory addressing in the 32bit emulation, that or the emulation having to work extra hard now and not such a light application!

So my question is this, has anyone been able to get the Steam version of ArmA 2 to run in true 64bit in either Vista 64, or XP 64?

I'd be glad to hear how you did it!!

I don't think it's possible since Arma 2 is written for 32 compatibility only. Running it in 64bit should efffectively.. well, it shouldn't run in 64 bit pure at all. Although if I'm wrong I'd be happy for someone to tell me if it is at all possible but as I said, I believe it's written for 32bit only (hence why it can't address more than 2gb of ram)

uhm, I think I mentioned I was running it in 64bit (with retail version).

Also in Task manager it wasn't emulated as a 32bit process, hence it ran in 64bit, and ran awesome. What I'm saying now is that I have a Steam version and it wants to run as a 32bit application.

Please I'm asking for input from people who have experience in running 64 bit applications, who run 64bit versions of Windows and know what I'm talking about.

Don't mean to sound harsh or rude, but looking to ask some of the community that have had experience like myself with 64bit applications and processes; and if anyone has found a work around for the "Steam" version of ArmA 2.

It's got me pissed that since I've purchased my own copy now off Steam, I can't run the Steam version as 64bit and had used a friend's Retail copy previously to do some development for an addon, and it did run 64 bit!!!

Thanks

SirSmok@lot;1426637']I have a Steam version and it wants to run as a 32bit application.
but it is a 32-bit application.
SirSmok@lot;1426637']Please I'm asking for input from people who have experience in running 64 bit applications' date=' who run 64bit versions of Windows and know what I'm talking about.[/b']
I have the retail DVD version of ARMA and run Windows 7 64-Bit but count me out as I have no idea what your talking about?. Edited by mlenser
added the word "is"

ArmA2 is a 32bit application which means it never runs as 64bit version, unless there will be a true 64bit arma2.exe which is most probably not going to happen. And I doubt that Steam provides a 64bit version either.

That said, ArmA2 will run in a 64bit OS always in 32bit emulation using WOW64. If there was no *32 in the task manager than it was a 32bit OS.

I'm just surprised because I thought it was mentioned by the developers that arma 2 was only 32 bit, although I could be mistaken. I've attempted to run the German DVD version in 64 bit (by shifting the registry key from wow to main key, or forcing to install as pure 64) but I just get an error that arma2.exe does not support 64bit mode.

Just curious how you got the original version to run in 64bit mode and from that I should be able to figure out how to get the steam version working

Just curious how you got the original version to run in 64bit mode and from that I should be able to figure out how to get the steam version working

You don't, it's not possible. Read what W0lle said above.

And according to what Suma said here it most likely never will be either ;)

Edited by Deadfast

yea after looking more closely and reinstalling I noticed the same.....my bad.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong....I could have sworn I saw arma2.exe not running as a 32 bit process on my first install with retail.....:o

I tried recreating it best I could but oh well....guess I was wrong.

I did a few things late last night to get it to runa bit better. I did notice that I was running AA by default and think that was the major hit on performance!

I'll be sure to check those last few details before posting! Sorry to getting anyone upset or annoyed. Big fail on my part...lol:j:

ArmA2 is a 32bit application which means it never runs as 64bit version, unless there will be a true 64bit arma2.exe which is most probably not going to happen. And I doubt that Steam provides a 64bit version either.

That said, ArmA2 will run in a 64bit OS always in 32bit emulation using WOW64. If there was no *32 in the task manager than it was a 32bit OS.

lol for sure, steam doesn't have source code of bohemia $$$.

but maybe they could flag the arma2 binary large adress aware ? and/or resolve forever the 4GB++ ram problem .

The retail version installs to C:\Program Files whereas the Steam version runs from C:\Program Files x86\. This folder is a 32 bit emulation folder. I have found running the game from the regular Program Files folder to improve performance.

The retail version installs to C:\Program Files whereas the Steam version runs from C:\Program Files x86\. This folder is a 32 bit emulation folder. I have found running the game from the regular Program Files folder to improve performance.
I have my Retail version installed on G:\ARMA 2\ and ALL my Steam stuff (no Arma 2) on G:\Steam\

I rarely install games to their default directories as it bloats my C: all to hell making backups impractical. Also as I'm running a dual boot system, having all my games on their own partition makes it more manageable.

Why don't game developers develop games in a x64 environment? Couldn't you emulate the original x64 to x86 and then support both IE using memory and CPUs to their full extent.

good info to go on!! Thanks Deadfast!

@Hotel, yea I ntoiced the same, not sure why that is ....maybe the Steam services running in back ground? I compared both retail and Steam the other night (yes both ran as 32bit, lol) and even set ALL setting to the same (AA off especially) and I noticed a slight difference in performance when it came to the "blur effect" (can't remember what it is called). Not sure what that means but thought I'd throw that out there!

Sounds more like a placebo effect to me.

Doesn't matter what directory the executable is installed in, there's nothing special about the x86 folder - it's not going to cripple the game if it just happens to be installed in there.