Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

XP64 d3d9.dll CTDs' and bad memory detection.

As you may know from other posts I made, I was on Vista64 but dual booted with XP64 to get better FPS, which I do. However, I seem to be getting a lot of Crashes To Desktop relating to the file D3D9.dll. I never get this with Vista64.

One thing I have noticed that may be the cause and needs to be resolved anyway is the auto detection of my system and gfx card ram in Arma2.cfg.

I have 2x 9800gtx with 512mb, and 4gb of system ram. This is what it says in Arma2.cfg on XP64:

localVRAM=419626881;

nonlocalVRAM="332398591";

Video ram looks about right, but system ram is way off. According to that .cfg I have 300mb of ram? Windows sees 4gb as does DXDiag.

This is what the Arma2.cfg detects in Vista64:

localVRAM="521732096";

nonlocalVRAM="1878282240";

Which is pretty much perfect from what I can tell, since Arma2 only uses 2gb.

I have seen others post about incorrect detection, but not this bad. Anyone any ideas? I have tried -maxmem=2047, changing various in game memory settings and making the game recreate the .cfg numerous times and disabling the PageFile, but it always detects nonlocalVRAM="332398591";.

------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, while getting it to recreate the Arma2.cfg, I have seen it choose some very strange numbers for 3DPerformance:

3D_Performance=93750;

3D_Performance=-4194304; minus?

3D_Performance=100000;

So what is it supposed to be, what does this value do and does it affect performance? If BIS could confirm some of these things then it would mean less time wasted worrying about things that may make no difference for frustrated users trying to get the best out of this game / trying to fix and troubleshoot problems.

You are on the DXmarch 09? and if you are , just reinstall anyways.

Yeah your .cfg #s are all over!?! I see in the forum allot of wacky ,cfg #s for SLi...i use the -4194304; its the most common one i have ever gotten.( CFX here). Tho with the xxxx99 beta i did get a 100000;. But I just write over it with my successful .cfg.

You should use this, and then set it to "Read Only"

localVRAM=1060499328;

nonlocalVRAM=2136342528;

Yeah, I was considering the Read Only thing. But, we don't really know if this works. I mean, it could be like just putting blinkers on and pretending its ok. Maybe these lines in the config are written by Arma to show what memory it's using, not to tell Arma what memory to use. And even if it does tell Arma what memory to use, if it's not what it would auto detect, it may just ignore it. I would much prefer it to automatically detected my memory correctly.