Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Smoke Grenades

I'm running 1.03.58899 and the smoke grenades seem to fall through the landscape. Any fix for this?

On 1.03 regular, no beta patch, you throw one, it deploys for about two seconds, then dissipates within 2 seconds, pretty useless. I heard they fixed it in the first beta patch, possibly messed it up again in this new one?

I just tested in 1.03.58899 and they work fine here. Lasts for 1 minute.

Are you actually using the beta shortcut to run the game?

This is quite confusing.... on my game patch 1.03 broke them.

Then the beta patches have fixed them, including 58899. On my game the smoke lasts for a minute or longer.

BUT on my friends 58899 the smoke only lasts 4 or 5 seconds.

We were playing COOP campaign and at one stage decided to test the smoke grenades (for performance drops) and i was telling him how it looked very cool.. and he said there was no smoke.

We then tested and indeed his 58899 smoke is still disappearing after say 5 seconds... mine lasts close to a minute.

Yapa

This is quite confusing.... on my game patch 1.03 broke them.

Then the beta patches have fixed them, including 58899. On my game the smoke lasts for a minute or longer.

BUT on my friends 58899 the smoke only lasts 4 or 5 seconds.

We were playing COOP campaign and at one stage decided to test the smoke grenades (for performance drops) and i was telling him how it looked very cool.. and he said there was no smoke.

We then tested and indeed his 58899 smoke is still disappearing after say 5 seconds... mine lasts close to a minute.

Yapa

Any of you running the SLX addons? There's a smoke grenade fix in those.

Nah totally vanilla games, we dont mod much and usually finish/play games in vanilla.

Only after we finish and fully play the vanilla do we investigate mods :)

I'm not running anything SLX here. I'm using the beta shortcut, yes.

**EDIT**

I tried using them again and one out of four smoke grenades stuck to the ground and worked like in 1.02.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

i find they dont bounce as much in xxxx99, actually they stick on certain surfaces...?

I'm having trouble with the smoke grenades as well. I'm running 1.03.58627 vanilla and the smoke grenades only last for about 2 seconds and then disappear.

Edited by GraveMatter

+1 for smoke not working properly.

Very small cloud and very short duration.

103.xxxx99

i7920@3.6

GTX295 190.62

VU64

I'm having trouble with the smoke grenades as well. I'm running 1.03.58627 vanilla and the smoke grenades only last for about 2 seconds and then disappear.

yes it's a known problem in 1.03...it's fixed in the beta patches

If you'd read the posts you'd know it's NOT fixed in the beta patches.

It is. I think it's just people not running the beta patch properly.

Check the main menu when the game is running to see the build number.

I just checked again with the latest beta with white, red and green smoke shells as well as tank smoke screens. Worked perfectly.

Edited by Maddmatt

If you'd read the posts you'd know it's NOT fixed in the beta patches.

Ya, I read the posts. And it STILL works on my end. I think it's either you not knowing how to run the beta or we're running two different games

It is. I think it's just people not running the beta patch properly.

Check the main menu when the game is running to see the build number.

I just checked again with the latest beta with white, red and green smoke shells as well as tank smoke screens. Worked perfectly.

Good to know mate..thanks!

Okay, so just to clarify; I need to run a shortcut that says -mod=beta right? Just like any other mod?

**EDIT**

I just realized there is one other step too, you have to run a shortcut from the .exe in the beta directory. I assumed it would be the same as ArmA 1 where you just run the beta folder like any other mod. My bad.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Yeah I just tried it once I figured out the way to get betas working is different from ArmA 1 and they are working.

The smoke is definitely now working properly in terms of billowing and how long it lingers in 1.03.58946.

* I thought ArmA and ArmA 2 both dealt with the Beta installations the same. That is, launch the Beta executable with a shortcut to it as the 'target', the 'working directory' as the main ArmA 2 installation (ie one level up from the Beta) and then calling the Beta with -mod-beta. Am I not remembering this correctly?

Best of Luck,

Edited by Akilez