Let me preface my rant by saying that, I am a hardcore Arma fan. However, I like many people with whom I have spoken find Arma 2 to be frustrating and disappointing due to the number of bugs and omissions. I think the game could be radically improved by fixing or introducing the following things:
1) A default revive module which is easy to configure and allows for players to be injured for a longer period of time before dying - they should just pay norrin for his excellent script and incorporate it into the game. I feel as though a lot of coop missions are ruined by the lack of this gameplay element. I would even like to suggest a default respawn module to be added to the editor also. Why do players, who pay for the game, have to rely on the skills and work of a community? A lot of people who want to make maps, but lack time or skill, find the idea of using 3rd-party scripts daunting. Surely the game makers know that respawn and revive are essential parts of the game. Why can't they include them in the editor as an easy to use module? Grrrr - so annoying! The idea of sequential respawn is a really nice one, a module which allowed for dead players to be respawned when an objective is achieved or a certain level of progress is made.
(Also, this module should cater for PvP user-made missions).
2) Fix the AI and the grass/vegetation problem. It is insanely frustrating to be shot by AI who can see you when you cannot see them. It seems as though hiding in the grass does nothing to hide you from them. Same goes for the smoke.
3) Aircraft countermeasures and lock-on warnings. The use of aircraft and helicopters without some form of countermeasure is totally nuts.
4) Why can't squad leaders see the targets that they set for their team? I have failed to understand this since Arma 1. If they are setting the targets, surely they should know where they are; hence, they should be able to see their own targets.
5) The voice acting - it's awful. Anyone with half an ear can tell that many of the voice actors are not native speakers of English - 'ahh my leg' comes to mind (why is it always his leg? Is that the only part of a soldiers body susceptible to damage or inury?). Also, the ones who are native speakers sound terrible, you can almost hear them changing the sheets of paper in the background as they read from the hastily written notes in a recording studio.
6) Custom Aircraft Loadouts - surely the game would be better is a mission-maker could choose the loadout of an aircraft's weapons without giving himself a stroke by using scripting language.
7) The UAVs - they look amazing, but they are totally wasted. Nobody uses them in their maps and the AI pilots fly in a frustrating grid pattern. Why can't they be remotely piloted by using the UAV module? Who doesn't think that would be an improvement? Who wouldn't like to fly a UAV around blowing stuff up?
8) Fighting inside buildings and kicking-in doors. Blurghh - ohh how the game trailers deceived me there. That would also be an amazing improvement in the game. At the moment, fighting in a building feels as clunky as a Soviet tractor.
9) In-built game templates in the editor (coop and PvP) which allow laymen a chance to make their own missions without having to read 6 billion posts on the BI forums.
10) An artillery module which is not tied to the Secops thing. Why can't you put some cannons on the ground, away from the action area, and then have the players be able to call in an artillery strike? Why can't the editor and the game have a more simple module which is easily configurable for a noob? Furthermore, can they do something about the Artillery targetting module when a player is using a cannon or arty piece? That small map with the eye-straining target lines in pretty amateur, why do we have to wait for a community member to make something better? (but then nobody will use it on a server as it will be an add-on!) Grrrrh!
Don't think I am down on this game, it's pretty much the only game I play. However, I know that many of my friends and clan-mates are waiting for OFP2 to be released as they believe it will offer a much better gaming experience than Arma 2. This saddens me, as I believe that with a few small but significant changes, Arma 2 should be the best military sim out there.
However, I have a suspicion that BI is not going to do anything significant to Arma 2 (maybe they will change rainbow visibility like in the last patch) and that we will be left with a broken game of squandered potential. BI - please don't let us down. I convinced all of my friends to buy this game!