Sign in to follow this  
Sabbath

Bad to Worse

I don't use FRAPS so I don't know what my FPS are but I have been playing on a few multiplay servers since they came back on line again after the "maintanence" at the begining of the week and I have to say that the FPS have dropped significantly. I know we all appreciate that people are trying to fix things to make this game more playable for us, but IMO things are going from Bad to Worse.

BF2 is now coming out of retirement hoping the new 1.50 patch on Tuesday gives it a new lease of life, and ARMA2 is going in its place on the shite game shelf, at least until patch 1.04 comes out, but as previous patches have proven, they try but unfortunately they dont fix anything. Hopefully BF2 will be good for another year and by that time ARMA2 might be somewhere near playable.

Edited by Sabbath

Dont worry OFP2 is out in October...

:D

Too bad it has more in common with CoD4 than ArmA 2... :(

Dont worry OFP2 is out in October...

Probably be another piece of crap too. :rolleyes:

ArmA2 != BF2

You can not compare them. They do not have anything in common but the possibility to drive/fly vehicles.

Are you sure you're playing on the same servers? I don't know why performance would be worse when all they did was change the way it connects to Gamespy. Maybe they changed something with the forced settings. I hate when servers force grass on along with a huge view distance.

Thats a good point randir 14, I never thought to check if they upped the view distance etc on the server. I only play the domination west 1.03 servers and when you first connect and the camera slowly zooms in to your character, before it was smooth, now it zooms in really laggy. Also when I jump in the helicopter to take the MHQ to the battle I never dropped a frame but now it is jerking all over the place. It is a shame because ARMA2 is brilliant and I planned never to play BF2 again but I can't play single player ARMA 2 because in the third mission of the campaign the frame rate drops to about 3 FPS and now the multiplay has all of a sudden dropped frame rates. I know BF2 is no ARMA 2 but unfortunately there is no other games I like to play. I bought COD 4 (now on my shite games shelf) I bought COD 5 WAW (now on my shite game shelf). As I said ARMA 2 is brilliant but it is becoming more and more unplayable with every patch so it looks like BF2 is going to get another try. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand BF2, after being an admin and seeing all the cheating scum who I banned really put me off playing against human opponents, this is amother reason I like ARMA 2 because I play against AI, even though the AI are pretty stupid after the last 1.03 patch. This game is going to be top notch eventually but at the moment it is going on my shite games shelf. I know a lot of people who have bought ARMA 2 and like a lot of people in this forum are just unable to play it which pisses me off because this game should have never been released in the state it is in.

We have all these laws coming in to protect the music artists, Movie companies and software manufacturers against piracy, WTF have we got to protect us against all these shite games coming out.

Edited by Sabbath

I don't use FRAPS so I don't know what my FPS are but I have been playing on a few multiplay servers since they came back on line again after the "maintanence" at the begining of the week and I have to say that the FPS have dropped significantly. I know we all appreciate that people are trying to fix things to make this game more playable for us, but IMO things are going from Bad to Worse.

BF2 is now coming out of retirement hoping the new 1.50 patch on Tuesday gives it a new lease of life, and ARMA2 is going in its place on the shite game shelf, at least until patch 1.04 comes out, but as previous patches have proven, they try but unfortunately they dont fix anything. Hopefully BF2 will be good for another year and by that time ARMA2 might be somewhere near playable.

Servers need to restart every so often. When it has restarted performance is back up .

Are you using the beta patches? Or at least updated to the latest final patch?

I don't know why people post their issues in the Troubleshooting forum and don't give us any information for us to help them with it. Guess they just come to complain and that's all. We'll find out this guy's trying to play it on a rig that can barely handle his BF2. :rolleyes:

First off zipper my multiplay game was working fine without the beta patches so why the hell would I want to ruin it by installing the latest beta patches.

at least until patch 1.04 comes out

So yes I think that is self explanitory that I am using patch 1.03, once more for the dummy at the back, yes I am using patch 1.03

My specs are

Q9450 2.66 clocked to 3.2

Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX @1066

Asus Rampage Formula ROG edition

4870 512 Mb

So go away little boy and keep your smart arse comments to yourself.

Hey, I was only saying that you hadn't put any information what so ever on there about what your specifications were, the specifics of the problem, or the patch you were using. That quote you just showed me is vague, at best. I bet most people would not have made the connection.

The beta patches install as a mod folder. That means you can enable them and disable them easily. They do not overwrite your install of v1.03. I suggested it as they have fixed many issues for many people, and it may have done the same for you.

I'd suggest you download Fraps and see what your FPS is. A drop from 40 to 35 FPS is noticeable, but it's not a huge deal, for example. Some missions are also very hard on servers and local PCs, causing your FPS to decrease locally as well.

Finally, what operating system are you using? There are issues that ArmA II has with all different operating above and including XP.

Personally, I have the following PC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 280

Windows XP Professional SP3

And my ArmA II (v1.03.58899) runs flawlessly on full settings at 2km VD. I almost always get above 30 FPS, and it never drops below 20 unless I'm recording a video with Fraps.

See? With more information we're able to help you now. Unlike before where it looked as if all you were doing was having a rant in the Troubleshooting section, to which you should have posted in General for it to have been locked quicker.

And screw off with your "dummy" and "smart arse" accusations. You're the one being uncooperative. :j:

I thought I was one of the lucky ones zipper, in that I was able to play this game with very playable frame rates. Sure I have the problem with graphics loading slowly in the city maps when spawning and the occasional stutter during gameplay. I have the odd CTD, the flickering windows and the pitch black alternated with flashing all over my screen when in Night vision mode but nothing that I can't put up with. I only play the multiplay servers but only the ones where I am on by myself or with maybe 2 or 3 others against the AI because if there are more than say 5 people on, the game slows down and the textures take longer and longer to load. My problem is now that even when I go on a server by myself the textures take ages to load and I am stuttering when flying, driving and just panning around villages. I have not changed any of my settings so the only thing I can put it down to is the downtime that the servers had at the beginning of the week.

My first serious problem with this game was that my computer would just shut down while playing, the strange thing was though it only did it on certain servers, example I could play for 5 - 6 hours on A,B,C,D and E servers without a problem, but as soon as I went on F,G and H servers my PC would just shut down. I would go back on A,B,C,D and E servers and again no problem, but as soon as I went on F,G and H my PC would shut down again. I fixed this by turning up the fan speed in CCC but for the life of me I still can't understand why it only did it on F,G and H servers when all the servers were Evolution 8 map servers.

Yesterday I fired up ARMA 2 and all of a sudden my monitor started turning itself off for a second, then back on for 3 seconds, then back off for a second and so on. I Alt Tabbed back into desktop and it was still turning itself on and off and my monitor had reverted back to all default settings including colour. (I am a photographer so I use colour calibration software and hardware to get my colours natural) All my colour profiles whilst still there did not work.

So I guess my point is :- I have been playing this game since the first day it was released and slowly it is getting worse and causing different problems with my PC. I am hoping patch 1.04 is going to be worthwhile but unfortunately I am stopping playing this game until said patch because this game at the moment is ....... well, I don't know what it is going to **** up next on my computer.

My operating system is Vista 64 SP2. Monitor is samsung 226 bw. Running both game visuals at 1680 X 1050 and 16:10 widescreen.

Sounds like a hardware/heat issue. My guess is that the servers you could play on had their viewdistance, terrain, and maybe some other options turned down so it didn't stress your PC as much. Then you jump on some that have all that stuff turned up and started overheating your cpu/gpu until your PC shuts down. Also having it slowly get worse over time is an indication of either dust buildup or a fan going bad.

Yesterday I fired up ARMA 2 and all of a sudden my monitor started turning itself off for a second, then back on for 3 seconds, then back off for a second and so on. I Alt Tabbed back into desktop and it was still turning itself on and off and my monitor had reverted back to all default settings including colour. (I am a photographer so I use colour calibration software and hardware to get my colours natural) All my colour profiles whilst still there did not work.

This is a pretty obvious indication of a GPU overheating. Monitor your cpu/gpu temps and make sure. Also, just to be safe, grab some canned air and blast away. I had similar problems when my fan on my CPU heatsink started crapping out on me, and it was spinning only a couple hundred RPMs. My games took longer to load, crashed, and I was getting weird performance until the inevitable CTD or reboot. While I'm waiting for my new HS/Fan unit, I stuck a room fan right next to the side of my case and the problems instantly went away

Edited by No Use For A Name