Sign in to follow this  
joske

mission framework

ok seeing that thanks to the release of Arma2 the Arma1 community is a bit drying out and because i think that mission making is underrated in comparison to addon making, im gonna post an idea i have which may make it more easier for people to take the step to make and release their missions and maybe keep a little action in the Arma1 community.

so my plan is that one person makes a user mission(one that other people can open in their editor) and in that mission the battlefront is outlined, so you take an area where you want the fighting to take place, and using markers you outline the frontline, units, bases,supply lines....etc.(dont't place the units on the map just some markers saying what units are in the area and in what position they are,if you have to you may put some objects on the map for bases..etc)

you should also make a briefing telling people what the situation is in the map and everything other people might need to know.

when that is finished you just upload it somewhere and then other people can start making their mission around the framework that is being provided and if they finish them they can then upload their missions and maybe adapt the framework so that the changes from their mission are incorperated into the framework and then the cycle starts over again.

now as for a few tips: try to make simple missions not fancy shiny missions that take months to develop and test, intro and outro are not required although having a good briefing is quite helpfull, when making a framework try to have a bit common sense when placing units because i dont think its viable to put an entire armored division on the map (for example a platoon is more then enough to capture a town), also try to limit the amount of addons because it can scare off people wanting to play the mission(the default Arma models are quite good) , and as a last word this is not something where you need to be a member off just make and play missions and have fun while doing it.

I can not understand your idea, but it looks like good.

You wanna make a huge battle with users AddOns?

You wanna work with AddOns makers and mission makers?

no what im trying to say is: somebody makes a mission (the framework), in this mission the situation is outlined: for example you got an sla company and an racs company, so you use markers to mark where the frontline is located, then (lets say each company has 3 platoons) you put markers where the platoons should be located, and to finish it you make a briefing in which you say anything you might think everyone else should know about the situation (for example one side is tired, one side is running out of supplies..etc)

then you post the framework in here (or somewhere else if you like) in such a way that other people can open the framework in the editor.

then for example somebody else downloads the framework and thinks it might be nice to let one platoon of racs attack the sla platoon in front of him, so he places one platoon of racs on the map with waypoints,triggers..etc to attack the sla platoon's position and you put the necessary waypoints,triggers..etc so that the sla will defend itself, then after that person finished the mission he posts it back here so that people can play it and possibly adapts the framework(change the position of the markers so that you can see what happened in the mission) and also posts the framework here so that people can make a new mission around it.

also you dont have to follow these guidelines if people will post frameworks here you can just use them any way you want to make your missions .

hope that made things clear for you

I think you underestimate the amount of coordination power and communication and organizational skills such an operation would require. Seriously. The idea is not bad, but from my own perspective, it is an idea executable by tight and well organized group of contributors, and such group, if it already exists, can make their own procedures for big mission making, if it doesn't I doubt you can create a group around this one.

Cheers and stay creative : )