Sign in to follow this  
OutLord

Game Closes itself to Desktop..

Game Closes itself to Desktop but in Taskmanager there is still a arma2.exe running in Task Manager - Processes?

Anyone can tell me whats going on here?

You know I have the exact same problem. It doesn't happen THAT often but is annoying.

Is it an ATI 4870 512Mb you are running ?

Anyone got a solution to it ? Although I can see it in processes (and it is still using CPU and memory) I cannot switch back into it ?

Graphics problem?

this happens to me from time to time as well. i run an nvidia gtx280 1gb. also run with vista 64.

I wonder if the devs have any solutions ? Sounds like its not the GFX card then :)

I get the same thing sometimes.

One night I was drunk and the game kept crashing so I would just launch it again right after the CTD. The next morning I woke up and checked my taskmanager for some other reason and I had 5 or 6 arma2.exe's running...That was like 4gigs of ram...LOL But I didnt even notice cuz the game was still running fine.... (I mean normal:rolleyes:).

Intel Core i7 920 || ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 || OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 || EVGA GTX285 FTW Edition 2GB VRAM || HD 640G WD 7K 16M || CORSAIR 750W PSU || 42" 1080p LCD Monitor || Razor Black Mamba Mouse || Track IR 5 Pro || Windows 7100

lol! arma while intoxicated (AWI)? i can barely stay away from alt + f4 while sober, so hats off to you gone3d!

Hells YEah AWI. Thats the only way to fly. Now comon' ya'lls, get in my helichoppterz :eek:

Some programs running in the background can sometimes take the focus away from the game. I've noticed I that sometimes I get an automatic update for my AV that that does that. It's also possible that it's spyware, I've had games drop out before because of that.

Try shutting down every thing you don't need.

Some programs running in the background can sometimes take the focus away from the game. I've noticed I that sometimes I get an automatic update for my AV that that does that. It's also possible that it's spyware, I've had games drop out before because of that.

Try shutting down every thing you don't need.

Yes, that was my thought too and I have nothing running that isnt essential. Stooped apps from Programs Startup to regedit hklm ....run and local user ... run.

Still closes unexpectedly quite regularly.

I run arma in windowed mode.

This machine only does gaming ArmA 2 and Lockon.. no emails. Antivirus/Antispyware isnt even installed.

i7 @ 3.7

2 x gtx 285's

Rampage 2 Extreme

xp pro

resources-at-start.jpg

Edited by [Ice]

Imo its most likely graphic card drivers, i had CTD all the time with the latest nvidia drivers, went back to 182.50 and only had one in a couple of days. Try with older ones, 182.50 are the best drivers for my 8800 so far.

Just out of curiousity... have any of you disabled error reporting in Windows, or installed a Windows that has error reporting disabled?

What I'm thinking is that you're looking at the "device freed" problem, where the GPU is having issues (usually flooded memory) and it frees the device by flushing the video memory and effectively closing the shell of Arma 2 but leaving the parent process in the background.

Normally when this happens you'd get an error of "device freed" or with DEP on or some other cases you may get a BSOD (in the case that Windows doesn't know why the GPU was trying to flush the memory and argued with it), but if Windows error reporting (or nVidia/ATi error reporting) disabled you'd just get a flush with no error report as to why it happened.

As for fixing it, not really sure. You can install the latest Directx 9 build (even if you're using Vista/Win 7), you can use the flush command occasionally (Left Shift+ -(minus) on the keypad, then type "flush" without the quotes), you could also try to tweak some video settings;

Disable Physx

Disable Ambient Occlusion

Turn error reporting on

Set to multiple display performance mode

Set to Performance mode (over quality mode)

I'm getting this performance problem as well, and I'm on a 1GB HD4870.

;1423392']Yes' date=' that was my thought too and I have nothing running that isnt essential. Stooped apps from Programs Startup to regedit hklm ....run and local user ... run.

Still closes unexpectedly quite regularly.

I run arma in windowed mode.

This machine only does gaming ArmA 2 and Lockon.. no emails. Antivirus/Antispyware isnt even installed.

i7 @ 3.7

2 x gtx 285's

Rampage 2 Extreme

xp pro

OFF TOPIC

Did you use Win update?

If you did... you may have a virus...

Using winupdate without a firewall is a big no no!

Just an advice!

@Bulldogs.... very interesting information mate !

Running win7 here in windowed mode. Will try some of the things you suggest and get back to you.

A really interesting problem this !

Well I solved this issue by installing EVGA precision and setting my fan to %100 before I play. Default was at %40 and I think it was getting just a little to hot.