Sign in to follow this  
Bellum

OS Performance Survey

What type of performance do you have on which OS?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What type of performance do you have on which OS?

• Windows XP, good performance
    • Windows XP, bad performance
    • Windows Vista, good performance
    • Windows Vista, bad performance
    • Windows 7 RC, good performance
    • Windoes 7 RC, bad performance

I want this thread to serve the purpose of determining what Operating System you have and what type of performance you get from ArmA 2 on said OS.

Good and bad is subjective. I voted good because I haven't got any huge issues that others seem to have (namely those with a GTX 295) but 20 frames is horrible for a first-person shooter...

Good and bad is subjective. I voted good because I haven't got any huge issues that others seem to have (namely those with a GTX 295) but 20 frames is horrible for a first-person shooter...

Performance is related to framerates.

The Good, The Bad and the damn frame hickups...

I'm running acceptable performance with Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

But this is so subjective that it's hard to have a conclusive result on this poll.

I want this thread to serve the purpose of determining what Operating System you have and what type of performance you get from ArmA 2 on said OS.

Sry, but useless poll - what exactly is "type of performance"? Without a rating this is merely based on "feeling" which makes this poll invalid and useless.

There are so much variables unconcidered. You dont get anything from a "How do you feel with your OS"-Poll!

I automatically related performance to fps, but maybe there should be a definition for those who misunderstand, or over analyze.

Btw, running e7300 (@ 3.5ghz) and a 9800gt, my performance with 1.02 was higher in xp over vista and much higher in win 7. With patch 1.03 my performance is higher than vista in win xp and lower than vista in win 7 (only slightly)

Performance is related to framerates.

Yeah but what is good? I am perfectly happy with 25 stable, other people want at least 40, 60 or 250. :p

This poll wasn't thought through properly.

If I have a 4XAGP graphics card and a single core CPU, the games performance problems can safely be said to NOT be due to my OS.

Conversely, I can have the best hardware currently available to man which could make this game run great irrespective of my OS.

A better poll is:

Is ArmA2 performance on your computer:

1) Excellent

2) Good

3) Bad

4) Terrible

Hopefully statistically these results would subdue any outliers such as:

a) Users running this game on a computer below minimum specifications

b) Users running this game on a computer with no problems

...however...

...given that I and a large majority of others have equal to and above recommended, NOT minimum, specifications and the game runs like crap...

This poll wasn't thought through properly.

If I have a 4XAGP graphics card and a single core CPU, the games performance problems can safely be said to NOT be due to my OS.

Conversely, I can have the best hardware currently available to man which could make this game run great irrespective of my OS.

A better poll is:

Is ArmA2 performance on your computer:

1) Excellent

2) Good

3) Bad

4) Terrible

Hopefully statistically these results would subdue any outliers such as:

a) Users running this game on a computer below minimum specifications

b) Users running this game on a computer with no problems

...however...

...given that I and a large majority of others have equal to and above recommended, NOT minimum, specifications and the game runs like crap...

Start your own pole...

My kit runs the game great.

XP64 is still my best OS with my ATI cards.

Vista64 is ok

RC764... is ok (i dont even boot into anymore. tho i guess i will on the next Driver release by ATI.)

The purpose of this poll is to see how people's performance is on different operating systems. It's not very accurate, but perhapse a poll asking for people to supply their performance on different O/S's, but only if they've tested on more than 1. It should also ask to post hardware, which is going outside the scope of a poll.

I think it'd be better suited to remove the poll and just ask people to post their specs and performance they got on each O/S they tested on.

Asking only what their performance is has nothing to do with this thread as the aim of the thread is to compare performance on different operating systems.

Asking only what their performance is has nothing to do with this thread as the aim of the thread is to compare performance on different operating systems.

Using the logic behind this poll, we could establish a correlation between the colour of people's underwear, and the performance of ArmA 2... :whistle:

I was going to describe why this poll makes no sense, but some people have already done an excellent job of that already, and it's kinda self-evident really.

The best thing to do here would be to have a poll for the people who have tested it across all three (there are a few people who have done that) as really they are the only people who can answer this issue.

Edited by echo1

The best thing to do here would be to have a pole for the people who have tested it across all three (there are a few people who have done that) as really they are the only people who can answer this issue.

Like me, but it is still useless because I can only make one choice.

XP64>Vista & Win7, by about 10fps

Well then, vote for XP64 with good performance I guess.

Tests have proven that this game runs best under XP. Vista and Win7 perform about the same.

Windows 7 RC 7100 64bit performs the best for me. I used to Have Vista 64bit.

I have tested the following

Win XP 32bit Great Performance

Win XP 64bit Stuttering

Windows Vista 32bit Stuttering

Windows Vista 64bit Low Performance

Windows Server 2003 32bit Great Performance

Windows Server 2003 64bit Lower Performance

Windows 7 RTM 32bit Great Performance

Windows 7 RTM 64bit Stuttering

But with all tests I still random CTD no matter what and the higher the res I run on my GTX 280 the faster it CTD usually at 1600x1200 its 1.5hrs 1280x1024 its around 2hrs. All settings are at normal and the crashes usually end with out of memory or no error at all just the me staring at the desktop

Sounds like I should get my copy of Win7 RTM onto my PC... Shame that there seems to be such a discrepancy between 32bit and 64bit.