R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

I have a few questions about various problems I have had with arma. I absolutely love the game, and want to submerge myself in it a little deeper. The problem is, I have yet to get it to run properly. Sometimes Arma runs great, and other times it crashes. I played last night for four hours without any problems. I went to play today and it crashed within five minutes. It just says program stopped working. It locks up my mouse and I have to go to task manager. First off I bought reinforcements, but I found out that I needed arma 2 for the more expansive multiplayer modes. This forced me to buy combined ops from sprocket. So I uninstalled reinforcements and installed the sprocket version of combined ops. System = intel ® core (im) i3 cpu 530@2.93 GHz. Installed Memory (ram) 2.00GB. 64 bit. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Primary monitor resolution 1176/664. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Is it the Sprocket version? Should I just install sprocket Arma 2 and then reinforcements to arma 2 directory? Will that still permit me to play on servers running lite versions? Is there something I need to do to optimize? I really need some help. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried synthetic stability tests, like memtest, prime95, or maybe something that uses gpu as well, like unique heaven. If unique heaven can run for 12 hours without probs I'd say its not the system.

Also, getting a bit more ram will probably help with everything you do on your pc. Ram is dirt cheap, so why not get 4 or 8 GB extra?

Have you tried synthetic stability tests, like memtest, prime95, or maybe something that uses gpu as well, like unique heaven. If unique heaven can run for 12 hours without probs I'd say its not the system.

Also, getting a bit more ram will probably help with everything you do on your pc. Ram is dirt cheap, so why not get 4 or 8 GB extra?

That's good advice except that it's DDR-3 that's dirt cheap now, not the DDR-2 that he's got. Which is a shame because a RAM disk seems to be one of the most cost-effective ways of improving performance...

In the meantime, try these tried and tested tweaks.

I've found out that if i look at trail smoke from veichles i get low fps. In almost any other case its above 40 fps.

Might this be GPU issue?

My system:

intel i7 960

gtx 560 ti

24 gig ram

win 7 64

SSD 120 gig

That's good advice except that it's DDR-3 that's dirt cheap now, not the DDR-2 that he's got. Which is a shame because a RAM disk seems to be one of the most cost-effective ways of improving performance...

In the meantime, try these tried and tested tweaks.

He has a core i3, hence ddr3

I've found out that if i look at trail smoke from veichles i get low fps. In almost any other case its above 40 fps. Might this be GPU issue?

No I doubt it. The particles in OA are sometimes very taxing.

Try these settings to reduce the load while keeping the game looking good.

He has a core i3, hence ddr3

You're right; my bad (I got Vancer's post mixed up with Nicholas').

:j:

Edited by domokun

I'm having troubles with Scope Lag and Binocular lag. I noticed whenever I look into the sky or at my feet, since no objects are rendering or loading into memory... I get 60+ fps... and then when I look at the grass and vegetation or trees even from a long ways away... I drop from 60FPS to 15-20FPS Instantly. I have a good computer, maybe not the newest but it works. Whenever I use scopes, I get FPS drop then even worse. More like 15 or less FPS and it becomes too hard to fire at moving or walking or even standing targets.

I may be getting replacement hardware soon... but here are my specifications...

{Computer Specifications}

Motherboard: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe, AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI AMD Motherboard, AM3/AM2+/AM2.

Powersupply\Unit: Corsair - Enthusiast Series 850-Watt ATX/EPS CPU Power Supply

Graphics Card: AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5

CPU Processor: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition clk @3.4ghz, Water Cooled, AM3 Socket, and Deneb Edition.

Memory\Ram: Corsair DDR2 8gb clocked at 800mhz, standard clocking.

Harddrives: Four 500gb Hardrives rigged, some are a little old...

Cooling\Ventilation: One 24 inch Fan, Two 12inch fans, CPU Watercooling with Radiator... synchronized to two more 12 inch fans

Monitor: HP supporting 1440x900 Resolution MAX.

Keyboard&Mouse: Microsoft keyboard, Razor DeathAdder Mouse @3500dpi

Accessories: Trackir5 Head Tracking unit, Logitech Webcam, Two speakers and Bass modifier

I am thinking of replacing my CPU, Computer Case, Motherboard and Memory soon.

I plan on getting a i7-2700k, CoolerMaster case, Intel MB and 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz... let me know what you think the FPS will be! :)

I am mainly concerned about the ability for my Computer to process vegetation, leaves, tracers, sound effects and AI much much better. I played BF2 days ago, and I went into a field of Grain and I lagged to death so that is proof that something is not working out right.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

I'm having troubles with Scope Lag and Binocular lag. I noticed whenever I look into the sky or at my feet, since no objects are rendering or loading into memory... I get 60+ fps... and then when I look at the grass and vegetation or trees even from a long ways away... I drop from 60FPS to 15-20FPS Instantly. I have a good computer, maybe not the newest but it works. Whenever I use scopes, I get FPS drop then even worse. More like 15 or less FPS and it becomes too hard to fire at moving or walking or even standing targets.

I may be getting replacement hardware soon... but here are my specifications...

Do you have AA on turning it off helped me. It seem's to be some AMD card bug.

Hello , I have searched this forum for solutions , butI'm not computer wise enough to implement some of the solutions, so could you please help?

Here is my problem I played through the Arma 2 campaign without a single crash then I got AO and BAf , installed OFrP mod (and the required addons), did that according to whole the tutorials and stuff.

It runs fine. but everytime I play after a short while or after a reload (after dying for example) or looking at the map it CTDs, sometimes even on intro.

my set up is:

Windows XP

Intel core 2 Dual CPu E8500 3.16Ghz

2046Mb Ram memory

Nvidia Ge Force 9600gt

drivers version : 6.14.0012.8558 (08/10/2011)

screen resolution 1680X1050

Solutions I tried: turning off the Phys X by asking it to use the CPu instead of the graphic card.

applying all the settings mentioned here

I assume my issues are with ArmaII: AO since in Arma 2 vanilla I have 0 issues in single or multiplayer.

Do you have AA on turning it off helped me. It seem's to be some AMD card bug.

It doesn't help but like 2 FPS, I've got no idea WHAT the problem is... my computer acts like vegetation is impossible to render without dropping 40FPS or something...

ok second attempt at sending this message...

I have played through Arma 2 with no issue (single and Mp) bu since I installed OA and BAF (through Steam like Arma 2) and added OFRP mod (ad its required mods)I have experienced CTDs.

Here are my specs:

Windows XP

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 1200MB used, 4258MB available

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver Version: 6.14.0012.8558 (08/10/2011)

Solutions I have tried: some the settings that are advised earlier in this thread, including changing AtOc=0 in the cfg files.

I switched physX off by telling it to use the CPu instead of graphic card (since there isn't an off option).

I'm not very computer wise so despite using the search button extensively I still can't figure what to try out.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't help but like 2 FPS, I've got no idea WHAT the problem is... my computer acts like vegetation is impossible to render without dropping 40FPS or something...

Did you try the settings mentioned by gotrek?

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

ok second attempt at sending this message...

I have played through Arma 2 with no issue (single and Mp) bu since I installed OA and BAF (through Steam like Arma 2) and added OFRP mod (ad its required mods)I have experienced CTDs.

Solutions I have tried: some the settings that are advised earlier in this thread, including changing AtOc=0 in the cfg files.

I switched physX off by telling it to use the CPu instead of graphic card (since there isn't an off option).

I'm not very computer wise so despite using the search button extensively I still can't figure what to try out.

AFAIK the OFRP mod suffers from a few bugs, so before blaming OA try running without mods, e.g. BAF.

Also your GPU looks weak compared to your resolution (1680x1050), so don't expect any miracles in performance.

However you could try overclocking your E8500. I've managed to overclock my E8400 to 4GHz and it makes a BIG difference.

How do I overclock it?

Should I decrease resolution?

And thanks for answering me. :)

Did you try the settings mentioned by gotrek?

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

AFAIK the OFRP mod suffers from a few bugs, so before blaming OA try running without mods, e.g. BAF.

Also your GPU looks weak compared to your resolution (1680x1050), so don't expect any miracles in performance.

However you could try overclocking your E8500. I've managed to overclock my E8400 to 4GHz and it makes a BIG difference.

Yeah, I'm using the proper mods etc... but it never made a difference for me...

Yeah, I'm using the proper mods etc... but it never made a difference for me...

OK there must be a problem then because you've got a powerful rig and your resolution seems reasonable.

What video settings are you using?

It's not to criticize OA, but since the beta patch 88850 all OFrP bugs and crash have disappeared. So try it !

thanks, will do, I assume you mean 88850 and upwards, great mod by the way !

Hi all I need somehelp. I just spent 1800 bucks on a new gaming system designed for Arma2/Arma3. So I do not have performance issues I get a stable 60fps in arma2 on the highest settings. My problem is something I do not understand at all. In multiplayer the enemy and friendly troops and vehicles warp like they have 5 or 10 fps. They warp so bad it is impossible for me to hit or take out moving vehicles or troops and that makes the game almost unplayable and at minimum no fun at all.

I find it hard to believe its my hardware because I dont see this in the singleplayer or the bootcamp. Now the strange thing is my internet connection is good enough. I did a speedtest yesterday and I have 30mb download and 4 mb upload. Good enough right? However its a connection throught the wall socket, could that be it? I connect to servers with a ping lower of 50 and I have a genuine full copy of arma2 patched to the latest version. This warping happens on very low and very high graphical settings.

Can anyone help me with this? Ive been looking forward to playing this game for so long now and its sort of really frustrating its no good now. Specs: i72600k, Sapphire HD 7970, 16gb ram and I run the game from a SSD. I tried disabling MT btw did not help. My monitor has a response time of 5ms so I doubt that's it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Taz77

If its MP, I may be wrong, but this could be a couple of things. Firstly your connection, wether its to your router and your having packet loss, or high levels of deysnc and high ping. Warping and slidding is caused by problems with your connection or the server your on being overloaded and having low server side FPS. Your speed could be excellent, but it all depends on your ISP's routing to the server your connecting. Along with this dependent on the map, the connection of other players *if its no AI warping* and how full the server is could all be issues.

If its MP, I may be wrong, but this could be a couple of things. Firstly your connection, wether its to your router and your having packet loss, or high levels of deysnc and high ping. Warping and slidding is caused by problems with your connection or the server your on being overloaded and having low server side FPS. Your speed could be excellent, but it all depends on your ISP's routing to the server your connecting. Along with this dependent on the map, the connection of other players *if its no AI warping* and how full the server is could all be issues.

Thanks for helping. I thought of all this too but I cannot really pinpoint the problem. I only join servers that I judge as dedicated and with a ping of 50 or less. What are the best things I can do on my side? Im just gonna spend some time reading loads of tweaks. But if you have some good ones you know of please tell me because I have to try it all. cheers.

Hi thanks for your help. Yeh I thought about all this too but it's hard to pinpoint. My connection is good because the speedtest gives me a 30mb download rate which is enough. I only join servers that I judge as dedicated and servers where I ping lower than like 50 or 75. Im gonna try as much tweaks as possible and see if I can get the game run the right way. With solid 50-60 fps I can exclude my hardware from being the problem. Do you know of anything I could do? Cheers.

Check my rig in my signature. I was not able to play arma 2 on very high, had to set object details to normal or low, cause i laged alot with it. Now i'm able to play arma 2 on very high, with min 30 fps in forest areas, and 40-50 cities/outside in fields.

What i did: fresh windows 7 x64 reinstall, windows update right after install, reboot. After that, installed all latest drivers for my motherboard/GPU/soundcard. Reboot - amd vision centre - GPU overdrive - gpu power to +20%, abit overclock to 945mhz without voltage increase. Litle bit d3 settings tweak. Catalyst A.I very high, AF 16x etc. Now started arma 2, and was lucky to play arma 2 on very high again!

If someone expecting bad performance, even he has good pc - try all i did, it might help. Don't forget to backup all your important documents before u reinstall windows ofcourse ;)

I hope it will help anybody so it did to me!

Did anyone try benchmarking the game with different RAM speeds and timings?

I am thinking of upgrading my DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1866

If it isn't my GPU/CPU/Disk all is left is RAM right?

I tried running ArmA 2 OA on 3 cores on my 2500k it ran with the same performance as with 4 cores @ 4.4ghz speed :/

I now have two sticks of DDR3-1333 CL9

I'm not completely sure for the purposes of ArmA2/OA, but from what I've seen of RAM benchmarks the difference between 1333 and 1600 or even 1866 is very minimal. I am guessing you would not see much difference at all.

How much RAM do you have total?

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

Thanks for helping. I thought of all this too but I cannot really pinpoint the problem. I only join servers that I judge as dedicated and with a ping of 50 or less. What are the best things I can do on my side? Im just gonna spend some time reading loads of tweaks. But if you have some good ones you know of please tell me because I have to try it all. cheers.

As My_Shortcoming said, warping is almost solely a server bandwidth related issue. And with 1.60, there should be very little if any actual "warping", it's more of a "sliding" now with the new interpolation methods.

It might help if we knew more about the servers you play on and if you've tried any different ones, i.e. if it happens all the time or just on some servers. Also, what is your internet connection speed/type?

I'm not completely sure for the purposes of ArmA2/OA, but from what I've seen of RAM benchmarks the difference between 1333 and 1600 or even 1866 is very minimal. I am guessing you would not see much difference at all.

How much RAM do you have total?

I have 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 modules = 8GB RAM

I am very sure I am not bottlenecked by my hard drive. 10MB/s doesn't create a bottleneck on a 7200RPM drive.

Since everyone is using custom memory allocators I was just thinking memory modules may cause a difference.

But has anyone every benchmarked ArmA 2 on different memory speeds? No because nobody thought of it. They did however benchmark every memory allocator for every beta.

Maybe I need Quad Channel memory (all slots filled)

I am saving up for 32GB RAM. This may be overkill. But I need it anyway for virtualization software.

Maverick you may be able to underclock your RAM to 1333 and test at those speeds as well. If you are willing to do that.

Do 5 runs of the benchmark to make sure everything is loaded so we have the least possible slowdowns of your hard drive.

I will test different latencies as soon as I have my new BIOS chip for my bricked motherboard.

instead of overclocking your ram, you could lower the timings, i have changed from 9-9-9-24 to 8-7-8-21, and got +0.1-0.2 points in windows 7 bench thingy. Works fine with standard 1.5 volts.