R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

could you be more specific? some settings are pretty heavy, so we'll need to know all of them.

and what are your results in the benchmark 1 and e08 benchmark scenario?

I used to have that same processor at stock speeds 2.6GHz and I was able to play ArmA II just fine.

What would you call a "low FPS"? Can you tell us exactly what your average fps is? 30 fps?

if you run the benchmark missions (singleplayer scenarios) you get the average at the end

otherwise use msi afterburner,fraps or some other tool.

Im palying multiplayer, I checked and it moves around 20 fps most of the time, i just checked on a DayZ server, running on green field, I was getting 7 fps, on low specs.

about my specs so ill just give u a screen shot.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8059/arma2oa2012052305211049.png

its wierd bc as far as the game requirements say, I should run this game smoothly, maxed out. can it be problem with my low Ram?

boomdan: your CPU and GPU are fairly average so do not expect to play the "game smoothly, maxed out".

To start with I'd make the following changes:

Tex detail: Low -> Normal

AF: Low -> Normal

AA: Low -> Disabled

Terrain: Low -> Normal

Objects: Very Low -> Normal

Shadow: Disabled -> High

PP: Low -> Very Low

This should make the game look better with little or no impact on performance

Try these tried and tested tweaks to get the game running smoothly.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by domokun

Is running the game with Windows XP SP2 compatible will make my performance increasing ? Iam using Vista SP2 and already run the game as administrator.

Im palying multiplayer, I checked and it moves around 20 fps most of the time, i just checked on a DayZ server, running on green field, I was getting 7 fps, on low specs.

about my specs so ill just give u a screen shot.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8059/arma2oa2012052305211049.png

its wierd bc as far as the game requirements say, I should run this game smoothly, maxed out. can it be problem with my low Ram?

try dokomun's settings, and mods if they're allowed online (some servers wont allow them unfortunately).

anti-aliasing off will probably be your largest boost, at least outside the towns (aa+trees is a lot of gpu work)

AMD FX 8150 (8 cores 3.8GHZ)

ATI 6970

Windows 7 and XP (two different PCs with the exact same hardware)

8Gigs DDR3 1600MHZ ram, nowhere near the maximum used

Arma2 and OA both on an SSD

Everything on lowest settings

There are no bottlenecks. GPU usage ~20-30%, each core on the CPU doesn't pass 50% usage.

Benchmark: ~100FPS

Benchmark1: ~89-98FPS (98FPS after trying every combination of optimization advice)

Benchmark2: ~20FPS. Can't be arsed running this all the way.

In cities (Chern) I get ~20-30 FPS, needless to say I'm upset, both GPU and CPU show low usage (see above).

Latest beta patch (though this is irrelevant, the patch only increased my FPS by 1)

Hello Everyone.

Let's cut to the chase. My pc was built for gaming, and Arma II gives me lag on any setting, high or low.

My Benchmark:

34287 frames, 38 FPS, 72°C

FPS: min:36, max:40, avg:38 - OPTIONS: DynBkg

Stuff you should know about my computer:

• I do not have a heatsinked cpu cooler
  • I have the steam version of Arma II, is there any way I can check for updates?
  • My game sometimes get's frozen 2 times, then I have to CTRL+ALT+Delete.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair CAFA70 61.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.37 @ Mac Connection)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Rosewill 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Monitor: Hannspree HF225DPB 21.5" Monitor ($135.74 @ Mwave)

Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($10.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $760.02

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-23 16:10 EDT-0400)

I would make sure your cpu isn't overheating, and your hard drive is not fragmented.

Steam automatically updates.

AMD FX 8150 (8 cores 3.8GHZ)

ATI 6970

Windows 7 and XP (two different PCs with the exact same hardware)

8Gigs DDR3 1600MHZ ram, nowhere near the maximum used

Arma2 and OA both on an SSD

Everything on lowest settings

There are no bottlenecks. GPU usage ~20-30%, each core on the CPU doesn't pass 50% usage.

Benchmark1: ~89-98FPS (98FPS after trying every combination of optimization advice)

In cities (Chern) I get ~20-30 FPS, needless to say I'm upset, both GPU and CPU show low usage (see above).

Latest beta patch (though this is irrelevant, the patch only increased my FPS by 1)

this is normal, arma scales well to 3 cores, above quad there's no real gain. because your cpu has "terrible" performance per core (read reviews, a phenom II outperforms it) I'm afraid you have a huge cpu bottleneck. there's some mods you can try, should be links in this topic. "proper" mods.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I do not have a heatsinked cpu cooler

no heatsink? might want to get one before you have a cpu meltdown.

no heatsink? might want to get one before you have a cpu meltdown.

I have the cooler that came with the CPU, but I also bought another cpu cooler (which I listed)

Hopefully I am overheating (well not hopefully) and see if that caused the lag. I'll update when I fix it, thanks :)

instability is usually either

issue in the gpu driver (try another one)

or

defective memory (run prime 95 blend test or hci memtest for some time)

small chance of defective gpu too.

Edited by Leon86

this is normal, arma scales well to 3 cores, above quad there's no real gain. because your cpu has "terrible" performance per core (read reviews, a phenom II outperforms it) I'm afraid you have a huge cpu bottleneck. there's some mods you can try, should be links in this topic. "proper" mods.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Yeah, no, ArmaII is actively four cores, two of them under half used and two of them ~2/3 used. They aren't maxed at all. Mods such as GDT mod grass, PVT, sap_clutter don't have any performance gain.

what result do you get when you run the benchmark missions (bench 1 and e08 are most relevant, bench 2 is crazy and always cpu limited)

what result do you get when you run the benchmark missions (bench 1 and e08 are most relevant, bench 2 is crazy and always cpu limited)

If you're talking to me, I already posted these results.

I overclocked my processor up 600MHz (800MHz when it needs to, but apparently it never needs to on ArmA), I did Benchmark1 again and got 95FPS. No difference, cores as always aren't maxed.

well, 90 fps seems playable to me. cherno is pretty crazy and if all buildings are in view the fps is terrible on any system

I get only 35 fps if I'm on the first floor of the construction site, looking at the city. running trough cherno it fluctuates between 40 and 60.

Edited by Leon86

well, 90 fps seems playable to me. cherno is pretty crazy and if all buildings are in view the fps is terrible on any system

I get only 35 fps if I'm on the first floor of the construction site, looking at the city. running trough cherno it fluctuates between 40 and 60.

No, if you read my initial post I said that in cherno I get about what you get, 30FPS.

well, it depends a lot on settings too.

quoting myself from another topic, it has a screen you can use to compare

I made a screenshot of em.

this spot (cherno construction site, first floor watching cherno) is particularly heavy on the cpu because a lot of cherno is in view, if I move view from left to right the lowest fps I see is about 35. If I put a few squads of marines in cherno running around it still stays above 30.

chernogorsk is so heavy the viewdistance only has limited influence if you are on this particular spot, the buildings just dominate the cpu load.

31.5 fps with 2000m vd

29.5 fps with 3000m vd

I put the object detail so high to prevent annoying lod changes. hdr is high because of dayz.

average fps in the city is higher btw, this is just my attempt to find a CPU limited spot so you can compare easily to your current hardware.

last week I was playing dayZ and someone showed up with a helo while I was in elektro hospital, my fps was terrible, didnt have a counter on but I guess it was 15. even an i5 750 on 4.0 doesnt cut it sometimes I guess, but it's been running well in my other dayz sessions.

on minimum settings (although still 1920x960 res) I get 85-120 fps in cherno, and 80 fps on that particular building.

Edited by Leon86

Hey everyone,

I recently bought the game and I'm having issues with choppiness and framerate. I'm not really sure what the problem is (beyond the fact that my computer is showing its age) so any help would be appreciated.

My Specs:

Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.16 GHz

HD 4850 512 MB

2 GB RAM

Win 7

on those specs you have to run near minimum and still get low-ish fps sometimes, mostly in cities as the cpu really cant cope.

okay guys, the game works better now with anti allaising off, however, i really wanna play this game smoothly and on good settings...

what do i have to change and details to buy so i can play it better?

Win 7

3 GB Ram

QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3127 MHz

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7025-630a

GeForce GTX 460 (1024 MB)

okay guys, the game works better now with anti allaising off, however, i really wanna play this game smoothly and on good settings...

what do i have to change and details to buy so i can play it better?

Win 7

3 GB Ram

QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3127 MHz

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7025-630a

GeForce GTX 460 (1024 MB)

if you want to play smooth on high settings you should buy an i5-2500K, Z77 mobo, 8GB ram, overclock it like mad and get a gtx670.

If you dont want to spend, overclock that cpu to 3.8 or 4 Ghz, that should help in towns and helps with model detail and viewdistance. You could get a new gpu like the 7850 but that will not help you in the big cities.

Regarding my issue, I had a 2GB video card. That's why I was lagging. If you have a 2GB video card, set your video memory to VERY HIGH!

I really hope I fixed it, so far so good :)!!!!