Sign in to follow this  
Bellum

Another performance thread

So it's been over 2 months since Arma 2 came out and I am coming back to the forums to see if this issue has been resolved yet. Yes I have used the search function and browsed through various threads new and old regarding the topic.

Should I just buy an older video card in order to play this game?

I have a GTX 260 and I can't get more than 30 fps in the middle of nowhere and like 10 in the cities, still. No better or worse using every single suggestion given to me from this forum and other sources to date. It appears to get better when I turn off grass and vegetation definitely but that doesn't help in cities.

I have friends I play with that have 8800's and 9800's and get perfect 50+fps performance everywhere. So my question is should I just purchase an older video card and swap them out every time I want to play this game? Is that what I have to do? Or is there an ultimate fix for this yet. Inb4 flame.

Complete specs.

Complete settings.

Without them it's impossible to say anything.

Asus M2N-SLI Mobo

2.4Ghz AMD Dual-core CPU

Corsair 4096 (2 x 2048Mb Dual-channel) DDR2 RAM

EVGA GTX 260 192 Core Superclocked 896Mb

Windows 7 RC 64 Bit

It doesn't make a bit of difference whether I turn settings on very high or very low so I just leave them on all high.

2ldcdih.png

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Complete specs.

Complete settings.

Without them it's impossible to say anything.

Hello.

Edited by Bellum

I feel your pain dude, happened to me when i first started with the game however now my fps doesnt seem capped, it shoots upto 60fps in mp even with 30 plus players on!

BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT I DID TO FIX THIS!

The point i am trying to get at is dont give up tweaking and testing different things thats what i did and it has payed!

There does seem to be a issue with the 200 series cards compared to the older generations and i dont know why

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.0 Ghz

BFG Tech GTX 285 OC to core 678MHz. . mem 1249MHz

Asus P5N-D 750i

4 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS 800

EZ COOL 700W psu

Maxtor HDD

Windows Vista 64bit

don't think I've seen anyone get over 30 fps with a dual core 2.4ghz, at least I couldn't til I overclocked. That said, running at 3.5ghz now with a 9800 and I get 26fps in campaign, but after 1.03 that's very playable, although I get about 35 fps in editor missions

Try other Resolutions with other fillrates ... your resolution seems ... unnormal^^

It's your CPU, this game demolishes the CPU like no other (except maybe GTA IV). I've even seen people with i7's who have bad performance. The only ones who can fix this are BIS.

Uh... aren't we forgetting a 5km view distance? The default is 1.6km IIRC.

You're running almost everything on Very High and your View Distance is way up. Try going down to "High", disable PostFX and set View Distance to 2400.

You're CPU (or rather the speed) is a limiting factor.

For me who also have modest hardware, patch v1.03 made the game a lot smoother and quite playable at 30-40 fps.

Uh... aren't we forgetting a 5km view distance? The default is 1.6km IIRC.

No, in 99% of scenarios I play online the scenario has a default view distance and you can sometimes set it to what you like within the scenario. Also as I have said I tried editing all the settings including the viewdistance.

Just wait for ofp2, only 5-6 weeks before it's due out. I was looking at the latest video on ign and it looks awesome, it looks like they have put everything into this game. They say all the sounds and weapons are accurate and they back up there claims with video footage. :yay::yay:

Erm, i used to have almsot the same rig with m2n sli mobo + amdx2 5600+ + gtx260 and i had to change the cpu+mobo to what ive sigged. Now the game runs perfectly 1600x1050 although i dont use setting as high as yours. You should really drop that viewdistance - its a cpu killer

which way is better, lowering interface resolution and keep 3d at 100% or keep native interface resolution and lower 3d resolution?

Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed the problem by installing XP Pro 32 bit.

Before I had Windows 7 64 bit.

I get more than 30 fps in cities with max grass and vegetation on clean install now.

Same in-game video settings.

Possibly was a driver related issue.

Good to hear.

Gotta remember that regardless of build, windows 7 is still in beta until it's officially released

No, in 99% of scenarios I play online the scenario has a default view distance and you can sometimes set it to what you like within the scenario. Also as I have said I tried editing all the settings including the viewdistance.

LOL, you're aiming a bit high with those settings @ your hardware tbh. The more of these threads I see, the more I realise why so many people have problems and end up blaming the game.

Yesterday it was someone trying to run @ 10K view distance.

Eth

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Just wait for ofp2, only 5-6 weeks before it's due out. I was looking at the latest video on ign and it looks awesome, it looks like they have put everything into this game. They say all the sounds and weapons are accurate and they back up there claims with video footage. :yay::yay:

Still here I see (and offering nothing in the way of anything constructive as usual). Didn't you sell the game to a friend?

Eth

PS : OFP-DR looks like junk. It's a BF2 clone (which is probably right up your alley). Hopefully, when it releases, you'll finally go away (fingers crossed).

JFYI, this isn't the DR forum. If you want to tell everyone how great you think it will be, please follow the link.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Edited by BangTail

LOL, you're aiming a bit high with those settings @ your hardware tbh. The more of these threads I see, the more I realise why so many people have problems and end up blaming the game.

Yesterday it was someone trying to run @ 10K view distance.

Eth

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Still here I see (and offering nothing in the way of anything constructive as usual). Didn't you sell the game to a friend?

Eth

PS : OFP-DR looks like junk. It's a BF2 clone (which is probably right up your alley). Hopefully, when it releases, you'll finally go away (fingers crossed).

JFYI, this isn't the DR forum. If you want to tell everyone how great you think it will be, please follow the link.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

see:

Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed the problem by installing XP Pro 32 bit.

Before I had Windows 7 64 bit.

I get more than 30 fps in cities with max grass and vegetation on clean install now.

Same in-game video settings.

Possibly was a driver related issue.

/10 chars

see:

/10 chars

I saw that. I still think those settings are ambitious for that setup but if you're happy then it's all good.

XP ran the game better for me as well up until the last few beta patches. Now it's just as fast (if not faster) under Win 7.

Eth

Dude really, are you daft ? You can't compare these two games .

Person says:

"I like the colour blue, but my computer can't display this colour right"

Then you reply: "just wait 5 weeks, then the colour RED will come out!" :yay::yay:

^ :rolleyes:

Not that i'm not crapping on OFP2 , i'm sure it will be a great game. But in it's own genre.

I saw that. I still think those settings are ambitious for that setup but if you're happy then it's all good.

XP ran the game better for me as well up until the last few beta patches. Now it's just as fast (if not faster) under Win 7.

Eth

over 30... he sees a 34 at a peak but runs in the 20s, thats way to much for his setup, but some people can play with allot of different filters/rez and enjoy. I am inclined to think it runs like cottage cheese, not butter..

over 30... he sees a 34 at a peak but runs in the 20s, thats way to much for his setup, but some people can play with allot of different filters/rez and enjoy. I am inclined to think it runs like cottage cheese, not butter..

Yep, it's totally subjective. I've seen other people playing games at what I consider unnacceptable performance levels but they think it's fine.

As long as your happy is what I say :)

Eth