Sign in to follow this  
McArcher

Network and Sound problems. BIS, comment this please.

1) I'm unable to join in progress (JIP) nearly most of "Warfere BE" missions in internet. The 'downloading data' window (I don't know the exact text in ENG version, I'm using RUS game) hangs my game. It can last for many minutes until I disconnect. Sometimes it crashes Arma2 to desktop, and sometimes even says "Session Aborted" (or something like that).

2) Where are "Software/Hardware Sound Acceleration" and "EAX on/off" selection like in AA1 ? Are you going to add this feature in future?

3) With Audigy 4 (which fully hardware supports EAX, EAX2 and EAX3) and latest drivers from Creative, sound in game is of poor quality, with strange sounds, like clicks (like when you set too small latency in ASIO soundcards drivers) and other things.

4) Why does the game use broadband UDP outgoing connection in servres' list? My provider (one of the biggest ISPs in Moscow, Russia) bans computers with such outgoing connections (because it is very strange to begin starting so many simultaneous broadband connections, like viruses do), so I have to prohibit outgoing UDP 255.255.255.255 in firewall. People from my ISP said that your game is the problem, not their hardware.

1) This will happen if your router is blocking ICMPs or if, as you noted in point 4, your ISP is blocking part of your connection.

2) Goto "My Documents\Arma 2\Yourname.ArmA2Profile", edit that file and goto the line that says "soundEnableEAX=1", change that to "soundEnableEAX=0"

3) Make sure CMS is disabled (under Audigy Control Panel) and turn in game volume down (below 50%) then turn your speaker volume up.

4) All games use UDP as TCP uses too much bandwidth and having to acknowledge each packet would cause immense lag.

1) This will happen if your router is blocking ICMPs or if, as you noted in point 4, your ISP is blocking part of your connection.

2) Goto "My Documents\Arma 2\Yourname.ArmA2Profile", edit that file and goto the line that says "soundEnableEAX=1", change that to "soundEnableEAX=0"

3) Make sure CMS is disabled (under Audigy Control Panel) and turn in game volume down (below 50%) then turn your speaker volume up.

4) All games use UDP as TCP uses too much bandwidth and having to acknowledge each packet would cause immense lag.

There is no Hardware sound or EAX. Xaudio2 is a "software only" engine.

Changing those settings does nothing.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I can see neither "soundEnableEAX=0", nor "soundEnableEAX=1" there... should i add this line?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

There is no Hardware sound or EAX. Xaudio2 is a "software only" engine.Eth

Are the developers going to add hardware sound acceleration support to "realistic" simulator game? :D

bug on bug....

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

so , maybe I don't need any sound card to play A2 at all? just use AC97 codec? lol.....

I can see neither "soundEnableEAX=0", nor "soundEnableEAX=1" there... should i add this line?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Are the developers going to add hardware sound acceleration support to "realistic" simulator game? :D

bug on bug....

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

so , maybe I don't need any sound card to play A2 at all? just use AC97 codec? lol.....

It's not a bug. There is no hardware support. It's got nothing to do with what type of game it is. Vista/Win 7 have moved away from hardware sound acceleration.

Where can I test if my ICMPs are blocked? Are there any online checkers?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

It's not a bug. There is no hardware support. It's got nothing to do with what type of game it is. Vista/Win 7 have moved away from hardware sound acceleration.

Well, i know that, but there's also a magic tool like "Creative Alchemy" for Win7/Vista for enabling EAX.

Now I am using WinXP (32bit), in order not to add new OS's bugs to game bugs =)

Where can I test if my ICMPs are blocked? Are there any online checkers?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Well, i know that, but there's also a magic tool like "Creative Alchemy" for Win7/Vista for enabling EAX.

Now I am using WinXP (32bit), in order not to add new OS's bugs to game bugs =)

The game DOES NOT SUPPORT EAX or hardware acceleration. It's not OS specific. The Xaudio2 sound engine does NOT support EAX or hardware acceleration.

Eth

@McArcher have you had this issue for a while or is it new?

I have just started having the same problems with XP.

No major changes to cause it on my PC... so I am stumped...

@McArcher have you had this issue for a while or is it new?

Well, network problems with OFP, AA and now A2, I had long ago, and only ISP change solved them. Now I am using third ISP, and now I'm having network problems again.

What about sound...I had them in 1.02 also, but thought that game just needed patches, because I saw a "EAX" option in AA, and thought that A2 uses EAX too. But I had mistaken :(

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

btw, sound problems were even in old good OFP !!! it is the curse of all game series i think .. lol..... except maybe AA.....i havent played AA alot....

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

how can I check ICMPs online? are there any checkers like online port checkers?

Get someone to send a ping to you from a remote location, also check your router to see if it has an option to block external icmp. Make sure ports are open on the firewall too

Well, I tried to play even without a router...

I hang in 'downloading data' window, it slowly moves to the end and then I get a yellow chain icon in the corner of screen. After that I see a red chain and 'no data received for xx seconds' appears. Then I am disconnected from server. WITHOUT a router! Connected directly to ISP's ethernet cable!!! No firewalls on my PC!!! Firewall in user panel of my ISP (on the website of my ISP, in settings for me) is switched off for my computer! .... What and where can I open now? )))

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

btw, ping works fine even with router (incoming ICMP ping is set to "on"). without a router it works fine also of course...

seems like it was ISP's problem. I ordered "static IP" service, switched off ISP's firewall at their web-control panel (it was said that it blocked only FTP, SMTP, WEB ports and some 1xxx ports, no arma ports) and connected my PC directly to ISP's ethernet cable, and....

was able to connect to servers! amazing! maybe , they connect static-ip-users to VIP hardware?? very strange ISP....

Hmm, could be an issue with dynamic ip although I'm not sure how as the ip wouldn't change during connection