Sign in to follow this  
John Stalvern

patch 1.03: xdelta3 returned error code: 1

When I try to patch ARMA 2 I get this error no matter where I download the patch from:

Please be patient. This update may appear to take a long time to complete. It is updating and installing very large data.

ArmA 2: Updating version 1.01 to version 1.03...

Update 1.01-1.02\ADDONS\AIR2.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Some error occurred during patch installation.

Patch file is probably dammaged. You may need to download it again.

Error in file ADDONS\air2.pbo, phase 1.

Is there any official say on what causes this or any fix for it?

Assuming it's a legit copy, you'd need to reinstall the game to fix that problem. It's usually caused by the game's data files becoming corrupted somehow. Another solution would be to copy over the damaged file from the disc or some other source, but you have to make sure that they are from the same version that the game was before you tried to patch it. (ie. If you are on 1.02, and you're trying to patch to 1.03, copying over a file from either 1.03 or 1.01 will cause the patcher to stop working, as far as I remember anyway)

I get a similar error message. First started on the very first installation of the game, when I tried to update my patch from 1.02 to 1.03. The Patch itself actually froze at 65% or something and didn't go anywhere for 20 hours (yes, I left it that long).

Uninstalled, Deleted all related files and cleaned out ArmA 2 stuff in regedit, Defragged, and Reinstalled onto a separate hard drive. Tried to patch 1.01 to 1.02....that froze at 28% and stayed there, so I tried the 1.03 patch, and received this message:

ArmA 2: Updating version 1.01 to version 1.03...

Some error occurred during patch installation.

Patch file is probably dammaged. You may need to download it again.

Error in file cannot find xdelta3.exe, phase 5.

Regardless of where I "download it again" like the message suggests, the patch will not install correctly...this goes for patch 1.02 and 1.03, and has held true for each of the FIVE TIMES I HAVE REPEATED THIS PROCESS. There is something wrong here--I'm positive that it isn't my dvd drive or actual ArmA 2 DVD, or firmware/hardware issue.

I desperately need help on figuring out how to prevent patches freezing at random times and never completing.

An update from my previous post:

Tried the whole process again today, installed the game, re-downloaded patch 1.01 to 1.02.

Disabled firewall, antivirus, antispyware, everything I could possibly do. Ran the patch, closed my eyes tight for about 10 minutes and then it happened--a bright light shone through my window and the patch applied successfully. I'm too scared to go through hell trying to get 1.03 to install again, so I'll stick with 1.02 until 1.04 comes out.