Sign in to follow this  
Slynxno1

Help needed please with Windows 7 and Arma 2

Can someone please offer a solution as I am at wits end trying to sort out the problem with my copy of Arma 2.

On start of the game it loads onto a black screen with audio only in the background and I can not get a picture. I can hear the start up music though. I did have windows XP on the system before when Arma 2 worked fine. I upgraded the system and now this game does not display at all, only audio. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance if your advice fixes my problem.

My PC as follow;

Pro: Intel core 2 quad CPU Q9400

RAM: 4 Gb

Sys: 32 Bit

Nvidia GTS 250

P.S. My other latest game DCS:Blackshark plays fine on this system as does GTA IV and Crysis and Battlestations Pacific?:nuts:?

If you go to guru3d and download driver sweeper, this I think, is key. Also make sure you're running Arma 2 v1.03.

What nvidia drivers are you using? I would suggest trying 190.38 available from nvidia.com.

Then take the following steps...

In windows 7, go into your program manager and remove your nvidia display drivers & phsyx drivers & stereoscopic 3d drivers if you have them.

Rebooted. Whilst your computer is booting, keep hitting the F5 key until you get a screen which lets you choose your OS come up - then press F8 for advanced. Select normal safe mode.

Once in safe mode, run driver cleaner, tick nvidia phsyx & nvidia display drivers and then click 'analyse'. Then click 'clean'.

Reboot and go into windows 7 normally. Then install the 190.38 drivers. Reboot normally again.

Then, try Arma 2 again. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks Shuurajou, I will let you know how I go, I am hoping!!!

Why use old drivers?

In my personal experience as a GTX 285 (GT 200 series) user I've had more issues with 190.62 than 190.38, and as the 190.38 are referenced in a sticky in the thread there's a better chance that BI are happy they work OK with the game. We can always try something else but it's a starting point.

Thanks Shuurajou, I will let you know how I go, I am hoping!!!

Didn't work, copied the steps you gave but alas, still audio with no video and a black screen! Oh....back to square one yet again. thanks for your input though.

What Windows 7 do you use?

I played on W7 x64 Ultimate RTM build 7600.16385 and it was quite ok (except game bugs of course). But i dont have nVidia cards, I use AMD/ATI's and latest Catalyst.

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Yes Karhis, and reloaded the patches as well, same result.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Hmmm... is the monitor powering off when you start it?

It doesn't, as soon as I alt+esc from the game it goes straight back to the desktop.

I do run the pc through a 32inch panasonic hdtv which is only 1 yr old.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

What Windows 7 do you use?

I played on W7 x64 Ultimate RTM build 7600.16385 and it was quite ok (except game bugs of course). But i dont have nVidia cards, I use AMD/ATI's and latest Catalyst.

The trial version x32 off the microsoft site.

Sounds like your monitor is being forced out of range when the game loads.

check what resolution/refresh is being applied by game v what your mon can handle.

if it is not compatible change the settings in your game config file

I'm with dogz, try changing the config file so it's driving out a lower resolution. TVs wont turn off like monitors when it goes out of range.

check your arma2.cfg file and see what resolution you have set there and that it matches your desktop.

I'm with dogz, try changing the config file so it's driving out a lower resolution. TVs wont turn off like monitors when it goes out of range.

Tried that, matched it as well as the refresh rate, no change, still no video. Could the DVD be possibly faulty you think? It did work before though! I am trying to think of a reason why this would not work now.

Cheers.

I had a similar problem happen on my friends computer with a different game. Closing the wmp.exe process (windows media player) fixed it, so try closing any unimportant processes