Sign in to follow this  
shuurajou

Blank Textures - GTX 285

Hi All,

Just logging a fault that unless you use the -winxp command with the latest 190 drivers (190.62 WHQL) I get blank textures. Also suffer with CTD occasionally.

I have used 2x8800 GTXs in SLI previously that don't have this issue with Arma 2 in this driver.

Specs are...

GFX: BFG GeForce GTX 285 OCX

Sound: X-Fi Fatal1ty

Mobo: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe (BIOS 1303)

CPU: Intel Woldfale E8400 Intel Core 2 Duo

Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120 (on the CPU)

Case: Cosmos S

Keyboard: Microsoft Natural 4000

Mouse: Razer Diamondback

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 PC-8500C5 @ 1066MHz

Display: Dell 2005FPW

PSU: Hiper Type M 880W

I do not believe this bug is related to 8gb of RAM, as when running with 2x 8800 GTXs in SLI, I had no blank texture bug with these drivers. Also, when using my GTX 285 with the 186 drivers, there was also no texture bug.

All components are at the stock speeds as provided to me by the manufacturers.

Edited by shuurajou

Haven't keept up to date, what does the -winxp switch do/why would you use that? I plan on the same card and OS, so curious.

Don't worry, it's not the card or the O/S. It's a well known issue caused by having 8GB of Ram.

-Winxp is a workaround to stop the texture problem til it gets fixed.

This shouldn't be an issue with 8gb of ram as I had 8gb of RAM with 2x 8800 GTXs in SLI and there was no blank textures. I also had no blank textures in the 186 drivers. I'll update my main post.

I believe winXP forces windows to use an alternate version of direct 3d, not a direct 3d ex which was developed purely for vista's sake.

Edited by shuurajou

I believe winXP forces windows to use an alternate version of direct 3d, not a direct 3d ex which was developed purely for vista's sake.

no. DX9 is DX9.

If you look at this MSDN documents you'll see that vista uses a slight varient with certain extentions etc Direct3dEX. If you use -winxp, I've read this could influence the usage of Direct3D 9ex

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219800(VS.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219837(VS.85).aspx

Interestingly according to the below thread it can influence vRAM usage.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=534709

Quoted from someone who knows more than me...

DirectX 9c is for XP. It was in XP Service Pack 2.

DirectX 9L was the development name of the transitional DirectX. The L stands for Longhorn, which was the development name for Vista. It is Vista only.

Direct 9Ex is the same thing as DirectX 9L. Direct 9Ex is the commercial name for DirectX 9L. It is a transitional API that allows access to the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), while at the same time maintaining compatibility for existing Direct3D applications. Direct 9Ex is used by Vista's Aero interface. Direct 9Ex is Vista only (as was DirectX 9L, since they are the same thing).

DirectX 10 is the new API that added features for Vista's new WDDM. It is not as compatible with older stuff as Direct 9Ex is. DirectX 10 is Vista only.

In summary, 9c is XP only. 9L, 9Ex, and 10 are Vista only.

And put simply by Wikipedia

In order to achieve backwards compatibility, DirectX in Windows Vista contains several versions of Direct3D:[20]

Direct3D 9: emulates Direct3D 9 behavior as it was on Windows XP. Details and advantages of Vista's Windows Display Driver Model are hidden from the application if WDDM drivers are installed. This is the only API available if there are only XP graphic drivers (XPDM) installed, after an upgrade to Vista for example.

Direct3D 9Ex (known internally during Windows Vista development as 9.0L or 9.L, the L standing for Vista's codename: Longhorn): allows full access to the new capabilities of WDDM (if WDDM drivers are installed) while maintaining compatibility for existing Direct3D applications. The Windows Aero user interface relies on D3D 9Ex.

Direct3D 10: Designed around the new driver model in Windows Vista and featuring a number of improvements to rendering capabilities and flexibility, including Shader Model 4.

Edited by shuurajou

Yep, the -winxp switch forces it to use Winxp directx. Right now there's a problem between having 8gb of ram and running Vista Direct 3D. It doesn't affect everyone but does effect a lot of people.

Search troubleshooting for "8gb ram", there's a few other fixes that help but the best is -winxp.

The thing is if the problem was Vista direct 3d and 8gb RAM why didn't I have the problem with 8800 GTXs, and why don't I have the problem with older drivers and my current card? There has to be more to it. I wish BIS would provide support here...

CTD is possible with the current patch, as i even get an occasional CTD.

as for blank textures all i can think of is, is ur graphics card getting enough air to keep it cool. is there dust in ur machine dust acts as an insulator for computers, nice way to burn it up.

just a thought to help out

Could someone explain the -winxp command line to me? I launch from Steam, do I need to create a desktop shortcut... then just add -winxp to the end of the command prompt? If so, I will try this tonight to see what happens with my performance.

Go into steam-> my games, right click on arma 2 then goto properties-> set launch options, then type -winxp in there.

Go into steam-> my games, right click on arma 2 then goto properties-> set launch options, then type -winxp in there.

Thank you much, sir.

Could someone explain the -winxp command line to me? I launch from Steam, do I need to create a desktop shortcut... then just add -winxp to the end of the command prompt? If so, I will try this tonight to see what happens with my performance.

for steam you have to open steam and right clcik the game under your game list and pick properties>set launch options. THis box is where you put your command line switches....

With 190.62 drivers I started getting a similar issue as the OP.

I had left the W7 Power Options set to recommended (as before 190.62), changing it to Performance cleared mine up, so I would believe mine was a heat related issue. (Though I liked the fan throttling that worked prior)

Mine would start the white/unfinished textures & game freeze within 15min of playing.