Sign in to follow this  
CarnivorFux

Known issues with HD4890

Hey guys, hope u enjoy A2, coz right now I cant play, but i hope for a

solution.

So, I just replaced my WC HD4850 with a WC HD4890, so far so good,

no problems with other games beside Arma2 -.-.

I already tried to start the game with different options, such as -splash,

-window, -winxp and so on, more than I can remember, as soon as I pass

the intro and enter the "pls wait - loading"-screen, my game crashes.

I even killed the config, reinstalled the games three times incl. patching.

I even reconfigured my hardware several times, over the last days.

Different drivers for the ati card and stuffs....everything that came

to my mind over the last days...I m out of options now.

So, anyone using a HD4890 and has the same problems/found a solution?

I dont wanna drop arma2 in my "special box" filled with BetOnSoldier and

Söldner and AmericasArmy3. -.-

seems arma bugs the ati drivers, as I just found: APPCRASH

tomorrow I gonna try out some more drivers.

Have you tried re-installing windows?

I'm using a Sapphire 4890 1GB with no troubles.

I use Catalyst 9.8 and have no such videocard problems with HD4890 and WinXP/XP64/Win7x64. I use only "-nosplash" to skip intros.

Try reinstalling blank OS (with formatting disk), using latest drivers and so on.

Maybe it is not videocard problem, mate ;)

If you get a BSOD, then maybe your PC is too overclocked?

I also use a 4890 (with the 9.8 drivers) and Windows 7.

Since patch 1.03 it is a lot more stable for me. And i certainly do not experience what you are experiencing.

@ ceeeb - I would say that re-installing the OS is a bit of a DRASTIC thing to do. But it may work.

Is your GFX card or processor overclocked? If they are, try clocking them down a bit. Also try going into you ATI panel and set the GFX card fan speed to something very high...at LEAST 50% fan speed. If your letting the software control the fan...this may be the problem, as it usually defaults to something VERY low. Also check you have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers installed (9.8 came out about 1 week ago)

...failing all this...it is entirely possible you have a faulty GFX card or some other hardware :(. But if all your other games are fine...this prob isn't the case.

Have you got an old gfx card you can test it on? Or failing that can you borrow one of a friend for 5 minutes to test. At least you can rule out the gfx card if you put a different one in and it doesnt crash anymore.

I would try reinstalling GFX drivers and reinstall the game BEFORE you try something as DRASTIC as re-installing the OS. And if your going to go the whole hog and install the OS again...grab yourself a copy of the 64bit Windows 7 RC. and install this.

I would also try playing with no mods loaded (if you currently run any) and also take all or any target line commands out of your ArmA2 shortcut. So it just reads something like:-

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe"

and not something like:-

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -nosplash -cpucount=4 -mod=@VopSound_2.1 -mod=@DFS_FPScounter

Also try testing this on ArmA2 1.01 (i.e. reinstall ArmA2 BUT DO NOT INSTALL ANY PATCHES)

I know it's a lot of work...to try all these solutions. But the only thing you can do is try to narrow it down by a process of elimination. I would DEF start with the GFX card though. DEF try a different card ENTIRELY if you can.

It would be helpful if you could list your specs too matey. it's hard to try and help people when we have no idea what specs you are running. Yes sure we know you have a 4890...but what about processor, OS, amount of RAM too. :)

Don't know what else to suggest...I hope you get it sorted out, if not hopefully patch 1.04 will address performance issues and magically fix it for you!

Edited by MarvinTheMartian