Sign in to follow this  
combat-agent

NVidia Graphics card and Arma 2

I just bought a graphics card and a new power supply because the people at best buy said it would work with Arma 2. $230 later and installing arma 2 the graphics are distorted. My question is will this NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 work with Arma 2 at all with any sort of patch, or do I need to make another trip to best buy? I downloaded the SLI profile patch or whatever, that didnt do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and Im running the demo, would running the full version maybe have any bearing on the situation? I just ordered it and havnt recieved it yet.

CPU

Recommended: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster

You Have: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor

PASS

CPU Speed

Recommended: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster

You Have: 2.41 GHz

RAM

Recommended: 2 GB

You Have: 8.0 GB

PASS

OS

Recommended: Windows XP or Vista

You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)

PASS

Video Card

Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

You Have: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card

Required You Have

Video RAM 512 MB 4.0 GB

Hardware T&L Yes Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

Nice system, I have basically the same stuff somewhat...here are my pc specs

CPU

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-core Processor 2.20ghz.

RAM

6 GB

OS

Windows Vista home premium 64-bit

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT.

Now, I run on medium settings, Which I Think, performance shouldn't be choppy, graphics all weird looking (especially on trees and bushes). Maybe it is our CPU's...I'm not sure, We might need faster ones, but I don't think that should matter since we have Quad-Cores.

I have the GTS 250 and have no problems with the graphics being distorted. Ive used every recent driver, as well.

I do, however, have this game running at horrible framerates (in campaign). I suspect it to be partly due to my processor being dual core instead of quad.

However, I remember someone posting a screenshot with distorted graphics. Try adding -winxp to the launch parameters.

I have the GTS 250 and have no problems with the graphics being distorted. Ive used every recent driver, as well.

I do, however, have this game running at horrible framerates (in campaign). I suspect it to be partly due to my processor being dual core instead of quad.

However, I remember someone posting a screenshot with distorted graphics. Try adding -winxp to the launch parameters.

dual/quad core is irrelevant...just overclock what you got as much as you can.

e8600 dual core at 4ghz produced same results i get from i7 920 @ 4ghz....i.e. good (at stock speeds both were playable but a bit jerky)

Hey thanks, the -winxp worked. I didnt really want to take the damn card back because it took me 2 hours to install, and it seem like a pretty solid graphics card. Just gotta wait till i get the full version now. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I just messed my pants, this game is awesome, i have the graphics maxed out and the game has a higher FPS than OFP. WTF? I love it

Yeah, Arma2 is not so heavy on the hardware, I'm running it 30+FPS with High settings on 1280x1024 on a two year old PC:

Proc E6850, 2gigs of RAM, 8800 GT OC2 512MB, integrated audio MB or old SB Audigy card. No probs whatsoever.

Yeah, Arma2 is not so heavy on the hardware, I'm running it 30+FPS with High settings on 1280x1024 on a two year old PC:

Proc E6850, 2gigs of RAM, 8800 GT OC2 512MB, integrated audio MB or old SB Audigy card. No probs whatsoever.

Thanks, you're making me feel better finally, a friend of mine is rebuilding one of my PC's and is adding that very same processor, 8 gigs of RAM and 3 SLI GeForce 9800 cards.

The last few days had me worrying on whether or not I should have upgraded a little further on the cards, but since 8800 and 9800's are very similar, that relieves my headache!

I just messed my pants, this game is awesome, i have the graphics maxed out and the game has a higher FPS than OFP. WTF? I love it
May I ask what 3d resolution and view distance you set?

ITS THE 8 GIGS OF MEMORY! you see, i have an xp and a windows vista, in my xp i have 2 gigs of ram...works fine, 4 gigs in my vista...,.works fine BUT the second i upgraded my vista with 8 gigs i started seeing blockey textures and it would take 20 seconds to load a face (lol) so there is your answer its the 8 gigs there is another topic on this, use the seach engine

What did best buy make you pay for that stuff? Last night I ordered a new video card and powersupply (GTX275 and 750 watt Corsair) for $350 before rebates also comes with new batman game free.

Sorry to break the OP's heart but your stats arent that great. Not sure your saying they are but for a few more dollars you could've gotten a GTX275 from newegg - hell of alot more card. Also I wouldnt listen to Bestbuy, infact I would say do the opposite of what they say.

That being said here are my spec's

AMD 6400+ BE CPU 3.21 Ghz (DualCore)

4GB Corsair Ram

nVidia 8800GT

550 watt PS

465GB harddrive

Now here's the kicker, I bluescreen out of ARMA to the point that its unplayable. Newest nVidia drivers and good frame rates. Crash to death. I hope the new GTX card makes the difference because I only get this problem in ARMA 2 and Im not tearing my system apart for 1 game.

EDIT

Here are some prices from new egg compared to bestbuys website. Its pretty obvious which is the better deal.

Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143183

Bestbuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9271539&st=GTS250&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1218072680869

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9293542&st=GTX275&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218076081264

Another word of advice, BFG seems to be equal or higher priced in some areas compared to EVGA. Im not sure why but I would lean toward EVGA, the customer reviews are promissing and Ive had a BFG card blow out on me.

Edited by CrazyAviator