Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

Does the basic Russian grunt really lack NVGs like in ARMA2?

I noticed the basic Russian soldier in ARMA2 lacks NVGs. Whereas every marine in ARMA2 has NVG. Is this accurate? And do Russian squad leaders really forego wearing helmets?

And do Russian squad leaders really forego wearing helmets?

I'd seriously doubt it.

The lack of NVGs makes sense, considering that the Russian army has been quite badly equipped. They seem to have been making progress as of late, but I'm not sure if that has extended down to things like NVGs.

Well, the US and Russia are approximately in the same weight-class when it comes to number of men in arms, but the US spends almost 600 billion more dollars (Or 16 times more) per year. I'd imagine that the Russians can afford considerably less equipment per soldier. Then again, I think they have enough money for helmets for their officers. Plus, it would be a foolish officer who made himself more distinctive to snipers on the battlefield.

Edited by Sertorius21

I can't really tell, but are those vests that the Russians in ARMA2 wear armored?

The NVG part is accurate. You don't want to know the rest... Trust me.

Lol, so no body armor either??

Russian soldiers distill alcohol from tank brakefluid, it makes you see at night.

Oh and yeh, btw the way Marines are NOT grunts, they are well equipped and superiorly trained troops, same in Russia, the Naval Infantry is very well equipped.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5802/flora1al1.jpg

Edited by Soul_Assassin

Oh and yeh, btw the way Marines are NOT grunts, they are well equipped and superiorly trained troops, same in Russia, the Naval Infantry is very well equipped.

Yup... I really can't name single naval infantry unit which wouldn't have these we're the "best-of-the-best"-illusions. Maybe sea-water just makes person more dumb or something? ... Or they chat and hang-around more with navy-guys than grunts? :D

On-topic: US is very rare country in it that it has afford to equip every soldier with NVGs. Some is soon going to come in suggesting that Marines are poor and have poor equipment? BAH! They have NVGs, optics, radios to low level! Sure compared to Army they are poorish, but compared to usual level in world they have "insane" amounts of top-quality gear.

Edited by Second

Russian soldiers distill alcohol from tank brakefluid, it makes you see at night.

Sounds more like something that would make you blind. :eek:

Hi all

As the Russian Army has shifted to an all volunteer force both its equipment and standards of professional behaviour have improved.

They have also been using Chechnya as a training ground for blooding their troops and to teach them and their officers their TTP and as an experimental lab for developing their doctrine.

It would be a serious error to underestimate them.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
clarification

Hi all

As the Russian Army has shifted to an all volunteer force both its equipment and standards of professional behaviour have improved.

They have also been using Chechnya as a training ground for blooding their troops and to teach them and their officers their TTP and as an experimental lab for developing their doctrine.

It would be a serious error to underestimate them.

Kind Regards walker

They have not shifted completely, and as if my opinion matter it's gonna take tens of years for that to happen, if it happens at all. What Russia is about accomplish right now or in near future is getting more NCOs. From what i've understood both conscript and career NCOs. And there's talk about this new doctrine.

Some rapid-deployment troops have high degree of professionals, but seems that even them have to use conscripts. In Georgia there were conscripts fighting, what is they amount of total man-power is not probably publicly known.

What positive progress has happened in Russian military is that Russian military is getting more money, which it can spent on training. Hangover from "wild-years" is fading slowly away (even when there are loads of social problems still), Russian military is probably getting again prouder of it self, less corruption more motivation etc. War in Georgia must have made good for their self esteem.

Like I said, you don't want to know the rest.

The basic concept is: "mother Russia will pump out more." (Pizda eshe narozhaet) Pump out what exactly - people, of course.

You don't want to be discussing a situation where regular citizens have near-zero value on the government level; not even talking about great ideals, or even ordinary laws.

It has always been this way, that is why we're not in mother Russia anymore; sole reason of return would be a good spot somewhere high in the marble halls to milk the peasants.

Yup... I really can't name single naval infantry unit which wouldn't have these we're the "best-of-the-best"-illusions. Maybe sea-water just makes person more dumb or something? ... Or they chat and hang-around more with navy-guys than grunts? :D

On-topic: US is very rare country in it that it has afford to equip every soldier with NVGs. Some is soon going to come in suggesting that Marines are poor and have poor equipment? BAH! They have NVGs, optics, radios to low level! Sure compared to Army they are poorish, but compared to usual level in world they have "insane" amounts of top-quality gear.

Circa 2004, Battle of Fallujah, night vision went to drivers, team leaders and squad leaders only. They were dependent on illumination from either fires or flares to see at night, which played merry hell with the nearby Army unit's night vision.

And no, it's not an "insane" amount of gear. It's the amount of gear a military has when it actually expects to fight and win.

Actually in russia you can get all the stuff a army can dream of from kevlar helmets and newest body armor to all kinds of optical devices.

Question is only how much you can afford with such a big military.

End of story is that normally a few units are extremely well equipped with gear and hardware.

Normally these will be the VDV units as they are the elite of the armed forces.

Marines also get good stuff but thats lot rarer than in vdv.

At the end you got the usual grunt and that -exeption might be some units like Guard units- that gets what is left over.

Georgia showed that good, first units that were rushed in were simple army units that looked a lot like they looked ten years ago in Chechnya, later VDV and Special Forces also arrived and you could see a clear difference in the gears quality.

---

So long story short, yes no NV googles on normal russian grunts fits, bis did the gear not bad, old steel pot helmet ssh-68 with a vsr cover, the classical M23 Pioneer LBV, FLora uniforms, only the Grenadepouches dont fit the classic outfit but i guess they just took this when they were already made for the spetsnaz.

What the flak vest is i dunno but its not one with modern characteristics like a 6b13 or similar body armors.

Edited by Shadow NX

Circa 2004, Battle of Fallujah, night vision went to drivers, team leaders and squad leaders only. They were dependent on illumination from either fires or flares to see at night, which played merry hell with the nearby Army unit's night vision.

And no, it's not an "insane" amount of gear. It's the amount of gear a military has when it actually expects to fight and win.

I dont' remember which article i read from 2006-2008 which stated that most of riflesuqad's members have been equiped with NVGs, few are left out for reason that they are supposed to use their other senses as they don't see so well. So situation in that front is supposed to got better.

Naturally US is spending loads of money on it's military, which naturally is good thing in that fighting and winning wars process. But yet US basically is cradle of quality thinking, some would prefer more boots on ground with less gear if they had that amount of resources.

Photo OP from South Osetia/Georgia by Arkady Babchenko (Ðркадий Бабченко), photos taked in the span of Aug. 7-13 of 2008 if I'm correct. Arkady is a vet from the Chechen wars, now working as a journalist.

You decide for yourself if you'd like to serve in this army and guard the motherland, not that you have any choise if you're born into it, other than revolt or getting the fuck out.

**LINK REMOVED BY MOD**

This army has zero fighting capability in night time; more FF than anywhere else: top of the iceberg - 2 friendly Su25 shot down by their own, with manpads.

NOTE: Some photographs are graphic.

Edited by Rhodite

Yes it is true basic russian grunt lack nightgoogles.

For example.T80 is weaker than MIA1(in ofp).but i read somewhere both almost equal.

Link was removed due to, quote "Explicit content". Google it up if you want realism in your games, as this topic implies.

Military forces solidarity is one this, bullshit is another.

Russian grunts don't need own NVG's since they will take them off of their dead, cold opponents' bodies :eek: :D

I don't think any army gives all it's grunts NVG's.

Russian gear is much cheaper than ours. Typically 1/3 of the price for everything.

Pretty much every war we have fought recently has identified a lack of NVG's as an issue. I notice the Russians had the same thoughts after Georgia.

Sounds more like something that would make you blind. :eek:

Yes, I think it's maybe lost in the translation: "Drink this and everything goes dark" :)

Yes it is true basic russian grunt lack nightgoogles.

For example.T80 is weaker than MIA1(in ofp).but i read somewhere both almost equal.

I don't know about some of the newer variants, but the T80s got chewed up quite bad in Chechnya. Abrams on the other hand seemed to have fared very well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't know about some of the newer variants, but the T80s got chewed up quite bad in Chechnya. Abrams on the other hand seemed to have fared very well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I thought the T80s got chewed up because they tried to use them without infantry support in Grozny. Something about the tanks not being able to aim their guns high enough to hit the roofs and the rebels knocking out the vehicles at the front and the back of the column. In which case its more of an example of poor tactics than poor equipment. I might be wrong though.

I think it was a mixture of both really. The T90 is probably the closest thing the Russians have to the Abrams, but it hasn't been used in any serious combat, so nobody really knows just how good it is.