Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

Why the P drive if it's saved to hard drive?

Top part in quotes resolved

Hello,

I'm not getting something. I understand that the P directory gets saved to the hard drive, but why do they use the P letter at all if these files are being saved to the physical drive, as though it’s a virtual drive, and not a physical drive? I have My Documents folder named-MyDocuments- on my E drive, but inside my mapdisk.bat which I found in the ArmA work folder, reads: subst p: "E:\-MyDocuments-Main\MyDocuments\ArmAWork" I don’t understand why they are using this P letter since most people’s Documents folder is on your C? (btw, these are the ArmA-II tool I have installed). I understand the concept of mounting an image, but again, if these files are being saved on an actual drive, why is the P letter being used for a path?

Edit, I'm sorry, my bad.

I just installed the ArmA-II tools a second time, and I noticed it says "it only associates a Folder to a Virtual Drive" So I think I just answered my own question. In other words, I guess the files get loaded into memory when the utilities are running, but are saved to the drive when unloaded. My apologizes

Edit2

something else kind of strange. according to a tutorial I was viewing, there should be demo model samples, such as buildings and vehicles in your work P directory under the CA folder. However I have no such files. I only have Roads, and Roads2 in the CA directory, and this is after installing the latest ArmA-II tools. According to the video at this link, they should be there. The video didn't mention it, but do the PBO files from the Bohemia Interactive addons folder need to be extracted to your P /CA folder to get to these 3d model files?

Thank you

Edited by starstreams

to edit2:

this was true for a1. BI did not release those yet for a2.

Hi Star,

I said in the above video "... BIS provided from the original ArmA 1"

I said in my FIRST video tutorial that some sample models were provided (ie only roads etc).

I see, I missed that detail, Thank you kju, and Gnat! btw, sorry about that Gnat.

@APS-Gnat, It’s an honor, and I’m glad to see you on these boards. Your videos are extremely helpful; I hope you keep making them. The whole P drive thing throw me until I watched your video on it, and that’s actually what caused me to edit my first post. There can't be enough good things to say about people who make video training tutorials! Keep up the great work!

Edited by starstreams