Sign in to follow this  
KC Grimes

Black Screen

So, for the first months that I had ArmA 2 the game would run perfectly fine on all High settings at 1280x1024 resolution with zero crashing or black screens. But then it started to do this 'black screen' about 30 minutes into a mission. The game would pause for a second, screen would flicker to black, then I could still move around and hear everything, but could only see black. After having enough, I just reinstalled my video drivers. This worked for about another month, but then it started happening again. The only way to close the game is to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. Once the game is closed and I am at my desktop, I get a message saying that my video driver has failed but then recovered. I lowered all of my settings to Low, including virtual memory, but the game still does the black screen. It's like each time it does it sooner though. Now I can't even create a server because the screen goes black after a couple seconds at the main menu.

I have searched this problem, but can't find any working solution on any forum. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this annoying problem?

4 gigs of physical RAM

Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512mb

Windows Vista Home Prem. x64 SP 2

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

Not sure but it sounds like it could be an overheat problem on the graphics card. The 9800GTX runs quite hot at the best of times.

As its happening sooner and sooner it could be on the way out.

Try monitoring temps and use a desk fan with the case open as a test.

Edited by EDcase

Yeah, I messed with this earlier. Turns out the temps were spiking pretty high. When I adjusted my overclocking settings, I had configured it for CoD4. Totally forgot to redo it for ArmA 2 :P I moved some things around and am now running ArmA 2 on Very High settings, 10000 view distance, and 1280x1024 resolution. With these settings and a slight overclock of the core and memory of the card I am running at 60-65 C in-game, depending on what I am doing. So, problem solved!

I had a problem that matched your description. My problem was caused through overclocking of my GFX card using the Nvidia program.

Returning the card to stock settings fixed the problem.