Sign in to follow this  
Saint Warrior

Strange ArmA 2 conflict with FRAPS utility

Hello everybody,

I would like to report a strange issue my XFX ATI RADEON HD 4870 X2 2GB card is encountering each time I try to measure the ingame FPS using FRAPS utility.

The game (including main menu) becomes filled with flying flashing triangles, lines making itself completely unplayable. The fan of GPU starts working in somewhat of an unusual manner. Changing the graphics settings or deleting profile does not help at all.

The only remedy for this glitch is a complete uninstall and fresh install of graphics card drivers.

Can anyboudy from BIS comment this issue? :(

tell FRAPS author about it ...

Or use ArmA2's very own diag_fps command yourself to display FPS.

Planck

Planck

could use some help here?

I've had some difficulty with Fraps myself - as have a few others, it seems... It's a DirectX problem, I believe - only seems to happen sometimes, but quite a lot for me since I also mostly use Kegetys SoftTh - too many directX things going on at once, too many backbuffers... conflicts seem to happen...

Fraps seems to be the culprit - softTh is pretty well behaved without it and gets along with Arma2 just fine otherwise...

I fooled with the new diag_fps trying to reduce it to an integer display but Deadfast did a far better job of it, and released his FPS Counter - works just nicely... I seriously suggest you give it a try - you'll get a more accurate reading, plus its one less program in memory eating cpu cycles (and using directX)... always a good idea...

... now if Deadfasts counter only "self-initialised" at mission startup, it would be even cooler still... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Make a blank mission in the editor with just the player, then save it.

Go to where the mission is saved, usually:

C:\Documents and Settings\ProfileName\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\PlayerName\missions\

Make a script using:

[] spawn
  {
   while {true} do
   {
    hint str (diag_fps);
    sleep .2;
   };
  };

Put this script file in your mission folder, then reload your saved mission and put bob = this execVM "nameofyourscript.sqf"; in your initialisation field, or something similar.

Preview your mission and wonder at your very own built in fps counter. :p

Planck

Edited by Planck

For those that have Asus video cards, use OSD (30 day trial for all cards).

I use the screenshot and fps for all games. The fps counter is tiny compared to Fraps.

You can also adjust GPU speed.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Planck

This is what my counter uses ;)

Update. That was not a fault of FRAPS at all. It was an ATI Overdrive feature, that was turned on in CCC and forcing GPU memory to overclock and bring up graphics corruptions in-game. ArmA 2 is working perfectly in Crossfire X mode with ATI Overdrive turned off.

Oh well...

Alls well that ends well Saint Warrior - glad you got it sorted out...

My Fraps issue was different I think... Windows crash with "Fraps.exe" and or "dxd9.dll" - no Fraps = no crashes like that...

I had the crazy white triangles for about a week after patch 1.03 myself - couldn't understand it, couldn't get rid of them - finally I did a complete game reinstall and it never happened again.... still haven't figured that one out... but - it's working fine again!

B