Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Combined Operation Arrowhead informations

http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/arrowhead.html

The Cover will look like this

A2OAdvd_s.jpg

There will also be a different Cover for the US, its basucally the same, only that the US one has the Flag as background

The Game is an Addon to Arma2, but will work stand alone.

OA will take place in the Country of Takistan, wich is inspired by Afghanistan

Releasedate: 29.06.2010

Overview:

Three years after the confl ict in Chernarus, portrayed in the original Arma II, a new fl ashpoint in the Green Sea region heats up and coalition forces led by the US Army are sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties.

Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew in this new installment in the award winning line up of military simulators for PC from Bohemia Interactive.

Features:

Takistan 160km² 160 square km of Central Asia modeled with extreme precision using real world data

Zargabad 70km² 70 square km of extremely realistic environment including full areas of dense urban CQB conflicts.

Desert The Size is infinite

Neue Factions For example German KSK, Czech Army, the Takistani Army and local militias

Over 100 new vehicels and over 80 new Weapons For example Sweet Stuff like the AH-64 Apache, MH-47 Chinook, AH/MH-6 Littlebird, Stryker varianten, M3 Bradley, T-55, BTR-60, M113, UH-1H, FN FAL, FN

SCAR variants and many more

New Sound Engine

Grafics and Engine Optimisations

Funktional Infrared Lasers und Lamp torches

FLIR

Countermeassures for Planes and Choppers

Firecontrolsystem for Tanks

Fully functional Backpacks

Controllable UAVs

Ability to zero your Gun

Random Town Generator If you are tired of playing in the same enviroment again

Nearly all Buildings enterable

Better Performance compared to Arma2

Not confirmed Features:

Fully functional 3-D Real Time Editor

64bit .exe for more RAM Support

Ability to modify your Weapon àla MW2

Ability to shoot from the passenger seat

Factions:

BLUFOR

-US Army

-Delta Force

-German KSK

-Czech Army

-UN

OPFOR

The local takistani Army, local Militias

First Trailer:

IlXa9uoAoXc&feature=player_embedded

>All Screenshots are Ingame

11929-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600 Eine kleine Auswahl von amerikanischen Schützenpanzern

11930-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11931-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11932-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11933-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11934-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11950-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11951-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

11952-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600

Chinook

4-ss_preview_02arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

4-ss_preview_04arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

4-ss_preview_03arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead038.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead037.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead036.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead035.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead034.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead033.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead032.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead030.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead029.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead028.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead027.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead026.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead025.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead024.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead023.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead020.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead019.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead018.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead017.jpg

screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead016.jpg

afdb306b.jpg

210bb3a0.jpg

f2dedd54.jpg

Falschparker

18b85a99.jpg

9621fbfb.jpg

screenshot_230244.jpg

screenshot_230243.jpg

screenshot_230242.jpg

screenshot_230241.jpg

screenshot_230240.jpg

screenshot_230239.jpg

screenshot_230238.jpg

screenshot_230237.jpg

screenshot_230236.jpg

screenshot_230234.jpg

screenshot_230233.jpg

4-ss_preview_01arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

4-ss_preview_07arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

4-ss_preview_08arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

4-ss_preview_05arma2_oa.jpg.jpg

A Review from a Game Magazine that had the privilegue to play the Prewiev Version of OA

It wouldn't be fair to call Operation Arrowhead "just" an expansion. Respect-worthy statistics describing the new project prove that this is in fact a new game built on top of ARMA 2's engine. The plot is this time set in a fictional country similar to Afghanistan, where terrorists fight with several international organizations. The campaign and its plot won't have almost anything at all in common with previous ARMA.

Because the release date is closing in we got our hands on a press preview version. It still had a few quirks, but it gave us a strong suggestion as to what a war in a different place on Earth will look like, meaning a completely different environment that Chernorussian forests in the previous game. The first thing from Operation Arrowhead I tried was one of the campaign missions, where together with my team I set out to free captives from buildings inside a quarry...

The mission start was truly effective - we were transported to the place by small helicopters straight out of the Black Hawk Down movie (Little Bird ). I got a rifle with a telescopic sight so huge it filled nearly half of the screen. On top of that we were attacking from hills and the whole complex was right down bellow us. All we had to do was close in a bit and open fire with lethal precision on the enemy soldiers. They did react on the incoming fire by lying down, for example, however hiding behind some obstacles or even inside buildings didn't appeal to them.

After a rather easy base clean-up a next task came up. A civilian rushed out from one of the buildings and claimed that he was ordered by the enemy soldiers to rig the whole complex to explode. He gave me a deactivation code just before he disappeared in a valley. I thought that deactivating the bomb would be an easy task. However, at that time I didn't yet know that the detonator's display doesn't show standard Arabic numerals, but some weird gibberish.

Thankfully the numbers were quite easy to guess and I could move on to searching for the hostages. At that time another helicopter with a "clean-up" commando was already landing in a courtyard between the buildings and I got to hitch a ride to the other side of the valley where I was to defend a nearby town with an anti-aircraft cannon from an air raid. Overall a pretty busy day!

As is obvious from the part above Operation Arrowhead compared to the original campaign quite some action. I didn't hit a single dead spot playing the mission. I was also surprised by the logical puzzle mentioned before. Personally I the missions in the full game will look similar and the boring segments from the previous game won't have a comeback. It would really help.

The destruction system got an update as well, this time it is present with every building. Larger buildings can be "chewed up" from every side and only after a while the whole structure will collapse. Smaller houses on the other hand will collapse fully into a cloud of smoke after a single shot. The destruction of course can't match for example Bad Company 2, though only a few would expect that from a such a complex game.

The terrain is of course completely new, although it felt a bit weird to me in some places. Personally I expect a lot more desert from an environment similar to Afghanistan. Green vegetation could be seen a bit too often and it was rather weird when you had a huge bush or a ten meters high tree growing out of a dead dry ground. Even with low altitude helicopter flying the scenery didn't seem as varied as it was in the original ARMA. On the other hand I have to commend the buildings and I hope a part of the missions in the full game will take place in built-up areas.

Operation Arrowhead obviously offers a lot of new combat means, which once more look impressive. Most of you will be impressed by ground vehicles, presented by tanks, personal carriers and even motorbikes and quads. The eye of a real military enthusiast will be attracted by the air vehicles, including the the AH-64 Apache or MH-47 Chinook. Similar equipment can be found on the other side, where you get to meet up close the legendary T-55 tank or the amphibious BTR-60.

All of the war machines could be tested at military bases, where they were neatly parked next to each other. To be frank, I haven't seen such a great military parade for a long time. It was these combat vehicles that took the main part in the other two included missions that were included in the preview version, next to the editor and some smaller missions for each side of the conflict.

In the first mission I took control of an American tank, passing in between oil rigs decimating similarly dug-up enemies. As is the standard for ARMA, one direct hit meant the enemy is dealt with. I was allowed to choose if I want to get behind the wheel or rather command the crew and use the top machine gun. The other mission behind the controls of a helicopter at night was no less interesting. My task was to get past enemy anti-air defenses and destroy the assigned target.

In the full version you will also get the option to customize your weapons, quite similar to Modern Warfare 2, and a unique thermal vision. New hand weapons go hand-to-hand with that. Analyzing the AI behavior at this point is a bit so far a bit premature and I personally hope the developers will properly focus on this area.

Such focus should be also dedicated towards the HW requirements. With Core i5 750, Radeon 4890, 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-bit I was struggling to get past 30-40 frames per second at medium details and parts where my frame rate could be counted on the fingers of one hand weren't that uncommon either. The HW requirements could obviously change in the several months left before release though.

Operation Arrowhead looks very good so far, as far as missions go. As usual, the models of vehicles are perfect and interesting are the small improvements such as the building destruction. Let alone the whole new terrain so big, it can be easily compared to what the original second ARMA offered.

The developers have to be on a lookout for artificial intelligence tweaks, HW requirements and the few small quirks I have met with in the preview version. Maybe in the end it will all work out and this ARMA 2 sequel will again seize the place amongst the top of realistic combat games.

A Video demonstrating the new FLIR.

You wont find such a realistic FLIR in any other game

bQUy15Hfct8&feature=player_embedded

MIK3286f8_arma2OA_p01.jpg

MIK3286f9_arma2OA_p02.jpg

MIK3286f9_arma2OA_p03.jpg

MIK3286f9_arma2OA_p04.jpg

MIK3286fa_arma2OA_p05.jpg

Another Video showing some Tank Commander Action, just scroll to the Bottom of the Page

New Video showing the Random Town generator

6gyVO7BZIss&feature=player_embedded

Gamestar Video showing some Features of OA

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=13838

A Few Pictures of Takistan

arma2.pl_095.jpg

arma2.pl_097.jpg

arma2.pl_098.jpg

arma2.pl_099.jpg

arma2.pl_101.jpg

arma2.pl_002.jpg

arma2.pl_094.jpg

arma2.pl_091.jpg

arma2.pl_092.jpg

arma2.pl_001.jpg

Zagrabad

arma2.pl_088.jpg

arma2.pl_081.jpg

arma2.pl_083.jpg

arma2.pl_085.jpg

[rimg]http://arma2.pl/img/article/201004/arma2.pl_086.jpg[/img]

arma2.pl_087.jpg

And the Desert

arma2.pl_076.jpg

arma2.pl_077.jpg

Some nice FLIR Shots

arma2.pl_021.jpg

arma2.pl_022.jpg

For the Pilots

arma2.pl_006.jpg

arma2.pl_011.jpg

arma2.pl_014.jpg

arma2.pl_102.jpg

Lets present BLUFOR

US Army:

arma2.pl_073.jpg

arma2.pl_058.jpg

arma2.pl_060.jpg

arma2.pl_064.jpg

arma2.pl_072.jpg

arma2.pl_050.jpg

arma2.pl_055.jpg

arma2.pl_059.jpg

Czech Army:

arma2.pl_067.jpg

arma2.pl_068.jpg

arma2.pl_016.jpg

arma2.pl_052.jpg

The German KSK:

arma2.pl_066.jpg

Locals:

arma2.pl_030.jpg

And here comes OPFOR:

Takistanian Army:

arma2.pl_048.jpg

arma2.pl_015.jpg

arma2.pl_033.jpg

arma2.pl_037.jpg

arma2.pl_038.jpg

arma2.pl_042.jpg

arma2.pl_044.jpg

arma2.pl_046.jpg

Takistanian Militia:

arma2.pl_047.jpg

The improved Damage Model:

Before:

arma2.pl_027.jpg

After:

arma2.pl_025.jpg

Some more Stuff for Pilots:

arma2.pl_008.jpg

arma2.pl_009.jpg

New Gamestar Video showing some Weapons Training

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=13861

Updated 07/05/2010

beta_ArmAII-45pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-54pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-30pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-29pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-49pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-60pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-53pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-55pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-58pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-59pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-48pe.jpg

beta_ArmAII-35pe.jpg

2 New Videos

O9PI5fpINJI&feature=player_embedded

and

Pz6Dytaq828

Please keep in Mind that this is just the Preview code. The game will be much better by now

The second Video was made with

AMD X2 3800+/OC 4600+

2 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4870

and Windows XP running almost year without format

Viewdistance 4km

(Information collected by Tonci87, greetings from =NAG= Clan)

New Update for the first Post

Latest Update 18.05.2010

Some new Screenshots

http://img39.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=me00012558092.jpg

A nice article on krawall.de

http://www.krawall.de/web/ArmA_2_Ope...view/id,54221/

together with some nice Screenshots

http://www.krawall.de/web/ArmA_2_Ope...whead/gallery/

New interview with Jan Prazak

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100305

3 Part gameplay mechanics video

Part 1

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100298

Part 2

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100296

Part 3

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100294

Maybe in Arma 3

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

First Post

Update 02.06.2010

Enjoy the First Mission from the main campaign together wit the realy nice Cover for Germany^^

http://petergames.de/ARMA-2-Operation-Arrowhead.91.0.html

Armedassault.info provides one of the best Previews so farm together with nice Screenshots and some Gameplayvideos.

The most important info is thta the AI has been optimised to better interact with the bulidings. AI is now likely to use balconies.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=articles&class=articles&id=43

Please notice the AI using Smoke for Cover in the Daytime video, and the Chopper at 1:53 not crashing into the Hill like he would in Arma 2

The Nighttime Video shows that the light cones from Streetlamps have disappeared, together with the ugly muzzle flashes.

AAN- Online has some new Articels about the political Situation in Takistan

http://www.aan-online.com/en/europe/18-nato-training-exercises-in-2010.html

Please notice the Screenshots with BRITISH units.

So the Brits are a confirmed faction for OA

http://www.aan-online.com/en/europe/23-chernarus-firms-strike-uneasy-deal-in-takistan.html

http://www.aan-online.com/en/europe/25-chernarussian-geologist-killed-in-karzeghistan.html

Don´t forget to watch the Video wich shows a Blackwater merc, so we can expect them as well to be included in OA.

Edited by Placebo

Standalone... meaning they could rewrite the engine for it without having to re-release Arma 2

This sounds v interesting..hope is true maybe the devs can give us a bit more info on this?..

IDEA Games don't seem to know anything about the project.

An independent developer releasing an officially endorsed expansion

pack to the game wouldn't take any time away from BIS to work on

the engine itself.

Calm down.

I hope we'll get a game with a completely rewritten physics engine...in case its true.

Edit: OMG look at the pix! That Apache is totally owning.

US Army?

Awesome. The screenshots look a bit like Afghanistan

Exactly, would love to have terrain based on Afghanistan. :yay:

Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew

I wonder if they mean the camaign... as in more like CWC.

The fuck? An expansion already?!

This is madness! I would hope that the game is fixed before the expansion is released.

However, I assume this is done because after the game is finished you have a whole bunch of full-time employees doing nothing (most of the bug checking is done by the coders I would assume). May as well pay them to do something right? :P

Nice looking Apache.

If it goes like Queens Gambit, the actual campaign was outsourced to Black Element. So it may not slow down BIS from fixing the original campaign (Dogs of war).

Otherwise, that would explain why there wasn't many content and config fixes in 1.03.

May as well pay them to do something right? :P

Yes, modellers, mission makers and texture artists don't deal with bugs. So at any rate, it's just as well they work on more content.

I'm not very happy to see an expansion already because BIS doesn't have a team big enough to work on both games at the same time, so they'll probably take people who are fixing ARMA2 to work on the expansion. Also I hope they will make a expansion for people who already own ARMA2 because why should we buy the entire game again if we only need the campaing and new units.

I hope this doesn't postpone the release of the editing tools...

Personally I think the content of the expansion will be largely based on content from the VBS2 US Army module, with some enhancements to the models and inclusion of spec maps, normal maps etc to bring them up to ArmA2's visual spec.

This wont draw much in the way of resources from BIS's bug-fixing since the content is already there, it just needs sprucing up by a couple of members of the art team.

Hopefully this means there will be a Chinook too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/arma-ii-operation-arrowhead-standalone-expansion-for-bohemia-s-military-sim-to-be-shown-in-cologne

different press release?

"Bohemia Interactive is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack, this will not only allow us to introduce a new and original theater of war to the simulation series, but also improve numerous areas of the core game, for both the original game and the expansion, where we can go even further with adding completely new features" said Marek Spanel, Bohemia’s CEO.
Edited by TimRiceSE

I'm not very happy to see an expansion already because BIS doesn't have a team big enough to work on both games at the same time, so they'll probably take people who are fixing ARMA2 to work on the expansion. Also I hope they will make a expansion for people who already own ARMA2 because why should we buy the entire game again if we only need the campaing and new units.

I hope this doesn't postpone the release of the editing tools...

Different people in the team work on different things. I doubt this will interfere much with tools and bug fixing. My main concern however is that they say new features... I really don't want to see any new features until BIS polishes the existing ones.

"Bohemia Interactive is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack, this will not only allow us to introduce a new and original theater of war to the simulation series, but also improve numerous areas of the core game, for both the original game and the expansion, where we can go even further with adding completely new features" said Marek Spanel, Bohemia’s CEO.

It's kinda pathetic that the two top threads right now:

-Expansion

-Campaign Needs Rework

Doesn't make much sense to me really to be doing this

To be fair, it was on the top of the thread list, so why create a whole new thread about the expansion when it was right there...no searching required

4players.de says it´ll be a stand-alone .... ... i´m missing the right words :confused:

Different people in the team work on different things. I doubt this will interfere much with tools and bug fixing. My main concern however is that they say new features... I really don't want to see any new features until BIS polishes the existing ones.

Still I don't think you can make an expansion with only 3d artists and texturists. Someone still has to bring those models ingame...

EDIT: Well is somehow reasuring to see an official statement that BIS can handle both game without making compromises.

Any ideas who will be the enemy?

Edited by BogdanM