Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Still I don't think you can make an expansion with only 3d artists and texturists. Someone still has to bring those models ingame...

I'm sure they've got that covered. However it does seem that they plan to work on the the core engine with this expansion. That will effect ArmA II patches... whether for good or bad I can't be sure, as surely any fixes/improvements they make in the expansion will also be implemented into original ArmA II.

I hope so :) The setting sounds great, the optics look well on the first screenshots. I like it! I buy it!

Optics?

Limited resource + Expansion Pack = Less effort to get the engine bugs solved.

Engine Bugs = Coding Team

Expansion Pack = Art team + more money for Coding team and support for game.

Engine Bugs = Coding Team

Expansion Pack = Art team + more money for Coding team and support for game.

Not necessarily. They mentioned further developing the engine with the expansion. Ready me above posts.

I cant wait to get this. Looks and sounds very promising :D

Hell yea! There will afgan-iran style map and new units - that AH-64D is looking godlike , great for my sounds :) :cool:

Either way, its more commitment from BIS to the ArmA franchise, which cant be a bad thing for the end user in the long run?

IMO it's way too early to speculate how this could turn out... so I say let's just wait and see.

Working now on an expansion means that there are less man ours left over for correcting the existing bugs

Again, completely untrue.

Bugs are concerning me atm but this is a while till expansion so there might be more patches/fixes

IMO it's way too early to speculate how this could turn out... so I say let's just wait and see.

Again, completely untrue.

Uhh...unless the BS coders are omnipresent...then this would be completely true, not the above stated.

Woah this is GREAT news!

I just posted in another thread about how I would love to see an expansion for ARMA2 which would hopefully enhance the game and offer more of the campaign but possibly at a lower price as its not a fully new game!

I just hope they still support ARMA2 as that has a lot of meat left in it.

It is strange how fast they announced the expansion after the release of ARMA2, I wonder why? Most expansions dont happen until a few months after the original.

As for the setting in the desert? Well at least it will perform faster without those nasty slowdowns that linda gives us :)

Yapa

Think this was already stated, but the majority of the work that will go into the expansion will most likely be models, textures, terrain, mission scripting etc, which would (unless BIS employs some exceptionally multi-talented people) probably not be handled by the same guys who work on programming the game engine.

In addition...

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead will be presented during the Gamescom; trade fair for interactive games and entertainment in Cologne, Germany 19th – 23rd August 2009.[/Quote]

Its being presented NEXT WEEK. i guess this means its already been under development for some time. So i dont think this will slow down the current pace of ArmA2 patching.

Uhh...unless the BS coders are omnipresent...then this would be completely true, not the above stated.

I would imagine bugfixing is part of the developlment process for the expansion. Do remember that even though it's an expansion it's still ArmA II, it's not like they're working on a different game.

This has me as excited as Stalker CoP.... even though I have only done 4 missions in the ARMA2 campaign.

I've played a bit online but have to say the DOM/EVO modes really dont do it for me.... I loved the Warfare mode in ARMA2 Demo but it just doesnt seem to be played in ARMA2 :(

I'm looking forward to this. Resistance (and to a lesser degree Red Hammer) did wonders to Operation Flashpoint. Queens Gambit was a nice addition to Armed Assault. Is this expansion also developed by a thrid party? I'm curious to know wich one.

I would imagine bugfixing is part of the developlment process for the expansion. Do remember that even though it's an expansion it's still ArmA II, it's not like they're working on a different game.

Yes that is, how it is, it help us to polish engine and add things that was wip due arma2 development, but there was not time to finish them.

I dont play campaigns or bis made missions and if this is all it is then I'm not really to excited or bothered about it. Rather them concentrate on fixing the game.

adding cheat protection for one? The game is rife with cheats atm and the signature thing does nada.

Yes that is, how it is, it help us to polish engine and add things that was wip due arma2 development, but there was not time to finish them.

Good to hear that from the devs.

Now if you guys just come right out and explain stuff like this it would put an end to all the speculation. :rolleyes:

Placebo and ohara regularly post on the forums with info, help and other info!

I think this is great, thank you ohara for reassuring us that ARMA2 vanilla will still get all the improvements and features that the expansion will get.

Also, we are all different players.... some like campaign/story and some like only multi player/editor.

I'm a campaign / story player and I love coop... so this is great news to me.

what i don't understand is the part of "standalone expansion", does it means that it's in a new version like red hammer/resistance/queen's gambit or it's a <cross fingers> new engine? :D </ cross fingers>

Sounds like they are going back to their CWC roots, creating a campaign where you play several different people in several different branches.

That can only be a good thing.

Aside from the campaign bugs, I don't find ArmA II an overly bugged game at it's core. I'm not sure what major problems people are having. As long as the mission is coded and triggers right, I have a flawless gaming experience when playing. MP seems to be working fine for me too.

what i don't understand is the part of "standalone expansion", does it means that it's in a new version like red hammer/resistance/queen's gambit or it's a <cross fingers> new engine? :D </ cross fingers>

All it should mean is that it won't require the original ArmA II.

I've seen the concept of standalone expansions used a LOT recently. I guess it has its advantages (more sales), but it never feels good to pay for something all over again.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Standalone usually means it'll be the same engine but with enough new features and a large enough new campaign to warrant a full price purchase.

Standalone = you don't have to own ArmA II to buy and play it. The complete engine will already be in Operation Arrowhead.

How BIS views it is yet to be seen as we've never seen a standalone expansion from them. Hopefully they follow the lead of most developers and include enough new material for it to be worth a standalone price....