Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

DM;

Yeah that would be awesome, however there is still the issue of the AIs seeing in red green and gray. If BIS could program the AIs so that all AIs are not instantaneously IDed as friend or foe it would be amazing. Also be cool to steal an enemy vehicle and not have them all instantly shoot and kill you on sight, but instead have freindly AIs shoot at a supposedly enemy vehicle

+more veriety of guns the better

regarding that vid, I DLed the .asx file and it works a lot better (streams in windows media rather than internet browser).

its just slow as hell :p

There is part 2 of the video. I can't find part 1 though.

Yeah, i have some troubles with uploading it. Youtube seems to refuse part one :(

It might be done in about 1 hour or so.

Meh, I want some info that I actually don't know already. I want to see engine and design changes. Not just new content.

*insert faceplam picture here*

like stated a million times before, do not expect any big change in design and engine itself as they are using the same, you may expect small interface change but with BI style of doing things i dont think there would be huge difference too

Thanks for the shot briefing of the video :)

Korangal Valley?

Can't seem to find anything in or near this valley that is exactly as the satellite pictures on this video. The only one I found to be similar was this one, but it was still quite far off.

I'll keep looking.

EDIT:

This one? Not quite sure though (34 56' 35.41"N, 70 57'15.64"E - North at 180 arc angle, eyeheight 20 km) Curve on the valley to the right is too sharp.

Edited by colossus

The backpack thing looks good, although something ACE was basically going to do anyway, but it's nice to have the added functionality.

Random town stuff is excellent, that'll be a lot of fun for quick Coop and TVT.

Not a great deal of info at this stage but I hope this means they'll be doing more PR and releasing more info soon.

I'm very interested in what they have optimized, added and/or changed with the engine, and of course more about the new features. Maybe not as much on the content and campaign, this is better analysed personally when the game expansion is out.

For the umpteenth time, don't expect significant engine changes!

Great find, thanks to those who posted - can't wait.

For the umpteenth time, don't expect significant engine changes!

Hence my "and/or" ;)

But, no, I don't expect much. Whatever is optimized, added and/or changed I would like to know more about, if that is of course the case. The technical part is, on my part, more interesting rather then what content will be included. That I will have alot of time analysing when the game is out anyway.

I am completely skeptical about this expansion With Bis's history of meeting deadlines and rushing unfinished games into the shops with terrible unplayable bugs and general poor quality we get until a patch finally comes out i can only assume arrowhead will be exactly the same. I am glad though that it has finally taken us to a middle eastern scenario simply because russians are so 1985 and the world has been fighting in the middle east for many years since with no russian problems at all. It's a nice change to actually get to do it in arma (being as the 2 arma games are set at current time, where as ofp was set during the cold war.)

I would hope that BI can find a publisher that let them to have more time, but i dont think that would happen, and before you ask "Why BI cant hold them back" I can tell you that with BI company size the publishing business just wont be that kind to them

The random town generation (if working correctly) seems ace.

If they improve the random terrain generation used in Arma 2 to include a bit of clutter and trees (according to altitude and slope for instace) you could have an fantastic new way of creating new islands almost on the fly : try a few variations and save the random seed when you're happy with the result.

Not as detailled as a real topographic map, but lots of fun nonetheless... Add a ambient life, combat and civilian module and you get new surprises at each play : new place, new cities, new enemies...

Woo that backpack feature will come in handy, and is realistic. "IM OUT OF AMMO!!!" -"Shut up and come get some in my backpack". :)

EDIT: The quad bike, the backpack being picked up... I surely hope the ACE team is working side by side with BIS on this expansion. Cause that will mean it will kick ass x 2.

EDIT2: BIS, maybe you can give us CBU's for the jets in OA? Its a good bomb for large maps with a lot of scattered infantry, and shouldnt be too hard to make but would be very good addition that will make the ARMA airforce even more appealing. :)

Edited by Alex72

Woo that backpack feature will come in handy, and is realistic. "IM OUT OF AMMO!!!" -"Shut up and come get some in my backpack". :)

EDIT: The quad bike, the backpack being picked up... I surely hope the ACE team is working side by side with BIS on this expansion. Cause that will mean it will kick ass x 2.

EDIT2: BIS, maybe you can give us CBU's for the jets in OA? Its a good bomb for large maps with a lot of scattered infantry, and shouldnt be too hard to make but would be very good addition that will make the ARMA airforce even more appealing. :)

I personally thinks by simply adding CCIP function to "dumb bomb" would be enought for CAS mission, it just that I dont know if this can be done:confused:

I personally thinks by simply adding CCIP function to "dumb bomb" would be enought for CAS mission, it just that I dont know if this can be done:confused:

I agree bro. Remember what BIS said about OA though? They said aircraft HUD's would be more functional. At least if i understood it correct. Hopefully that MAYBE means we get the simplest form of real bomb dropping modes. :)

However CBU's are a bomb that is perfect for ARMA, and i dont know why anyone would want to skip it? Oh well, well see what BIS surprise us with.

Heck, even the old game "Hind", from 1995, had a simple CCIP on it's HUD. I hope it's included.

They should have named it ARMA 2: Operation Flashpoint

xD xD xD xD xD

Also, it concerns me that it's standalone. Unless they are including everything from ARMA 2 into the expansion. I don't want to play a mission in Arrowhead, shoot a soldier, then have to shut down the game, start up ARMA 2, destroy a shilka, then restart Arrowhead, and continue xD

BOHEMIA! DMM THIS TIME!???!?!?!???

They should have named it ARMA 2: Operation Flashpoint

xD xD xD xD xD

Also, it concerns me that it's standalone. Unless they are including everything from ARMA 2 into the expansion. I don't want to play a mission in Arrowhead, shoot a soldier, then have to shut down the game, start up ARMA 2, destroy a shilka, then restart Arrowhead, and continue xD

BOHEMIA! DMM THIS TIME!???!?!?!???

Man, please read this before you continue your search of information about ArmA2:OA. It's not that much.

But to keep it short: ArmA2:OA will not contain (or need) the original ArmA2 content/system files - meaning, you will not need to have both titles to run it. Additionaly, you WILL BE ABLE to port ArmA2 content to ArmA2:OA and create a mission with Apaches (ArmA2:OA) and Shilkas (ArmA2)

Man, please read this before you continue your search of information about ArmA2:OA. It's not that much.

But to keep it short: ArmA2:OA will not contain (or need) the original ArmA2 content/system files - meaning, you will not need to have both titles to run it. Additionaly, you WILL BE ABLE to port ArmA2 content to ArmA2:OA and create a mission with Apaches (ArmA2:OA) and Shilkas (ArmA2)

You just summed everything I said >.>

You just summed everything I said >.>

Really? Am I talking about madly restarting games to load content from other game? :)