Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

The only way you can do it (currently, unless someone OVERWRITES the Command Menu!) is to use a waypoint over the vehicle. Click Type and then GETIN.

We need some more information on how to modify the HC section on the Biki.

In your situation just have the 3 guys you want to look after your truck in your main team (ie don't split them off) then when needed they can jump into the truck when commanded.

yep, my pleasure:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciated. It sounds real nice, I'll definitely give it a try and study your scripts.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciated. It sounds real nice, I'll definitely give it a try and study your scripts.

Much appreciated too :)

I'm sure you'll find large room of improvement as I still carry some "old ballast" even from OF times within them. Pretty aware of that I am, particularly when writing new code from the ground up, and I do hope I can rewrite a good portion of the core in the nearer future, let allone for its readability.

On the other hand I don't want to investigate too much effort in this, unless some really important functions are back working, most importantly 'FindCover'.

That alone took me days to workaround it ending up with still questionable results compared to what the function would have provided for.

However, I wish you much fun with the mission.

Looking forward to your comments !

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I loaded all my men into the chopper and myself and sat there wondering how to tell the pilot I am rady let's go because he turned off the engine.

You are right, unfortunately.

Just suffering from that same as I type :(

BugFix imminent !

OK Wiper, finally I'm sitting in the heli. The rest of my team also.

But heli don't want to take off. It turned engines off after taking a ground.

Is it correct behaviour? What should I do?

best regards

OK Wiper, finally I'm sitting in the heli. The rest of my team also.

But heli don't want to take off. It turned engines off after taking a ground.

Is it correct behaviour? What should I do?

best regards

Look up about an 2 inches. Bugfix coming. :)

Look up about an 2 inches. Bugfix coming. :)

yep, thanks manzilla!

not shure if I pull it off for today,

please check first post , I've already nailed down two glitches, but that non starter at then end still gives me headache, as it runs perfectly when I take the shortcut to the mission end.

I once figured that units refuse to move to off map waypoints buts thats clearly not the case here ...

very cool mission. i gave it a whirl in SP. can't wait to play it with my friends.

i too had the problem of the heli not taking off at the end (1.18).

also, at one point i briefly switched to the marksman to take out an enemy at distance. when i switched back to the team leader, he was way far away, back in the area where the objective was. maybe he ran there, but i think it was too far away for him to have run in that short amount of time. either way, there's something wrong there.

when i switched back to the team leader, he was way far away, back in the area where the objective was.

thanks for the feedy.

yes that smells fishy. will have a look at it

Mission updated to v1.19 - check 1st post

---------- Post added at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 AM ----------

The only way you can do it (currently, unless someone OVERWRITES the Command Menu!) is to use a waypoint over the vehicle. Click Type and then GETIN.

We need some more information on how to modify the HC section on the Biki.

In your situation just have the 3 guys you want to look after your truck in your main team (ie don't split them off) then when needed they can jump into the truck when commanded.

will give it a try - thank you !

still no end sequence.

I start from a save just before calling the transport.

best regards

still no end sequence.

I start from a save just before calling the transport.

no wonder then. needs a fresh start !

just started a new game, and the objective was on the island offshore. don't believe there's any way to get out there? are there boats hidden around? also, in this case the green insertion point marker was in the wrong place. it was on the island too, not where i spawned on the coast.

i restarted, and the insertion marker was in the right place this time...

I did have issues at end of mission as I mentioned before where we all get in the chopper and sit there for ages, nothing happens. I had to shoot the pilot and fly off myself :D

I installed 1.19 and loaded the save and still the same thing, I then assumed I had to restart so I am now on a new mission and will let you know if I get extracted successfully this evening.

Other thing which bugs me a little. When you call for extraction and get rejected because there are enemy around you are told they are updating your map, I assume the big red circles are the update? If they know enemy are around they must have a better idea where they are because I spent ages driving around within the circle village to village and found nothing, then drove across country and nothing. Can we have large circles at start of mission and then tighter or different coloured circles later after your call for extraction is rejected? these smaller ones can be within the larger one, just immitates the intelligence they are eluding to.

Also don't forget the radio jamming scenario, is a nice extension to the brief case one, random radio tower placed somewhere near where you radioed, within 2km or something. Can even be a tent camp with temporary setup, full squad of AI (8 men, plus roving patrol of 6 or so within 800m or so of camp?) with a couple of dogs would be enough challenge this late in the mission and really prove your metal.

Edited by Dogtags

And i never found what im supposed to find in the first place lol. I guess i just suck at searching. :D

And i never found what im supposed to find in the first place lol. I guess i just suck at searching. :D

I had issues "seeing" the silver briefcase but the way I found it was I stood away from the town/village, only about 50 metres and pressed the "." on numpad which you use to have a strategic overview/control. In this view move the circle on screen around the town, it names all objects as you move it around, even through walls etc. I ended up seeing "Suitcase" I think it was and so I stayed targeted on that and moved towards it. I found it laying on the ground in tall grass inside a ruined building, damn it was well hidden :-)

Wiper .... check your PM. Have sent you the High Command version of Cipher :)

Thanks DogTags. Will test that.

Gave it a go just earlier and when i finally got to search there was a shilka and a damn mi24 totally obliterating my squad and myself lol. Briefcase was supposed to be at the airfield. Shilka on one side doing the ol' hide and seek (im doin the hiding ofcourse...) and a mi24 from the other side coming and blasting.

Very hard. But then again i appreciate the randomness, and missions arent always completed in real life. :)

Alex

Interesting thing. May I strongly suggest though, that you give some of the squad AT weapons at the start? One, it's not intuitively obvious that the truck has SMAW tubes for you to use, and two, the game tells you that you're probably going to need AT capability so having to tell your guys to pick the weapons up manually is just tedious.

And I also couldn't exit the mission, the helo refused to lift off. In the name of experimentation I tried shooting the pilot after waiting for a few minutes, but you didn't allow the player to fly the thing. This bug desperately needs to be fixed, since it can be a very long mission that is likely to get interrupted by save/load at some point.

just installed the mission to the game tried it and it runs so ill check it out later tonight

Hi folks,

just back from a short break i desperatly needed, sigh :)

just started a new game, and the objective was on the island offshore. don't believe there's any way to get out there? are there boats hidden around? also, in this case the green insertion point marker was in the wrong place. it was on the island too, not where i spawned on the coast.

i restarted, and the insertion marker was in the right place this time...

no boats and such.

Sounds very odd, this should not happen at all. It indicates the whole initialization process didnt kick in at mission start.

What version of 'Cipher' did you start first, v1.19 ? Did you play in SP or MP environment ?

I did have issues at end of mission as I mentioned before where we all get in the chopper and sit there for ages, nothing happens. I had to shoot the pilot and fly off myself :D

I installed 1.19 and loaded the save and still the same thing, I then assumed I had to restart so I am now on a new mission and will let you know if I get extracted successfully this evening.

Yes, 1.19 should have fixed the 'end mission stall' once and forever. But it definitely needs a new mission start if you have saved a pre v1.19 game, as all elements responsible for that part are stored within the save game.

Also don't forget the radio jamming scenario

won't ;-)

But first we should have fixed all basic quirks and inconveniences for the mission as it is right now I suggest (see below). If it plays well and without stoppers (like the tedious mission 'none-end') I'm right into adding that stuff. Don't forget that new content needs testing & fixing again, most probably ending up in days to spend in fixing all quirks again.

It might be not very obvious where the suitcase actually is but there are some techniques Arma2 offers that may help us a bit (see DogTags reply for that quote). However I'm pretty aware of that issue and still am unsure to keep that part in as the mission primary. That relativley small object (suitcase), random placed, combined with some still present quirks in Arma2 may be not really realizable in a solid way.

I'm hoping to find out more about it by listening to all responses, but clearly needs a bunch of them to provide for a proper "statistical evidence".

Sometimes the suitcase even slips under a wooden plank near a hut f.e.

Another time it lays on top of a cement storage silo and can be seen using the tac view. But what if the player uses expert difficulty mode (no tac view) ?

Always a good indication is the insane general ! You know him as the brass guy with the leather holster and fur collar. The suitcase always should be present within some meters radius of that guy :-)

Reminds me to put some pictoral content into the mission...

Interesting thing. May I strongly suggest though, that you give some of the squad AT weapons at the start? One, it's not intuitively obvious that the truck has SMAW tubes for you to use, and two, the game tells you that you're probably going to need AT capability so having to tell your guys to pick the weapons up manually is just tedious.

Good point, thanks!

I had that mentioned in the breifing once but it slipped through due to a yet hidden "iron man" mode insides the mission code. I will put that back into the briefing for the next update.

However, the huge content of the weapon cargo is almost the one and only reason for that truck being present in Cipher.

And I also couldn't exit the mission, the helo refused to lift off.

What version of the mission did you play ? That should have been a fixed after v1.18.

Apparently I have 1.18. I'll get the latest. You're averaging a version a day it seems :P

High Command version of Cipher
i want too ^^:bounce3:

Apparently I have 1.18. I'll get the latest. You're averaging a version a day it seems :P

Yes, right at the moment after 2 days its still a pretty fresh release suffering from similar releasing issues like much other releases as well i guess... plus its my very first public one and I'm learning a lot for publishing at all, it seems :)

Expect a new version within the next hours or days.

Adding some briefing stuff plus Mr_Centipeds HCS that will make it into, im sure (already is but needs MP testing).

Have fun playing 'Cipher' v1.19 though !

Little more info in the notes maybe (images) could be nice.

But i have to agree that i havent had that much time these days so i played it half arsed. However i keep testing it so i do like it. Gonna give 1.19 a go now. I ofcourse never checked the truck for launchers before... duh. Something i ALWAYS do normally lol. Just shows i havent had quality time to spend playing since i started to test this mission.

Now i got more meat on my legs and will do a test run. :)

Thanks for updating and shaping this mission.

Alex

Hello Wiper,

First off, I love your mission. very cool idea.

I played it twice last night, and while everything does seem to be working correctly I keep running into an issue where I cannot interact with the silver case at all.

I restarted the mission and played through a second time but I was still unable to pickup/open the silver case.

I'm using your 1.19ver and I'm not running any other mods.

Oh! also I'm using it as a SP mission.

Any thoughts?