Sign in to follow this  
skypine27

Quad SLI (Two Questions)

One:

Anyone tried Quad SLI (ie 2 x 295GTXs) with Arma II?

What are your opinions on it?

and Two:

Can it be done with 2, different GTX295's? The one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168

is discontinued now, so I'll have to buy a different one.

Does it matter if its a different brand, as well as have slightly different clock speeds?

That would be a waste of money, theres no game out that needs quad sli. Arma2 needs CPU power not gpu. I've got a 295 and maybe 2years on I might think about another.

Unless you are trying to run an array of 30" monitors, there's absolutely no point in getting multiple GTX295s. It's debatable whether you really need one.

Thanks for the info guys.

The question was somewhat academic (though I have been known to waste my money to the point I'd actually try something like this).

I am just curious if you can do it with 2 different brands, and 2 slightly different clock speeds, of 295GTXs.

Think about it.

Not sure what you mean by mixed 260 drivers. The card I would add (if I were to do this) would be another 295GTX, though it would be a slightly different model.

Are you saying the new 295GTXs have the new 260s in them?

Thanks

Nvidia added support for the 260-192 and the 260-216 so they can SLI together, so I'm saying "maybe" they will add this feature for your mixed 295's in the future.

I am just curious if you can do it with 2 different brands, and 2 slightly different clock speeds, of 295GTXs.

Yes you can mix brands lol .

About the clockspeed , i think your other card will run at the clockspeed of the lower clocked card.

Not sure though. But it works, i'm 100% sure of that. Same clockspeed or not.

p.s: How do that quad sli is working out for you with arma 2 ? (Richard)

Edited by Game__On

Mixed brands and clock speeds are ok. Even mixing memory sizes are fine, although you end up with the lowest one (320MB 880GTS and 640MB 8800GTS could be SLI'd together as if it were 2 320MB 8800GTS'). If you are mixing clock speeds though the only thing is that it automatically defaults to the lower speed of the two, although overclocking it shouldn't be a problem.

Even the original 8800GTS 640MB could be SLI'd with the upgraded 8800GTS 640MB that had more steam processors (96 in the original, 112 in the newer).

Edited by BOTA:49

Unless you play at 2560 x 1920, there is no point in 2 x 295s. Further, the GT300 is not far off (and the new DX11 ATI cards arrive in ~2 weeks) so I wouldn't invest in 295s at this point.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I already have one GTX295 (see sig), so the investment would only be for one additional card.

Still thinking about it. Building my new i7 system tomorrow to see how Arma II plays on it.

I already have one GTX295 (see sig), so the investment would only be for one additional card.

Still thinking about it. Building my new i7 system tomorrow to see how Arma II plays on it.

Yep, I saw your sig.

Again, unless you are playing at 2560 x 1920 (which you aren't with a 26" monitor), an additional 295 is a waste of money.

My rig is overkill at that res tbh.

Edited by BangTail

Yep, I saw your sig.

Again, unless you are playing at 2560 x 1920 (which you aren't with a 26" monitor), an additional 295 is a waste of money.

now now, he can use more fillters, and 200% fill. I would never say buying more uber H/W is a waste. and getting 100fps in the citys is a good thang. tho i think trisli OC 285s is better...

now now, he can use more fillters, and 200% fill. I would never say buying more uber H/W is a waste. and getting 100fps in the citys is a good thang. tho i think trisli OC 285s is better...

Well, its his cash at the end of the day. I'll hold out for 2 x GT300 (flagship) myself.

Eth

Well, its his cash at the end of the day. I'll hold out for 2 x GT300 (flagship) myself.

Eth

that should be a good setup, but then ill already have my 58XX_X2's... haha because they are "not need for this game".... Mo Power!

Wasting money on upgrades all the time bugs me about computer games. Sure I can afford it by far, but spending money everytime a new GFX Card arrives doesn't exactly help me in real life with anything. So for the OP be happy with what you got in your setup for now =). Just put the money in the bank and watch it grow (though really can't say that it will grow right now lol).

Wasting money on upgrades all the time bugs me about computer games. Sure I can afford it by far, but spending money everytime a new GFX Card arrives doesn't exactly help me in real life with anything. So for the OP be happy with what you got in your setup for now =). Just put the money in the bank and watch it grow (though really can't say that it will grow right now lol).

It's not wasting if you enjoy it.

Hell I enjoy getting new gear, tweaking on it and running benchmarks and stuff almost as much as I like gaming itself.

Unless you play at 2560 x 1920, there is no point in 2 x 295s. Further, the GT300 is not far off (and the new DX11 ATI cards arrive in ~2 weeks) so I wouldn't invest in 295s at this point.

Eth

That wasn't even relevant to my post, was it? :confused:

I run a Phenom II 955 and use two 9800GX2's and on any game i can play them at 3840x1024 triple head with no problems whatsoever!

Then Arma 2 came along and spoilt that.... the biggest res i can use with decent frame rates and all settings on normal is 1280x1024, and belive it or not the frame rates get better when i take one of the cards out.

My PC scored over 17000 points in 3DMARK and its not even overclocked so I have no idea why this game runs so poorly compared to the others i have.

Very frustraiting as when i play it i do enjoy it... but at the same time i know it could be so much better !!

that should be a good setup, but then ill already have my 58XX_X2's... haha because they are "not need for this game".... Mo Power!

Rumours indicate that the GT300 Flagship will demolish the RV870. Time will tell :)

@ Ice Raver - Yah, I love new tech as well, I just dont see the point in buying a 295 with new tech so close at hand :)

Eth

Rumours indicate that the GT300 Flagship will demolish the RV870. Time will tell :)

@ Ice Raver - Yah, I love new tech as well, I just dont see the point in buying a 295 with new tech so close at hand :)

Eth

Nope, I'm waiting for the 300's myself. Then I plan to retire one of my 280's to a dedicated phys x & run sli 300's.

The other 280 will go to my boys computer.

That wasn't even relevant to my post, was it? :confused:

Fixed. Sorry about that :)

Edited by BangTail

Hey man, what you play with that hotas setup ? (just clicked on your sig)

Just finished building this system yesterday. When I originally made this post, I was playing with an X48 mobo, QX9770, 8gb of ram, and a GTX295.

Now, Im running the new system (kept the old video card in it though). And I STILL get choppy frame rates at times in ARMAII. Thats why Im still thinking of adding a 2nd GTX295. Unsure if that will help though.

Thanks guys