Sign in to follow this  
Bunny75

Sector control in MP and COOP

I'm obviously quite beginner at scripting and have strugled to get my MP mission working quite awhile. So I hope someone could help.

I'm working on a mission where only west can capture sectors, moving respawn point forward sector by sector like and east's respawn moves accordingly backwards. So i't like a push mode mission, but only for one direction. This was meant to be made to COOP also.

In every sector I have a trigger:

Seized by: BLUFOR repeatedly

on act: [1]exec"sectorCheck.sqs";

(number of sector from 1 to 3. 0 is carrier where you begin)

sectorCheck.sqs contains:

_sectorNr = _this select 0

if (_sectorNr == 1) then {goto "capture1"}; 
if (_sectorNr == 2) then {goto "capture2"}; 
if (_sectorNr == 3) then {goto "capture3"}; 

#capture1
deleteVehicle sectorTrigger_1
"respawn_west" setMarkerPos getMarkerPos "sector_1"
"sector_1" setMarkerType "hd_flag"
hint "Sector 1 captured"
exit

#capture2
_mType = getMarkerType "sector_1";
if(_mType == "hd_flag")}then{
deleteVehicle sectorTrigger_2;
"respawn_west" setMarkerPos getMarkerPos "sector_2";
"sector_2" setMarkerType "hd_flag";
hint "Sector 2 captured"; 
exit;
}else{
hint "Capture sector 1 first!"; 
exit;
};

#capture3
_mType = getMarkerType "sector_2"; 
if(_mType == "hd_flag")}then{
deleteVehicle sectorTrigger_3;
"respawn_west" setMarkerPos getMarkerPos "sector_3";
"sector_3" setMarkerType "hd_flag";
hint "Sector 3 captured"; 
exit;
}else{
hint "Capture sector 2 first!"; 
exit;
};

sector_1 - 3 are markers where the respawn_west marker is positioned after capture. The marker type checking is the latest one which I tried and I can't get it to work like anything else I tried. I can capture any flag no matter in which order.

So my problem is:

- What is wrong with that script?

- If thats not doable then how can I make a global variable that the script checks and decides if I can capture certain sector? I used to know how to do this in OFP, but can't get anything work now.

- I tried to make those global variables to init.sqf (the one thats loaded at the beginning of the game) simply by sectorCaptured = 1; but with no success. Is the init .sqf or .sqs and what's the difference?

And majorly

- What do I have to add to the scripts or in the ditor if I make a MP or COOP? I added the game logic in the editor, but do I have to write something into it? What do I have to consider when making scripts?

Just have the trigger activate once. Have the activation trigger a variable change, which later zones will require in their condition. For some reason I can only get boolean to work on trigger condition - though I can change any definition in the activation and have a script work from it. Don't know what to do there...

For MP, isServer will need to execute a publicVariable, with an addPublicEventHandler telling the client what must happen (exec a script I assume, using switch or if or the like to update according to variable), and an onPlayerConnected reference.

You are missing a ton of semi-colons in the code, for example on line 1. That'd be a good start to fixing it ;)

Plus it seems to be both sqs and sqf combined? Not good. Make it sqf only and delete the icky gotos...

Secondly, by the sounds of the design, I would advice using multiple instances of the same script and simple sending [previoustrigger,previousmarker,newspawnposition] to it as this would be the same for all flags (for the first flag, values are null).

For MP, markers are global (unless you use the local command) so they should update. I think the trigger is global? Hint however is not, so that you need to broadcast to everyone on the server.