Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Discussions/Dialogue/Talking

Is there a way to make an entire discussion occur in one trigger?

Ex. After the town is clear

Alpha: Good job Bravo!

Bravo: Thanks Alpha you too!

Alpha: You guys got all the kills.

Bravo: No thats not true I saw you guys get 1.

I normally have to set it up so the one trigger trips the first one and then set a delay in a second trigger from when the first one trips, put another sidechat command in there and so on.

Is there anyway to do it with one trigger? If not could someone post an example of a script with the following:

Man1 talking

Delay

Man2 talking

Delay

Man1 talking

From that I should be able to figure out the pattern and make my own. I tried a search for this on all 3 editing sections (ofp, arma, arma II) but I couldn't narrow down results very well since discussions, dialogue, talking and script are all quite common.

You could just make the trigger execute a script >.>

SQF:

man1 say/sideChat/groupChat/whatever "dialogue...";
sleep 5;  // <- 5sec delay
man2...

Example from a mission of mine:

sSL sideRadio "23";
sleep 5;
Rettenger sideChat "Negative, Cobra 1. What few fast movers we have ready are currently assisting Jackal and Kobal. It's hell in Berezino right now. You'll have to improvise, over.";
sleep 8;
Gabranth sideRadio "2";
sleep 4;
Rettenger sideChat "Copy that, Gabranth. Rettenger out.";
sleep 3;
Gabranth sideRadio "3";
sleep 4;
sSL sideRadio "24";
sleep 7;
Gabranth sideRadio "4";

The numbers after sideRadio are just the filenames for the voice-overs. They aren't all done so a few characters still use sideChat til its filled.

Edited by JDog

Thanks guys I ran into a bit of a problem though. All of my dialogue appears at the same time. This is the code:

chat1.sqf

hindgunner sideChat "Welcome aboard sir, how are you today?";
sleep 3;  // <- 5sec delay
player "Tired, how about you?";
sleep 3;
hindgunner sidechat "I'm tired too sir and on top of that they only gave us one 
missile. What kind of crap is that?";
sleep 5;
player sidechat "I would rather have the one missile than smack into a cliff 
because we're too heavy.";
sleep 3;
hindgunner sidechat "Fair enough sir.";

place a sideChat command after "player" in line 3. That might be causing it, I'm surprised it's continuing past that at all and not resulting in some run-time error and stopping at that line.

place a sideChat command after "player" in line 3. That might be causing it, I'm surprised it's continuing past that at all and not resulting in some run-time error and stopping at that line.

Oh geez, sorry I didn't catch that.

It is still happening though.

I just made an empty mission with 2 units named player and hindgunner, copy-pasta'd that exact script you posted there (added the sideChat in third line) and it worked perfectly on first try.

EDIT: Just tried something... are you executing like this? Cuz I just tried this and that caused all the text to come up at once:

[]exec "chat1.sqf";

If so, then that is the problem. Do This:

nul=[]execVM "chat1.sqf";

I just made an empty mission with 2 units named player and hindgunner, copy-pasta'd that exact script you posted there (added the sideChat in third line) and it worked perfectly on first try.

EDIT: Just tried something... are you executing like this? Cuz I just tried this and that caused all the text to come up at once:

[]exec "chat1.sqf";

If so, then that is the problem. Do This:

nul=[]execVM "chat1.sqf";

Thank you that was it. I was going to ask about that next.