Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

YAWN! Another "PC Gaming is Dead" article...

It's only a small fraction of what it used to be, but it can't get any worse than this.

I was pretty dissapointed to hear that Alan Wake wont come to the PC anymore, not because i will have to play it on the console, but because the game will probably be alot more mainstream (=simpler) then.

There are other examples of this, but i cant be arsed to remember them.

The PC will more and more become a tool for the so called Core-Gamers, whereas the growing target group, the leisure gamers, will fully migrate to the consoles.

The PC will more and more become a tool for the so called Core-Gamers, whereas the growing target group, the leisure gamers, will fully migrate to the consoles.

According to the article its the other way around though, with mums playing bejeweled on some random site and then moving on to the Sims.

Though i think they didnt take us simulator-fans into account who need more then then just a handful controllerbuttons. :p

I think it's been a great year for PC Games :

STALKER Clear Sky

Fallout 3

Empire total war

Far Cry 2

ArmA 2

Sims 3

Company of Heroes : ToV

Red Alert 3

Left 4 dead

Spore

The list goes on.

Yeah, I don't get it, I think we've never had it so good. The proportion of sales for PC over console might be declining but surely both divisions of the market are still growing? Personally I think of consoles as an entirely different product more akin to home exercise videos or the like, not gaming as I know it.

I think the future of gaming lays in the gaming companys hands. I think a lot could be learned if they took a few pointers from Blizzard. Funny because i don't even like WOW but they way they run their setup is almost flawless. I think that contributes A LOT to their success.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Can i also add this.

Take Arma2 for example. I paid 50 bucks for this game and ill tell you what from day 1 with all the programming issues i am disappointed. When BIS releases its next game do you really think that i am going to run out to the store to give them even more money ? Hell no. I believe that this is where pirate's start coming in.

To me: I don't expect a game to be 100% but i also dont expect to , like someone else said "pay to play a beta." If i know the company is a stand up company then i have no problem giving them my money. As far as BIS goes so far ill save my money or something else.

Edited by Indecisi0n

I think it's been a great year for PC Games :

Red Alert 3

The list goes on.

Red Alert 3 is a great example of dying PC gaming. It's just a crappy game to milk money with C&C name and the sluts added for extra sales.

I think that is more to do with said publisher not the overall scheme of things.

Company of Heroes : ToV

I wouldn't call that a game. Even if it's stand-alone it's barely an addon at best.

Now, you also forgot Men of War... it too has a stand-alone expansion on the way. Between MoW and CoH, I think the world has enough WWII RTS games, so I think it's about time people stop people stop making new ones and try something else... maybe then we'll see some more good games of other genres.

the future in pc games lies in making more opengl stuff.. soon there will be more mac's, more linux, more windows as well actually... but its stupid to only focus on the windows platform.

and PC gaming will never die.. why? Console is great for social gaming, like the wii.. but so many other games are better on PC. RTS, Puzzles, Adventure, FPS and so on..

...and PC gaming will never die.. why? Console is great for social gaming, like the wii.. but so many other games are better on PC. RTS, Puzzles, Adventure, FPS and so on..

Agreed.

For me, I never got into console gaming. Been gaming on the PC since the Wolfenstein 3d days. Long live PC gaming!!!

As long as there are PC's in households, the gaming industry will cater for that.

Not sure if any of you saw the recent announcement but activision plans to hike its price by a further £10 for Modern Warfare 2. (Total game price £55)

It is seen by many as a test to see what the gamers will put up with. I am very glad it's a console game!

Which leads me on to my point, which is, console games generally are more expensive so while consoles are popular if they continue to hike the prices up console gamers will undoubtably notice PC games on the other shelf being cheaper and look just as good if not better.

Seems to me price hiking will only push people to either stick with their PC or move from the console to a pc.

You can read about the price hike here.

Im not complaining here, pretty much all the high profile stuff still comes out for the PC, even GTA IV ended up on the PC.

The PC exclusives keep getting worse every year though, Stalker CS was so badly bugged i ended up shelving it by the 3rd level.. Arma II just came out pretty rough overall too. I dont think im the only one who noticed multiplatform games or console ports surpassing the quality of PC exclusives, unfortunetly these are not supported all that well. Consoles sell alot but the current gen is far from selling as much as the previous did, the craplatforms such as the Wii and handheld stuff also take alot of the console sales.

But every big title ends up on the PC, sooner or later, many are even multiplatform.

2009's been weak so far, so much that i decided to try some old stuff. I did Assassins Creed recently (console port) and it turned out i almost missed a really beautyfull game, looks real good and even has a DX10 render mode, MSAA and all.

Im anticipating a few titles for 2010, the new AvP and ofcourse.. Mafia 2, both coming for the PC, dont know about Alan Wake, heard about it for many years now and never understood what was so special about it.. i think the PC is doing rather well and im not talking about the Sims, Wow or any of that freak stuff.

If theres one thing to complain about its the quality of PC exclusives sinking bellow console ports... but that is understandable.

but so many other games are better on PC. RTS

I think that's the biggest reason why I was able to convince one of my friends (who had been a console gamer) to buy a PC.

Also I think PC games are becoming a lot more social than they used to be... the same way that console games have become more online oriented. They still don't come close to console games but IMO PC is looking more and more appealing to console gamers.

I have been seeing comments and articles about PC IS DYING for years and years, and yet... its still here! :rolleyes: