Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: F2 Mission Development Framework (BAS f for ArmA 2)

respawn=SIDE (or 5) will allow you to teach switch at will to whatever unit you want, so you are not forced to switch to the one the game chooses for you. That also means you can switch without dying or killing yourself, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you want your mission to play like. Generally it's a nice thing to be able to switch to AI to prevent them from doing things you don't want them to (like blowing up satchels prematurely) or make them do things they wouldn't have done otherwise (like using AT quickly and effectively). The bad thing is that it feels a bit less immersive, but tbh it's not a lot less immersive than the respawn=TEAM (or 4) option.
    You don't mess with the Zohar!
    YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
    ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info
    Check out and support upcoming Ground Branch: http://www.groundbranch.com/

Private First Class
    Thanks for the heads up Zohar

Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    Would be nice if there was some way to have a different weapon list for different factions in the briefing screen. Still hadn't found a solution for that.
    At this moment I am not sure if you can run an IF statement in the description.ext, since that's where you'd want to detect the player's side/faction and #include a different set of gear snippets. The ShackTactical Assign Gear component is set up to provide different weapons loadouts for each faction (which you can easily tweak), and you could supplement this with custom-filled crates at the respective starting locations.

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    Is this the built in stuff or scripted? Because while playing Domination everyone in the rain area will end up complaining about it at the same time from what I remember?
    Built in stuff - unless this has changed in a recent update, we believe that the storm conditions are not accurately synchronised across clients.

Quote Originally Posted by ethne View Post
    I'm guessing your briefing has to be modified to work with JIP/respawn? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong I only tinkered with it briefly, but I noticed when I respawned my briefing was gone.
    Although briefing should work with JIP, it's not specifically designed to work with respawn at present. If you're running a respawn mission and already executing code to re-arm/equip the player, simply re-use the execVM line from the init.sqf that calls briefing.sqf. If you are using tasks you may need to insert additional code that checks custom variables / conditions in order to set their status accurately for JIP/respawned clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocal View Post
    EDIT: I tried to put this in a respawn mission. That was my mistake. I'm leaving it here so others can learn. Having problems with the casualty cap and casualty cap advanced. Tried running both, the advanced version would abort your primary objective, fail your secondary and give a new task to extract, the other would kick in with more casualties and end the mission right then and there. But for some reason it keeps firing right as it's initialized or shortly thereafter. ArmA.rpt gives me this: .. STUFF .. Along with a debug mode error that seems to popup regardless of what I'm running or not running in the framework. I made sure to put down the Function module, although I have my own custom groups, which I've put in the applicable init.sqf section. Anyone else run into this problem?
    Apocal, I'm afraid it's very unclear what issue you are running into. Neither of the Casualty Cap components should do anything WRT your objectives unless you have inserted custom code (one creates/calls an end trigger, the other actually does nothing until you insert your own code in the relevant file, as indicated in the manual).

Quote Originally Posted by AF-Killer View Post
    I did a basic edit of the default mission and grouped the Bluefor fireteams into platoon/squad strength for Alpha Bravo and Charlie, and changed the respawn to option 4 (group). 3 Human players each leading a platoon/squad with about 12 men each.... on respawn only one of us was still in charge of their group, the other two were just team members, not team leaders. Any ideas.
    This sounds odd (and more likely ArmA 2 related); have you checked that all the units are set to Playable in the editor following your re-organisation of the groups?

Cheers for the quick response mate

It's not to rearm etc, just that the guys that are respawning aren't seeing the briefing anymore. I'll mess about with it some more.

Eth
    Last edited by BangTail; Jul 29 2009 at 01:30.
    Lest you forget, Mr. Hunter, we are a ship of war, designed for battle.

You don't just fight battles when everything is hunky-dory.

What'd you think, son? I was just some crazy old coot putting everyone in harm's way as I yell "yee-haw"?

Capt. Frank Ramsey
    USS Alabama (SSBN 731)

Quote Originally Posted by Fer View Post
    Apocal, I'm afraid it's very unclear what issue you are running into.
    My bad.

Both versions of the casualty cap fire shortly after mission start. For the regular version, this ends the mission immediately. When I commented out the regular version and left advanced, it fired the custom code immediately. Custom groupIDs were used. They were set to different percentages.

I suspect very strongly it's because they conflicted with respawns.

Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    Both versions of the casualty cap fire shortly after mission start. For the regular version, this ends the mission immediately. When I commented out the regular version and left advanced, it fired the custom code immediately. Custom groupIDs were used. They were set to different percentages. I suspect very strongly it's because they conflicted with respawns.
    First thing to do is this:

1. Enable only one of the Casualty Cap components.
    2. Set it to fire only on 100% casualties.
    3. Run the the mission in F2 Debug Mode.
    4. Monitor the sidechat to see what values it gives for the variables "_grps" "_started" and "_remaining".

What you should see is a list of your named groups (_grps) (assuming they are not empty), then an initial count for units in those groups (_started) and then a count for currently alive units in those groups (_remaining). This should help narrow down the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer View Post
    First thing to do is this:

1. Enable only one of the Casualty Cap components.
    2. Set it to fire only on 100% casualties.
    3. Run the the mission in F2 Debug Mode.
    4. Monitor the sidechat to see what values it gives for the variables "_grps" "_started" and "_remaining".

What you should see is a list of your named groups (_grps) (assuming they are not empty), then an initial count for units in those groups (_started) and then a count for currently alive units in those groups (_remaining). This should help narrow down the issue.
    I don't actually see those variables (perhaps chat won't scroll enough?), but I do see a listing of all my named groups (f_var_groups_BLU), another listing of all the OPFOR groups in the mission (f_var_groups_OPF) and yet another listing for both together (f_var_groups). A final listing is called '_grpstemp = [ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY]'

Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    I don't actually see those variables (perhaps chat won't scroll enough?), but I do see a listing of all my named groups (f_var_groups_BLU), another listing of all the OPFOR groups in the mission (f_var_groups_OPF) and yet another listing for both together (f_var_groups). A final listing is called '_grpstemp = [ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY,ANY]'
    PageUp/PageDown will allow you to scroll through the sidechat. Are you running this test on a dedicated server, or hosting on your own machine (this is a local host test, sorry if I did not mention it before)?

Even if the Casualty Cap were to fire on its first count, you would still see sidechat messages for "_started" and "_remaining" a least once.

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    Is this the built in stuff or scripted? Because while playing Domination everyone in the rain area will end up complaining about it at the same time from what I remember?
    This is because Domination and Evolution uses a trigger-based weather, just covering a certain area, and it tells all clients in that zone what their weather should be.

That is not the same as a mission-specific weather that covers the whole map.

Neither of the weather systems are automatically synced, but the first does so per design. One can sync the weather across all clients otherwise as well if one wants to, but it has to be specifically coded to do so, since it doesn't happen automatically.

Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkompetent View Post
    Neither of the weather systems are automatically synced, but the first does so per design. One can sync the weather across all clients otherwise as well if one wants to, but it has to be specifically coded to do so, since it doesn't happen automatically.
    To your knowledge, does the code-driven synching extend to cover aspects of storms like lightning and rain? Naturally one can re-broadcast weather settings from the server, but to my knowledge there is no direct control over those two details.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast