Sign in to follow this  
xxSlyViPeRxx

What Else Can I Do?

Guys,

This is my first post here and I feel I just need to ask why this game refuses to play well on my system.

Spec:

i7 920 OC 3.7Ghz

6GB DDR3 Dominator

Asus P6T Deluxe

EVGA GTX 295 - NV 190.38

Dual Monitor setup - Dell 2407 & Dell 1907

Basically I am having all sorts of problems be it crashing to desktop, but the main problem is that no matter what I do I can not get this game to run over 30fps.

Even when I put all the settings to low it still runs at about 29fps, what gives?

I have tried everything, -winxp, -maxmem2047, altering the .cfg, downloading EVGA SLi enhancement but the game still runs terribly.

I would have given up a long time ago but I really like the game.

If there is any advice left then I am all ears but I feel the only solution is for a further patch.

Edited by xxSlyViPeRxx

There are other posts here with system exhitibing the same issues. If it was solid 29fps then most gamers would be ok with that but as it dips and rises in random areas but more likely dips in and near towns then it doesn't help gameplay.

Do a search as another user also posted the same (may be similar system) and tested lots of different resolutions.

For me, I have now turned Post Processing off which helped although the PP should have been masking the low FPS.

But like many here, the magic 1.03 patch of all patches that is being secretly worked on is going to be the one that makes everyone forget all the issues they had, and we will look back in 6 months time and laugh at these posts... all mine included.

ouch! an expensive rig with 30 fps? i get that on my rig. Check other posts, i think there is a new driver for your nVidia card.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ! How many times do we need to tell people this. The software is broken so i don't care what you do the problem will not be fixed.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ! How many times do we need to tell people this. The software is broken so i don't care what you do the problem will not be fixed.

Indeed they should make a sticky telling people to stop waisting there time on trying to fix something that is broken in the core. The dice is lying on BIS their side of the table.

Guys,

This is my first post here and I feel I just need to ask why this game refuses to play well on my system.

Spec:

i7 920 OC 3.7Ghz

6GB DDR3 Dominator

Asus P6T Deluxe

EVGA GTX 295 - NV 190.38

Dual Monitor setup - Dell 2407 & Dell 1907

Basically I am having all sorts of problems be it crashing to desktop, but the main problem is that no matter what I do I can not get this game to run over 30fps.

Even when I put all the settings to low it still runs at about 29fps, what gives?

I have tried everything, -winxp, -maxmem2047, altering the .cfg, downloading EVGA SLi enhancement but the game still runs terribly.

I would have given up a long time ago but I really like the game.

If there is any advice left then I am all ears but I feel the only solution is for a further patch.

Don't feel bad man I get about the same. 25-35.

I've tweaked settings till I'm blue in the face and I get about the same performance on high, normal and low.

Strange

Indeed they should make a sticky telling people to stop waisting there time on trying to fix something that is broken in the core. The dice is lying on BIS their side of the table.

Don't see how you can say it's broken when it's not. :confused:

The VAST majority of the problems are hardware related , NOT software.

I'm getting a fairly regular 35 - 50 FPS (using FRAPS to measure) on my system which is WAY below the OP's specs with settings between normal and high and 100% fill.

So . if I can get this with my hardware , if you can't get the same or better with a higher end system the only things that comes to mind are hardware issues.

Two camps, those who feel the game is working as it should and the FPS are what you should expect for such a complex game with some graphical improvements over ArmA 1, the other camp do not... :) Hardware aside, the game is not running as it should (i'm on that camp).

I'm getting a fairly regular 35 - 50 FPS (using FRAPS to measure) on my system which is WAY below the OP's specs with settings between normal and high and 100% fill.

So . if I can get this with my hardware , if you can't get the same or better with a higher end system the only things that comes to mind are hardware issues.

35 - 50 FPS on a system way below those specs you say? I want to see a screen shot of that. Even my squadmate running a system similar to mine on SLI doesn't get 50 FPS unless you are talking about on the loading screen.

No way your getting 50 fps in game on high man.

Well I dont have any problems with any other games only this one.

How could you even say its my hardware. I have been building computers for a long time and can assure you there is nothing wrong with my hardware.

Same with me, I am stuck with 25 - 35 FPS, no matter, what I turn on or off and tweak and edit... It's is even worse here, freezes or CTDs every 15 to 20 minutes... I stopped trying weeks ago...

I got an i7 920@3600, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, 6 GB OCZ Reaper, XFX GTX285 Black Edition and a 4 x 1 TB RAID 0. Win 7 64 RC1.

Since I don't have any other issues on that computer, I doubt very much, that there is a hardware related problem.

Praying for that magic patch appearing soon...

Om mani padme hum.

Many people have reported problems with the 295, that driver is a bad choice as well. I'll never use a "2 in 1" card again after the FC2 fiasco with the 9800GX2.

Eth

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

By definition, it really can't be just the game. If it was purely the game, then it wouldn't work for EVERYONE, not just some people.

Mines the same, low fps and CTD's every 10-20 mins.

Been through the whole forum and tried every tweak and work around.

I managed to get the fps up a bit, and I only mean a bit, and I'm still plagued with the CTD's.

You'll hear everything from your memory is broken to you have a slow hardrive/bad sectors or your PSU ain't upto the job.

You'll be accused of having out of date drivers or that your set-up is overheating

The plain and simple truth is that Arma2 doesn't work on some hardware set-ups, period.

I personally believe, and have done for a long time now that it's something to do with the way it addresses memory that causes the CTD's.

Basically it fills your memory until it bursts and then CTD's.

Lower settings take longer to fill your memory so you get more playtime.

Welcome to our club where we only get to play the waiting game and not the BIS one.

Well, not until the 'magic patch' comes out anyway, and how long will that be and will it fix our problems?

That's a whole new debate.

Mines the same, low fps and CTD's every 10-20 mins.

Been through the whole forum and tried every tweak and work around.

I managed to get the fps up a bit, and I only mean a bit, and I'm still plagued with the CTD's.

You'll hear everything from your memory is broken to you have a slow hardrive/bad sectors or your PSU ain't upto the job.

You'll be accused of having out of date drivers or that your set-up is overheating

The plain and simple truth is that Arma2 doesn't work on some hardware set-ups, period.

I personally believe, and have done for a long time now that it's something to do with the way it addresses memory that causes the CTD's.

Basically it fills your memory until it bursts and then CTD's.

Lower settings take longer to fill your memory so you get more playtime.

Welcome to our club where we only get to play the waiting game and not the BIS one.

Well, not until the 'magic patch' comes out anyway, and how long will that be and will it fix our problems?

That's a whole new debate.

I've never experienced anything like you describe across 4 different systems. I'm not saying it doesn't happen btw, just that it hasn't happened to me or anyone that I play with.

Just saying.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I am patiently waiting for the next patch...

what Ethne (and a few others like him) is saying... he is one of the lucky few... very few... and the rest of us are all not very bright for buying the exact same setup he has and having the exact same drivers, operating system etc. that he has (oh wait... if we were on all the exact same machine, OS, etc... wouldn't that sort of be like playing on a console?? I LOVE MY PS3 by the way... not knocking consoles completely)

The idea of the PC is that NO TWO PEOPLE have the exact same setup PERIOD!!!!

I don't care if you both both identical machines at the store on the exact same day within minutes of each other....

There are differences in the CPU (however slight) differences in the GPU (however slight) in the Power Supply, and so on and so forth.... and the second you got home and hooked it all up and jumped on the internet and started your very first update of a driver, or installed your first software that didn't come on the machine... or deleted some OEM gunk crap software off the machine...

NO TWO SYSTEMS are IDENTICAL period!!!

I agree with the supposition that there is something screamingly wrong with the way the game addresses memory PERIOD

GPU usage never seems to hit 100% no matter what graphic settings are set at... yet framerates suffer... I have 4GB of RAM, some people have the same or even more... the game cannot access more than 2047MB... not even the full 2GB... it locks at -1...

but it doesn't even access all of that... many people have checked their RAM usage under load in the game and it usually never uses more than 1GB, yet the game runs sluggishly for a large number of users...

It completely throws loads of pressure on CPUs and HDD... People are spending thousands of dollars on machines with lots of RAM, nice powerful video cards, and it's all wasted money so far, because the game is stuck in some memory bogged down hell...

I love the whole series... I have All of the Operation Flashpoint games, I have ARMA, and I got ARMA II because my friends and I love to play together... (Time Zone Warriors big time friends with most of BAS and with the 504) we love our multiplayer gaming sessions... we anxiously awaited ARMA II because ARMA was so buggy for some of our players... I am not an ARMA hater... I so much want to love this game...

Unfortunately... stuttering and framerate chugging ruins gameplay...

I would rather have a nice looking game... that plays....

Than a series of fantastic photos on my monitor... that move like a slideshow (exaggeration but used as an illustration)

I love FSX as well... and it is a framerate beast as well... but at least it recognizes all the RAM in my system... and utilizes it...

oh that must mean we are all either lying or hardcore hardware noobs then eth, that's basicly what we are being told when we are posting in these threads.

Tbh people who have the game running fine and don't believe there is anything wrong with the game itself should stay out. Unless they can help (which you have on the most part admittedly)

By posting problems other people are reading about other people having the same problems as they are getting, some have some hardware similarities, some dont.

Some recommend drivers that help, settings that help, some say its best to stop messing with your system until the game is performance patched.

Thats troubleshooting

Coming in and saying "theres nothing wrong with the game it works fine for me" isn't of any help at all. All it does is piss off the people with genuine problems.

Seems odd that the majority having problems seem to have Intel CPU's from what I've read.

Of course could also be that the majority are using Intel but still..raises an interesting question.

Coming in and saying "theres nothing wrong with the game it works fine for me" isn't of any help at all. All it does is piss off the people with genuine problems.

Of course you're right. We who are not having problems shouldn't clutter the forums (guess like I'm doing now..DOH!) for those who genuinely are having a problem. Guess it just kinda pisses me off too when people call it a POS jsut because THEY are having a problem.

Well it's me - OVER and OUT.

Hope you guys get it sorted out soon..

Edited by BeerHunter

ITS BROKEN ! that for one. Second i have been building pc's for many years now and trust me if there was something wrong with my hardware i would know. Third explain me why the hell all the other games that i play i can run without any problems and not Arma 2,

Games installed on my machine,

FSX

Men of War

Sacred 2

Velvet assasin

Assasin Creed

Theatre of war 2

Il 2 Sturmovik 1946

Demigod

Wow

Stalker Clearsky

GTA 4

Anno 1404

Empire totalwar

Red Orchestra

Arma 2

yeah my hardware is broken....... RIGHT

I recently upgraded my PC from a:

C2D e6600

4 gig 6400 DDr2

EVGA 8800 GTX

On win XP 32bit

to a:

Core I7 920 @ 3.2ghz

6 gig 1600 MHZ OCZ

2 x 4890 1 gig

on Win Vista 64 bit

I didnt see an improvement whatsoever with this game. Any other game (Including the dreaded Crysis runs perfectly). It hilarious how many Bohemia Fanboys cannot admit that this game is completely broken. After 10 Years of engine development Bohemia still cannot release an engine that runs good. The only consistent thing that i have noticed is really that the game is not optimized for multithreaded systems. Most of the people having performance problems have several core processors and multiple video cards. my 8800 GTX actually ran the game smoother than 2 4890's.

We can all hope that patch 1.03 improves performance and stability. However im not holding my breath. 10 Years of engine development has indicated otherwise.

I've got an i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz, 6GB 1600MHz OCZ ram, ATI 4890 on Windows 7 RC x64 and I get 60-150 fps (usually around 70-80 fps) on normal/high settings. No tweaking and no crashes.

Edited by sk3pt

I've got an i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz, 6GB 1600MHz OCZ ram, ATI 4890 on Windows 7 RC x64 and I get 60-150 fps (usually around 70-80 fps) on normal/high settings. No tweaking and no crashes.

Lucky you :)

I have my system (see sig) locked at 30 fps (see link in sig) and it rarely if ever dips below that. Flying around in the editor by myself with the frame rate unlocks/vsync off I get close to 150fps. The sim is broken for some, and totally not for others... so it's totally related to some specific hardware combinations and is thus difficult to peg down.

Give them time, if you can't give them time then just accept it and move on.

Some people have in fact found that helped. Others have found it's not needed, maybe in this case it is.