Sign in to follow this  
fallaura

Multiplayer - High Ping problem, need Help

Before Telling you my problem here's what I'm using:

RIG: Q8200 quad at 2.33 mhz / BFG maxcore 55 GTX 260 / 4 gigs ram GDDR3

Connection: WiMax 2 mbps download / 512 kbps upload. LOCATION: Quebec City, Canada.

Here's the problem: when I play Any other multiplayer games (ex. farcry 2, crysis, COD 4). My ping is always slightly higher than other players since I use a Wimax connection as opposed to a regular cable connection. (ex. 40 Ms vs 25 ms), but still the games are all very playable and stable in multiplayer. (I never get a ping higher than 120 when I play on North American servers.

but then there's ARMA II, I connect to a server with a 30 ms ping (example I even connected to a server located 200 km from me, in Montreal). And the game runs well for about 2 minutes.. and then my ping starts climbing, it eventually can climb up to 390 ms! and sometimes I get disconnected. When I reconnect to the server, same thing happens... 30-40 ms at the beginning and keeps climbing until I get booted off.

Like I said, I experience no multiplayer problems with ANY other games, so I'm wondering if there's a solution to my issue.. thanks in advance

P.S. here's a screenshoot of a connection test I just did.

525169794.png

I'm having this same exact problem, I would like to know why it's doing this!

Hello my WiMAX borthers, where the granite is too hard for Fiber Optics! I am 30min north of Toronto with WiMAX 3Mb/s down and 384Kb/s up. I get all of the weirdest problems on the net and it is mainly with arma, other games I rarely play (Latest tested Mechwarrior Living Legends Open Beta (sigh) with no problems what so ever). I've got nothing concrete, but I've been playing the ArmA series for 2 yeas and have seen many forums.

Some things which might help with WiMAX at least...

1. Bandwidth = keep an eye on the min and max values in the Player screen when it drops under 40 (as it always will at 6-11pm EST) you are looking to start seeing Desync and lag, i.e., AI doing the running man.

***note, ask other players who seem to have good connections, as once you are desynced, the player stats screen can become severely outdated...

2. Background Applications yea yea we all know, but keep in mind the autoupdaters, and auto online internet checks, disabling these or disallowing them through the firewall at peak times so as not to interfere has helped keep me from being banned (due to ping) a couple times...

3.Speed/freq of server updateStay out of fast movers with other players mounted, I've noticed that this is especially good at igniting a good desync.

I believe that our culprit is packet loss and an over loaded network (I know my tower is overloaded at peak times...)

IF anyone can help us out further it would be VERY much welcomed, as we really don't have a helping ISP, maybe a forum thread/topic called:

"Shitty Internet Sufferers in ARMA trying to connect, Pandora's hope needed"