Sign in to follow this  
chlywly

Terrible crackling sound in game and FPS DROP...

I'm at a loss... especially online and in some situations in single player, depending on where Im looking sometimes the game will simply drop to a CRAWL!!! like 1-5fps and the sound will crackle like crazy...

I have tried switching my X-Fi to a different slot with no luck. I'm also running a GTX295... It's driving me insane, nothing seems to help, and I have the latest drivers. This only seems to happen in Arma2....

I have an overlock, but its very stable and I get the same buzzing without... I Just got a new soundcard and same issue.... :(

Vista 64,

8 Gigs, ddr2 OCZ 1066

Q9950 @ 3.4ghz oc'd

GTX 295 SLI

I have an overlock, but its very stable and I get the same buzzing without... I Just got a new soundcard and same issue.... :(

Vista 64,

8 Gigs, ddr2 OCZ 1066

Q9950 @ 3.4ghz oc'd

GTX 295 SLI

Well first off: Did you take care of the 8GB RAM problem and got your SLI running smoothly (btw - real SLI => means 2*295? Or "just" one 295?)?

Second: If you got a soundproblem it'd be nice to know what your soundcard is, also ;)

I had a crackling issue and popping on previous driver sets, currently I use 6.0.1.1368 which work for me and I no longer get the crackling sound during or starting the game. May be worth a go.

For info. the latest drivers on Creatives site didn't work well for me and many other due to some odd behaviour when closing down windows (long delay trying to shut down).

I'm using Asus Xonar D2x sound-card (had a creative X-fi but getting rid of that, because I find its got lots of issues in Vista).... I have a single GTX295...

had same problem, switched my config to stereo speakers instead of 5.1 speakers and problem was resolved

had same problem, switched my config to stereo speakers instead of 5.1 speakers and problem was resolved

Config? How do you do that.... I only have 2.1 sound system.

You guys have speakers? Grab a head set for $30, take out the sound card and eliminate the problem.

I have on onboard card (Realtek HD or something) and I sometimes get the crackling and popping noise. For some reason it only happens in multiplayer.

I have on onboard card (Realtek HD or something) and I sometimes get the crackling and popping noise. For some reason it only happens in multiplayer.

Same, only in multiplayer... I'm wondering if it really has something to do with shared IRQ between sound/video and ethernet.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

I'm on an Asus Xonar d2x card now, not creative... I just got it a few days ago, same issue.

I recently noticed my sound setup was 2.1 instead of 5.1, and upon switching it to 5.1 the sound began popping and distorting. I switched back to 2.1 and it went away :/

It does work on 5.1 but only if I turn the hardware acceleration down to simple in the control panel...

Did you try tha latest beta patch?

P.S: Just wanted to let you know switching to Win7 fixed the crackling issues in Arma2.. However, now I'm crashing to desktop (while arma2 process still running) and no errors... constantly!!! aghhhh

No I have not tried the latest beta patch... Wouldn't this render multiplayer useless? Since the servers are likely not running a beta patch!?

Yeah I'm all Beta'd up to date, I'm not sure what's causing it but I'll test running 5.1 through my onboard to see if it crackles also.

I also have this sound problem, i think it started after i installed 1.03 patch, it happens randomly but its pretty annoying ._. i did not change my sound card (onboard) drivers so no clue what the problem is

Ok after searching i guess its a bug that came with 1.03 patch, isnt this worth a hotfix instead of waiting god-knows-how-long for the next patch ? ._.

Edited by nocturna