Sign in to follow this  
Dreossk

Stance indicator

IRL when I'm crouching of course I know it but in the game it's not always clear. We should have an icon of our character that shows the stance we are in. Of course we could turn this on/off in the options.

I don't know about the others, but I try to remember my stance, and if I actually forget it at times, it takes like 0,5 seconds to hold down Alt and move the mouse down to see what stance am I currently at.

Would be way too much unrealistic imho.

I don't think that hud is unrealistic when it shows what you would know using all your senses irl.

I remember my stance but some actions change your stance without you knowing. Like dunedain says, it's not unrealistic since you would know that IRL. And if you don't like it you turn it off.

If you play the game a bit longer you just know, partly because you have more experience and knows when what happens, and partly because you recognize the cameradistance distance above the ground. ;)

Yes, stuff like stance, how tired you are, which parts of your body aren't functioning properly are all stuff you would know IRL without looking/listening, and thus should be on the HUD in all difficulty levels.

Thumbs up! It doesn't take much space on the screen, and the difference between for example crouching and standing when jogging is so small that it can be hard to notice. The effects on stamina however varies quite a lot.

Seems to me that few casual+fun players wont get used to a HUD without consolish indicators. Highlighted and colorful keyicons anyone? Aimbots?

For sure such things have to be optional in local and server settings.

I'm all hardcore realism player, I loathe consoles, but I can't see why I would be given way worse perception and feeling in a game than IRL.

The height difference between a crouched run and a standing run is less than a head in height in the game. Hard to see the difference sometimes unless beside someone else, so why not get one tiny indicator to show something I should KNOW?

It feels pretty retarded that we get exact bullet count in the magazine. But we can't get a stance indicator, which is something we should know exactly but is hard to distinguish only visually, but it's okay to have exact count for something one doesn't have a clue about?

It'd be like playing a flight sim without a fuel or speed gauge just because "I should know."

After playing for a while, you remember your stance more easily. You also learn to recognize the different stances (camera height, movements and sounds are different). You will notice too that : when you check the map or your gear, the character always puts a knee to the ground.

In my opinion, visual cues for things like :"stance, how tired you are, which parts of your body aren't functioning properly" are not necessary as the game gives you enough cues to know exactly what is going on with your character.

I am not knocking down this idea, though. If some people want something like stance indicator/others indicators, I have no problem with this request as long as it can be removed from the screen. Personally, I play with minimum HUD (no crosshair, no radio subtitles) because I don't like these floating stuffs hampering my view.

Isnt it better to ask for slightly better + proper animations instead of consolish icons (workarounds)?

What about adding a optional HUD+icon free screen and beeing able to look and to move+turn around like in real (or close to)? Guess its possible but this would need some extra work, testing and tweaking.

Seems to me that few casual+fun players wont get used to a HUD without consolish indicators.

Addited to tactical shooters since H&D 10 years ago, I won't call myself a casual fun player, but thanks for trying ...

And you should be definitely aware of your stance at anytime without having to think or look at your own body ..

Edited by dunedain

And you should be definitely aware of your stance at anytime without having to think or look at your own body ..

Why do you forget the stance you are currently using, you suffer from A.D.D. ? j/k, no offense:p

because the game will change your stance unknowlingly when you access your map, etc.

You will eventually learn in what stance your character is. You will notice it for example by the speed you are running. But as long as you are not sure, just hit "X" or "C" and you might notice a significant change of the stance or not. Always be ready before going into the fight. ;)

Stance figuring is not something that should be learned. It's supposed to be automatic. Just like I'm not supposed to learn how to tell how tired I am and I'm not supposed to learn how to tell if I got shot in the leg.

The sheer fact that I have many times got shot in the leg without knowing it, then trying to get up and when I start walking it'll automatically drop me to prone. The first time it took me a while to realize wtf is going on. Just admit it - the visual/audio cues just don't cut it for expressing things you should be feeling and not hearing/seeing.

Crosshairs and ammo counters are totally different - they provide information you have absolutely no access to in real life, and thus should be removed - at least on expert difficulty.

Also, using "arcade/casual/cod4/BF2" as an argument for just about anything you disagree with had gotten old a LONG time ago. You're not making your argument any better when you bring any of those up. Let me tell you something - if people preferred those games over Arma 2 they sure wouldn't have been here in the firstplace and don't need you to tell them to go play them instead.

Just to be clear, I would not mind to have a stance indicator on the upper right just like the indicator which pops up when you reload your weapon.

You will eventually learn in what stance your character is. You will notice it for example by the speed you are running. But as long as you are not sure, just hit "X" or "C" and you might notice a significant change of the stance or not. Always be ready before going into the fight. ;)

Eventualy is just a cheap excuse as ACE2...

Unless we make a tread mill and laser sensors to just translate your movements into the game you dont "know" what stance you are in unless checking for visual ques witch is stuid since you need some experience playing to recognise it while irl youd just know since you feal your knee touching the ground etc.

Theres a lot of things you cannot replicate in a game.

You should have some sort of visual indicator of where your hit (legs, arms) since i dont want to have a guy with a AK shooting me into bodyparts to remember where im hit, but stuff like the supaman xray "radar" thing and ammo counters are definatley for the garbage bin.

The stance thing is a bit odd. Sometimes the clutter is rather large, or small, giving the impression that your stance is different. I think a stance indicator would help some players.

Personally, I just tap the relevant stance key I wish to be in just to reinforce my knowledge :)

To chaplainDMK: You did not understand what I meant. By learning the game I meant getting used to its mechanics and take note of its current state. Just like you said, games cannot overcome your visceral movements yet.

To chaplainDMK: You did not understand what I meant. By learning the game I meant getting used to its mechanics and take note of its current state. Just like you said, games cannot overcome your visceral movements yet.

Well stuff like stances shouldnt need to be learned. IRL you feal what stance your in, here you only learn it by visualy checking the hight of your head above the ground.

While ammo counter should just go back to CoD along with the radar witch i only see minor complaints over...

Radar is not visible on higher difficulties, that's why it doesn't get complained much about. Ammo counter is visible on all difficulties. Though I do find it annoying that at any difficulty the radar is still active in the same manner even if it's not visible, and it also sees "through" terrain (that is, if you're slightly behind the ridge line, you'll still be detected) which is probably the source of the complaints about AI having x-ray vision.

i don't support...it's suppose to be realistic...not like your other fps games that show a little green guy on your screen, and when you get shot it turns red...uhhh...not happening.

i don't support...it's suppose to be realistic...not like your other fps games that show a little green guy on your screen, and when you get shot it turns red...uhhh...not happening.

The result of what you want though is that I sometimes don't even know if I'm injured, or don't know where I'm injured or how badly. Sometimes I can't even tell what stance I'm at unless I intentionally try to change my stance and see if it changes or not. This situation is not anywhere near realistic.