Sign in to follow this  
Spectator6

Floating-point mouse steering for vehicles?

Is there any way to have the mouse function with steering be determined by a deviation from "center"? Like, for example, instead of having to turn a jet by constantly moving your mouse to the left (ie scoot the mouse to the side, run out of mousepad/space, pick up the mouse, place it back down where it came from, and slide it over again only to run out of space so you have to pick it up once more... for as long as you need to turn going) could it not be set up to where your mouse starts at the center and any move AWAY from that center location results in a constant turn?

In other words, it would be nice if the mouse was able to function more like a joystick. Need to move slowly in a certain direction? Then offset your mouse slightly from it's "middle" position. Need to move in the direction more quickly? Then move your mouse further from the "middle" position. And the turn will continue until you move your mouse back to the middle position.

And it it could be set up to where the "middle" position isn't an exact position, but a slightly larger area that you would be more forgiving. So it could be like a 2" circle that represents the center (ie a joystick in the upright position) And as you move the mouse further and further away from this 2" circle, it responds in much the same way as tilting the joystick further and further from its upright position. And, just like a joystick, whenever you want the turn to stop, you'd simply move the mouse back within the 2" area on the mousepad.

(Is that making any sense at all?)

To me, that's the most practical and efficient way to program vehicles with a mouse. Especially for aircraft.

Is there any way to set up Arma2 to respond this way in the controls menu? If not, would it be possible to create something like that?

The car more right/more left works sorta like that. It doesn't idle snap to center like the normal car left / car right, at least not as fast.

yeah nose up and down should work like more left or more right in vehicles.

however i didnt liked this kind of steering in vehicles so i changed the binding but i would like to have this kind of steering in air vehicles.

I agree with Spectator6. I have been driving a car for 30 years but find it difficult to drive anything in ArmA2. it just not fun to drive. Games like Freelancer and redbaron-arcade use the type of stearing method suggested by Spectator6 and I think it works well. one of the great things about ArmA2 is the ability to use vehicles. Its a pity they are so hard to control.

I agree with Spectator6. I have been driving a car for 30 years but find it difficult to drive anything in ArmA2. it just not fun to drive. Games like Freelancer and redbaron-arcade use the type of stearing method suggested by Spectator6 and I think it works well. one of the great things about ArmA2 is the ability to use vehicles. Its a pity they are so hard to control.

30 years huh? How old are you?

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

I find it easy to control if using the mouse to look around and using WASD to drive. I would not attempt to use the mouse to drive.

Steering is wrecked since Arma I and apart from being proposed to be fixed or offering a second input model for smoother steering nothing has been done in this section by BIS.

I hate it aswell.

Steering cars, trucks and tanks was fine in OFP and OK in the original ArmA, but they are impossible to drive with a mouse and very difficult with a keyboard in ArmA 2. This is very annoying and I hope it gets fixed the next patch.