Sign in to follow this  
nuggetz

LocalVram - has anyone figured this out?

I've searched but it seems that there's no concrete answer on this. With the latest beta nVidia drivers being discussed right now, ARMA is detecting this:

localVRAM=1820786688;

nonlocalVRAM=1820786688;

Why is the number the same for both local and non-local? Should I change this and set the read-only bit on the config file? I suspect I'm having memory issues since my game degrades when running SLI and wanted to give this a shot but wanted a clear answer. Also, I'm limiting the amount of system RAM during boot-up since I have 8GB. What should I set nonlocalVram to? If ARMA can use only 2GB, would it be 2GB in bytes? Anyone got the real number?

Also, my video cards are sli'd and they each have 768MB of memory? Do I add those and convert to bytes and set that as localVram?

I do not know the difference of both parameters too.

My graphic-hardware has offically 256MB.

ArmAII configfile writes this:

localVRAM=268435456;

nonlocalVRAM=525074400;

I guess the nonlocalVRAM is used from the windows swapfile?

Local is gfx card, nonlocal is the pagefile as stated above. Changing these has no effect on the game.

Local is gfx card, nonlocal is the pagefile as stated above. Changing these has no effect on the game.

...if that's the case, the moderators should sticky this thread and save a lot of people some time messing around with these settings. In general, there should be more stickies around here as there's a lot of valid info buried within some of the massive threads. Would help BIS keep things straight as well but instead we have one massive nVidia thread that someone has to waddle thru.

You want to set your video memory in game to "default" which should get you something approaching the actual amount of ram on your video card. I have dual 8800GTs, and since the ram only counts off one card in SLI I should be seeing 512mb in the CFG. If I set "default" the CFG ends up at about 506mb, and the nonlocal goes to something very close to my Windows swap file.

If I set video memory to "Very high" (which I did previously) the video ram in the config also goes to around 512mb, but the nonlocalvram drops to only 300mb.

Go with "default" then check your CFG to see that your vram and nonlocalvram are close to your actual card/windows swap file sizes (byte/mb calculator here. If they are, set it and forget it.

I should be seeing 512mb in the CFG. If I set "default" the CFG ends up at about 506mb

Thats about right - it reserves a little for backbuffers, etc I think...

and the nonlocal goes to something very close to my Windows swap file.

Also theoretically right - though I've tried varying the size of the pagefile to see if it recalculates - it just seems to decide on an available amount and stick with it...

All works pretty much as datter says on my 8800GTS - though I believe theres detection issues with some cards...

B